Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

make your own dyno--is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default make your own dyno--is it safe?

Ok I will be getting a pred tommarrow ( [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] ) and it will be brand new and require some break in. Ive done lots of reaserch, and decided that the way I will be breaking it in will be the "ride it hard" way. That being said, I have ridden preds before and know how powerful they are. And I dont have the room (or the *****, yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) to break it in like I want to. So, I was wondering if it would be safe for the machine to kinda make a homemade dyno, like set the bike on jacks and give it the gas and break it in like I want to (I know all about giving it the cool down peroids and how you supposed to do it when you on a dyno) Is this OK to do?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: simster570
Ok I will be getting a pred tommarrow ( [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] ) and it will be brand new and require some break in. Ive done lots of reaserch, and decided that the way I will be breaking it in will be the "ride it hard" way. That being said, I have ridden preds before and know how powerful they are. And I dont have the room (or the *****, yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) to break it in like I want to. So, I was wondering if it would be safe for the machine to kinda make a homemade dyno, like set the bike on jacks and give it the gas and break it in like I want to (I know all about giving it the cool down peroids and how you supposed to do it when you on a dyno) Is this OK to do?
Are you serious? I have gonna print this one off!

Old 04-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't have to ride the living **** out of it, you can just ride it as hard as you can or to your ability, that'd be retarded to break in your new Predator with a homeade dyno. Just my 2 cents

Old 04-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks 400ex, Thats what I needed to know. I dont know what garyc660r's problem is..maybe its because he bought a raptor intead of a pred [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: simster570
Ok thanks 400ex, Thats what I needed to know. I dont know what garyc660r's problem is..maybe its because he bought a raptor intead of a pred [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
I dont think he has any problem..... I was kinda thinking the same thing as garyc660r. WTF r u thinking is more like what Im thinking!!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2 cents is, your crazy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i wouldnt try it if i were you!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to say thats the worst idea i have ever heard of.... if i got a brand new 4 wheeler i would want to ride the thing not set it up on a home maid stand.... besides when your braking it in just dont hold it wide open at first and after 5-10 hours start opening it up all the way just dont hold it wide open for a for more then a couple seconds at first..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It's a good idea but it won't work. You have to load the motor, and you can't do that on a jack. Now if you had some way to load the motor like some rollers hooked up to a pump then that would work. Like you, I like to break my motors in hard, but like someone already said, you have to get too **** about this. Make sure you motor is up to operating temp before you drop the hammer on it.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i think the "break it in like you ride it" thing is stupid...
imma be sexual on this... its like the "first time"
you dont just start ramming and give it all you got... you gotta go slow and easy... or she will start bitchin....

Old 04-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hozed, Is that how the white tail take up in the NorthEast?lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: make your own dyno--is it safe?