Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please tell me I didn't kill my brand new Trail Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So saturday I got a 2000 Trail Blazer. As I was leaving the store I bought some 2-Stroke oil and I asked the owner guy if I needed to do anything special to break-in the engine. He said no not really the gas that's in it has oil added (in addition to the oil injection). I asked if I needed to use up the rest of that tank (already on reserve, thanks polaris) before filling up. He said no, It's not that big of a deal.

So they dropped off the little beast and I went for a ride, Then I filled up the tanks, oil and gas, and went for a longer ride. I took it pretty easy but on the way back I went through this muddy road, probably about 500 feet or so. Not bad just some puddles missed most hit a couple slow, why do farmers water the roads anyway?? Anyway, I got through the wet part and the bike just died. Dead, wouldn't start. At first I thought something got wet. I ended up pushing the stupid thing home about a mile, and let it sit for a while, I'm sure it was floaded in addition to whatever other problems it had. Well later it started and I drove it around the house a couple times and it died again. At this point I was getting pretty tired of pushing the thing.

As I last resort I read the manual. The manual says, "Important mix 12.8 oz of oil with your first tank of gas for proper break-in" (or something like that). I added 12oz to the tank, I hadn't used much out of it, and It ran fine-no more pushing.

What happened?? Did I overheat the poor thing it's first trip out. Is there metal on metal grinding inside my motor now??

It didn't seem too hot when it died but nothing was very wet either. I bought it off the floor with pretty close to 0 hours on it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-25-2000, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Most dealers fill the tanks up for customers, 2-stroke or 4-stroke. I would call the dealer and try to get a story, if it's screwed up and his fault, warrenty.

Old 07-25-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I think farmers water thier roads to keep dust levels down. Sound like an overheating problem. Get the dealers story, They'll probably tell you to bring it back, start it a couple times over a two day period, give you some BS story, and tell you its fine. Ride it like you normally would. It's under warranty for six months.

Old 07-26-2000, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

If I did overheat it am I going to have major damage; things cracked, and warped, and scored; or will it be okay.

I'm not real excited about taking up the problem with the dealer. I guess I don't want to deal with the run-around, it runs fine B.S.

Does anyone have experience with break-in, using or not using pre-mix?

2-strokes are new to me if it did overheat would it just suddenly die? I've wondered if it could be a problem with that throttle overide feature that cuts power if the gas sticks.

I've put a little over half a tank through it without the problem reoccuring.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-26-2000, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

While riding about a month ago, my Sport just died, like it ran out of gas. I had coolant all over me, also that overheating smell was quite obvious. I waited about ten minutes, and it started right up, but died again rather quickly. I got a tow back to camp, and looking over it, I found my radiator was a sloid wall of mud. I never thought to hose it out each time after riding, but spend a fair amount of time doing so each time I wash it now. I know yours is air cooled, so it gets its coolant through the oil in the pre-mix. I would bet that this is what happened, lack of oil/coolant. When breaking it in, just dont keep the same rpm's for over 10-15 seconds. Run a whole tank of pre-mix through it, and it will be broke in. One other thing, find a new dealer to have your repairs done at, the one you bought the bike at harbors incompetant idiots as mechanics/set up people.

Old 07-27-2000, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Chainman, when it dies, try unscrewing the gas cap and see if it starts back up. If it starts back up, the gas tank vent hose is kinked causing vapor lock.