Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

6 months with 2004.5 Sportsman 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 months with 2004.5 Sportsman 400

Back in October of 2003 I purchased a brand new 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 400, and I'd like to share my experiences with it.

First of all, I've currently got 885 miles on mine. I feel this has been plenty of riding experience to get to know the machine real well.

Let me begin by saying I've had no major problems with it. When I first got it, it was cutting out a little at full throttle, but I cleaned the filters and haven't had a problem with it since. That's the only normal maintainence I've done to it besides changing the oil. The only other work I've done on it was replacing the front crumple cage (may not be correct terminology). This was due to hitting a two feet deep, two foot wide drainage ditch going about 30. I flew off the front over the handlebars, got up, it was still running, and backed right out of it. The only damage was the crumple cage, which is a few pieces of steel welded together to save the radiator and such. Let's just say it did it's job.

This would be a good time to point out the reverse over-ride switch. This enables you to give it more power in reverse, which is how I got out of that hole. This feature is invaluable.

Now, to power. In my opinion, it's got plenty of power. It easily surmounts sizeable logs and steep hills. The ground clearance on this thing is also quite impressive. Top speed is about 50 on flat ground, and i've got it up to 56 going downhill. I've drove it throught 12"+ snow drifts and and through 5-8" of mud no problem. One thing about driving through mud is that the rear fender guards catch a lot of the mud from the front tires.

Comfort-wise it's hard to beat. The seat is nice and soft, and the independent rear suspension makes trail riding quite comfortable. I can ride over tough terrain for hours and not feel like I've had the crap beat out of me.

On another note, I think the Sportsman family is the sexiest line of quads. I know some people may not agree with this, but it's just got a certain look...mean, yet graceful.

Gas mileage is pretty good, though I really don't have anything to compare it to. I get around 80 miles on a full tank (4.25 gallons), so that's about 18.8 mpg. I do wish it had a larger fuel tank. The gas mileage limits your ride to a 40 mile radius unless you carry extra fuel. Remeber, I live in South Dakota, so 40 miles isn't that far. One thing to note is that the digital fuel guage seems a little inaccurate for the most part.

Overall, I am more than satisfied with this four wheeler. It's a dependable workhorse that has never let me down, and gets me where I want to go. I would recommend it to anyone who does not consider top speed the most important buying decision. My next four wheeler will definetely be a Sportsman.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if i ever got a 4x4 it would be a 500.... but i dont think the need for speed, climbing hills and jumping is gonna leave me anytime soon...
glad you like your new ride and welcome to the forums!

Old 04-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

I agree. So far I love our Sportsman and I don't see the need for more power at all. Take a look at my signature, power isn't something I mind.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Of course you're preaching to the choir, Oztracker but that's OK! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I really like my 400 AND my 500! I just wanted to say that I agree with what you said but you touched on the looks of the Sportsman. I have always felt the same way, even before I bought, I looked at others and they look pretty cool but the last one I saw was the Polaris and it just looked so much better than all the others. I can't put my finger on what causes that but it's there.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

Same here.. I have been Impressed with mine also..No problems other than some jetting issues.
Im getting mine to where I want it now, with the heelclicker in (white spring, shoulder weights only), and Dyno jet, K&N..I can Wheelie in high with a little Body English, and In low will stand Straight up just sitting on the seat, I have hit about 57 MPH on flat ground and it gets to 50 MPH VERY quickly now on a slight uphill, where stock I could get about 42 at the same point.
I still have a little work to do to dial in the DYNOJET perefectly, but its great so far.
Ride is Good, Everything is still tight.. Happy so far.

Ron
04 Sportsman 400
Heelclicker w/ Polaris White Spring
Dynojet
K & N
Magellan GPS

Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, have to add.. (since I cant believe noone else added this).. The best part of te Sportsman is slipping it into Low, slipping the 4wd switch into the on Position, then tackling the root infested banks and boulder fields. THESE are the conditions the Sportsman shines in..In other areas, it may have a slower top speed, it may have slower acceleration , But in its element, its untouchable for a 400 cc ATV. Besides, it was much easier to make the Sportsman 400 faster with a few mods, than it is to make something else perform as well in the rough..

Old 04-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

In the knarliest, most obstacle infested trails, nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats a Sportsman!!!!! My '03 500 absolutely shines in these situations. After 1300 miles, I know without a doubt that I made the right choice. For the riding I do, there is no better quad made than the Sportsman.

On another note, Shaman, it's nice to see another friendly face over here too. The ATVnews forums can be kinda brutal on Polaris owners. But hey, we know how good our machines are, so who cares what others think.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the mud infested, root hanging , rock surfaces.....it will go just about anywhere...low gear eats!

Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

Yet over on ATV Time forums, they're telling me I'm full of it when I say that our 2004.5 Sportsman will go through just about anything with the new Carlisle tires...

(hrm, seems ATV Connection has blocked URLS to there... heh)

Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well I wont say it will go through anything, I mean A person with 26" - 28 " Mud tires on a Grizz is going to laugh at you for saying a STOCK sportsman will go where he will.. But I do think the only 2 machines that could compete with the Sportsman in EXTREME terrain, Im not talking deep mud , Just ROck climbing, Steep banks, off cambers etc.. would be a Grizz or the new AC 650. Simply because they both have IRS like the Sportsman to help keep all 4 wheels on the ground and pulling in the off cambers, and the ground clearance also.. However it seems both of those models are a tad more "tippy"

Boy it really is hard to go wrong these days when shopping for a quad!!

Ron

Quick Reply: 6 months with 2004.5 Sportsman 400