Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

octane boosters.............

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default octane boosters.............

Originally posted by: 20045SP500HO
Running high octane fuel in a low compression engine will REDUCE performance, as the higher octane rating is its resistance to combustion and the fuel will not completely burn in the chamber.
Gosh its good to see some newbies who have this info on hand. Its best to run the lowest octane in your engine that does not predetonate. Higher octane can even cause a reduction in performace as was said. For most 11:1 and under machines you can run pump gas without a problem. For a 2 stroke most run premium at 170 psi or less. Its been a while since I looked at 2 stroke octane recommendations though.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:46 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to run 93 or better....and I also run a little octane booster too.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Range Rover

20045SP500 and Maddog are right, unless you are running a high compression motor, higher octane will only slow you down. All high octane does in fuel is slow the burn... that is it. Fuel at the right heat under compression will ignite without any flame, spark, etc (Diesel for example). This is what predetonation is. Octane changes the heat to compression that the fuel will ignite at.... did I loose you yet? So if your running stock compression and put 110 in it, you will slow down on acceleration. It doesn't hurt anything (and yes you can use high octane fuel in 2 stokes) but will slow you down. For best performance (like maddog said) run the lowest octane you can without detonating. A general rule of thumb is it takes 175 psi cylinder pressure to burn 110 octane fuel efficiently (of course there are many other variables). A stock 2 stroke quad is probably around 125-135 psi.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

This is something that the fuel companies have driven into consumer's heads for many years, higher octane (premium) = better performance. Years ago (early fuel injector days), premium was the only grade with detergents in the fuel - so premium had a valid selling angle. Now all grades have detergents, and like was already stated - not only will it cost you more - but it may reduce your performance. Watch when you pull into the gas station though - people still put premium in their cars, when they are obviously stock and can run on 89 octane.
I must admit that when I fill up my Z28, it still feels odd saying "regular". But that's all it needs.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: 20045SP500HORunning high octane fuel in a low compression engine will REDUCE performance, as the higher octane rating is its resistance to combustion and the fuel will not completely burn in the chamber.
Gosh its good to see some newbies who have this info on hand.
Yes it is. Welcome 20045SP500HO!

Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

True octane booster can only be held in a metal can. so the stuff u see in plastic bottles isnt true stuff.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

I was told that with higher octane comes higher tempaeratures so I don't ever run anything higher than 89 in an air colled machine, and like one of the other posts, I run the octane that is just above detonation and keep using that. The only time I run high octane is if the machine, such as a waverunner or motorcyle gets run for the first time or two after a winter, I was told it helps to blance out the old gas that is in the tank and carbs.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html.

i make the toluene octane booster and run in both of my stock harley's. they start easier.run cleaner,and i get a noticable performance boost.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Don't use octane boosters, use oxygen additive boosters, that way you can jet up....more fuel = more power.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks to everone who has posted on this thread, you guys have been of great help to read all the replies that have been sent. Thank You.........

Quick Reply: octane boosters.............