Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Finally time to mod the Pred....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally time to mod the Pred....

Ok guys.....Its finally time to start modding my pred(that is once I begin my summer job, and make a little more money, but in a few weeks). So I am looking at Doug's website, which is where I'll probably get my parts and service done at. Here is what I am looking at: HPD exhaust: $250(450-200 for my wb pipe that i can sell to my cousin) 12.5 wiseco piston: $139 Port and Flow: $300(maybe more.....probably like $350) Valve springs: $89 That totals up to be about $780-830. As of right now, unless this really helps, I don't think I can afford the Vortex Ignition(mainly because when I get that, I want to also get a set of Doug's cams and the Vortex can be programmed for his cams). I will however probably get a bigger carb....I am thinking either a Mikuni TM 45(pumper carb) or a Lectron 44 mm racing carb or a Lectron 48 mm racing carb. Which one...I'm not sure of right now, what do you guys suggest for a carb. I don't even know anything about this pumper carb, or even what a pumper is. So with the carb, that can set me up about $400-600....and with all of the gaskets and oil and filters, puts me up to about....$1230-1430. What do you guys suggest about this set up?? Any different ideas?? Thanks for all of the input. Oh yeah and one more question, would you just save up the money a little longer and get a 558 kit?? Thanks again, Brad

Old 04-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't do any of that, myself. I'd get a set of front reservoirs and some hand guards then call it a day. As for the rest of the mods, I'd go with the best big bore kit available if it's power you want... you'll be happier... but for my money, suspension mods are where it's at.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I personally don't want the rezzies, if I go that route, I'll get new shocks and rezzies all together...and handgaurds are not in my nature....I personally am looking for power and quickness.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

geez.... sounds like your tryin to be as fast as my yfz with all that serious talk... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

most of you guys no my opinion on HPD after a recent post... but whatever... ive seen there pipe... it sounded good... but i didnt like how it looked... JMO.. but it looked very cheaply made. but it is supose to be a great pipe... and i have no proven facts to go either way with it... but HPD also has no dyno runs or anything to show there power gains with it... not even a number anywhere...
as far as the HC piston... great... but remember the extra cost of running a race fuel... if you just ride to play around then i suggest not doing it... it will be costly... as the rest of the mods go.. i say do it if ya got the cash.... ask doug what carb he thinks would be the best to go with for your setup.

and i agree with ya on the shocks... why buy rezzies for 300$ + installation when you can buy a whole shock with much better performance for a little more.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Personally, leave your WB, maybe get a CFM or other type of aluminum airbox so you can go lidless and have outerwears covering the lid...that will help the engine breath. Then put in the 12.5:1 piston and the springs...that's all the further you really will need to go if you are doing the xc races. Get a steering dampner, and the rezzis are a huge advantage, otherwise save for shocks. Power means nothing if you can't get it to the ground, when you spend money on a machine, always upgrade the handling before you think about more power! By the way, did you race indianola? Just wondering how you did? I'm still waiting for my backordered sidecases on my YFZ, so I raced my buddies stock raptor in the A class...needless to say I got my **** handed to me, but I didn't place last!

Old 04-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

IMO this is what i would do:

First get rid of that stock carb and air box..

Carb with clamp on filter(who needs an air box)

HMF full system

If i were you i wouldn't mess with a 12.5:1 piston, if your going to rip into the engine go with a big bore HPDs 558 seems to be a nice kit,then do valve spring upgrades,porting etc....

Old 04-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks guys.....ill probably get the clamp on filter anyways....yeah i may big bore it, not sure yet....i also like being fast in the sand....so i'm thinking that way too. Didn't race xc, too busy here at school.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i'd agree don't go with just the piston go bore, on my ds's one is just a piston and one is a bigger bore, hugh difference.