Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tie rod end update!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 10:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am going over my 2000 Scrambler 500 to make everything is 100%, so that I can sell it without any worrys.
When I get to the steering I notice some play in the bars, and trace it to the left tie rod end. I disassemble it to find that the thing looks like it is 5 years old! What the *$#@ !!!
Shouldn't these last longer than 5 months?
Well any way I got it cleaned up, so that I could take it to the dealer tomarrow, then I thought I would have a look at my wifes 2000 Blazer to see what kind of shape they were in.
Whats this? No tie rods? Her machine seems to have some sort of sealed Hiem Joint, is this an update or is it specific to the Trailblazer?
Thanks Drew

Old 07-17-2000, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I have been going through a set (both sides) of tie-rod-ends every 3 months. Finally, the dealer told me that they made new ends. He also informed me that I must be hard on my bike. I told him they were made for off road use, thats what I use it for. Anyway, I get the new ends home, $37 lighter. I put them on, didn't take long. Funny thing was, I still had play in my wheels. I traced it to the INNER tie-rod-ends. So, another 40 minute drive each way, another $37 lighter, another hour do-it-yourself, which I don't mind. Well, I guess I should've noticed the inners after all those times changing the outers. Now I know. The set up does seem to be a joke though.

Old 07-18-2000, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

The rubber boot covered design is the "new" standard on the Polaris's . I bought my Sport 400 in 99 , and within a few months...mine were shot also. Went to buy new ones...and they didnt have any of the "old" style, and the new ones...yep.. $30+ . My local dealer came right out and said "yes, Polaris confessed to the faulty design, and that they wear out extremely fast...BUT they wouldnt cover it under warranty..go figure. Anyways..the new ones seem to be much more efficient and should last longer...hopefully.
Id buy the booted new ones if replacing...
Ride on.

Old 07-18-2000, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

I have the rubber boot style, but the ends on my wifes machine arent ball and socket style they are a through bolt design. Like a hiem joint ( I don't know if I am spelling that right).
Is that what they gave you for an updated piece?
Thanks Drew
I just want to get it sold so I can swing the Raptor I have on order.

Old 07-18-2000, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

I had mine changed under warranty. The warranty is bumper to bumper. That means everything in between. Plus a one year on the drive chain. I would have given that dealer hell like he never had.

Old 07-18-2000, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

just an f.y.i. there are some people out here that have used aftermarket hiem joints.. i myself have bought 1/2x1/2 hiem joints for 8 bucks a piece from grainger.. there teflon lined with no grease fitting.. for 8 bucks each and a few bucks for bolts,washers etc. its got to be worth a shot, cheaper than polaris parts. my machine is about 8 mos. old and has the new style end with boots and they have about 1/4-1/2 inch of play on the bars,so i dont know if the new style are all that much better. i havent had time to do it yet but others on here have..there are some old posts on this subject.