Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rcr stage one

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcr stage one

i have the midrange kit and black orange spring with a 155 main. i put it all on and nailed it and i was like **** wheres all that power ive heard about. i didnt want to let myself believe it but it wasnt the night and day difference everyone had talked about but its ok now becuase now i know that my piston rings were begining to stick then and now are stuck and its a pain to start now. rick told me i should bore it and put in a new piston. i thought she was runnin rich when i first got it so i put in the 140. heres my mistake, it dropped to about 35-40 degrees when i went riding that night. im assumin it was runnin lean because of the temp. would this cause my piston rings to get stuck? should i see all my power when i redo my top end? thanks, scott

Old 04-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

Yes the temp could affect jetting enough to cause trouble. Can you post a pic of the piston and rings. What elev. are you riding at?

Jeff

Old 04-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

the elevation is between 500-700ft. i cant get pics posted yet becuase i keep the quad at my grandpas house. i sure hope he dosnt go off and take it to the dealer. he dosnt relize the amount of money we can save by doing it outselves. how do i tourqe down teh bottom 4 jug bolts? is the tool cheap?

Old 04-19-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

Too lean for sure I would say a 160+ would be a good jet for the colder temps. I can have my cyl off in about 30 min. or less
You do not have to remove any plastic.
1 seat off
2 air box
3 carb.
4 upper cyl mount kinda pain in a$$
5 pipe springs front and back turn pipe so outta your way no need to remove.
6 piston at bottom of stroke
7 cyl base nuts
8 off with the cyl it will come out without hitting the tank.

When putting back together I find it easiest to put one wrist pin clip in the piston then put the piston in the jug leave it out far enough to put wrist pin in then your other clip and slid jug on down over studs.

That is way better than putting the piston on the rod first ang trying to compress the rings and hold the jug and all that with stuff in your way.

As for the tool you can make one out of a cheap 14mm box end wrench cut it off about 2 in long and weld a cheap socket to end to put your tourqe wrench in if you do this let me know I ill find the formula for how much tourqe to subtract for the length of the adptor.

Yes tourqe is importante but you can just snug them up good and check them after a few rides I have never had a prob. If you have a good feel with a wrench then just snug them up all even and you'll be fine. I like A little blue locktite JMO.

thought all this might help you out.

Jeff

Old 04-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

Just worndering mudmaster what made you think it was rich with the 155? What airbox mods have you done? did you get the foam air filter?
I ride at 3000-4500 elev. and with a 150 im on the edge of a melt down all the time I change my needle clip on the trail for temp and elev. changes all the time I could run a 155 and not worry about it but I want max power all the time.
So anyway Im sure you should be able to run that 155 at your elev. and not be rich but every quad is a little different Rick said most people are a 160 with my setup so who knows. did you have a 130 stock?

Jeff

Old 04-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

ah where to start lol. well i have the inside duct removed on the airbox. and my plug was black but heres the kicker. i cleaned it and didnt use a new one(stupid me) i didnt know that it would always go back to black. then i decided to change it to a 140 and it got really cold that night and i was at my friends house with no way to change the jet and besides his cousin was there and i didnt want to leave because shes a real looker but i guess it sorta bit me in the a$$ lol. girls, what are they good for?!?!?! lol, i am in the process of drilling some small holes in my snorkel in the topside, i dont want to much water to get in so im not doing many and they wont be big. rick told me a 155 with my set up and 160 in the winter. im gonna leave it at the 155 so i dont ahve to worry about burnin down. so i dont have to tourqe the base studs down? i mean i will be able to get them even no prob but i just wanna make sure its not gonna fall off or something lol. i can tourqe head down no prob. i need a service manual but i think i can get it done without one. i know a few things about engines since i read the article in atv sport if anyone of u read the article quit awhile ago that said in detail every single step on a top end rebuild (two and fourstroke) im thinkin of rick or dennis to do the boring. rick is backed up pretty bad from what ive heard so im gonna see what kinda turnaround dennis has and what his prices are. if his porting (not reed conversion) is comparable with ricks prices then i may have him bore, port, and send me a piston. and he said that he always gas ports the 250 pistons that only get port jobs. it had a 130 stock and i have the foam twin air.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

Ok good with your limited air box mod's you should be fine with the 155 just like rick said. (Guess I sould have read your sig closer It said you had the twin air filter LOL)
Quote..
"so i dont have to tourqe the base studs down? i mean i will be able to get them even no prob but i just wanna make sure its not gonna fall off or something lol."

No you don't have too All I have ever done is just tighten them up good (never had a prob[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) But just because I do it that way don't make it right either. And I would never ever tell someone to just tighten up a cyl head there are some areas on a engine you can get away with and some you can't. I feel the base is a area you can but I also turn wrenches everyday so I have a pretty good feel for it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Tell ya what I have a extra tool the real thing not even the homemade job I was telling you about if you want it let me know Ill send it tommorrow for free you'll have it by the time you need it and you can keep it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Jeff

Old 04-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

aw shucks jeff that would be great. let me see if my grandpa is gonna let me first. heres the deal im makin with him. if i tear it down and thats not whats wrong with it then ill re asemble it and take it to the dealer and he can pay for it. is there anything else i would need like a ring compresor or is it easy to get them in teh cylinder? can anyone scan or even take a digital picture of the pages in the service manual of how to do it so that i can show my grandpa that i know what im doing? thanks for all the help jeff. scott

Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Range Rover
Default rcr stage one

No spring compressor needed,use you fingers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default rcr stage one

well i got the ok from grandpa and its comin apart on saterday. were doing a compression check first though.

Quick Reply: rcr stage one