Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How should i test the plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should i test the plug?

Rock on Rick!! Very informative. Thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Now I have some questions, to Rick or anyone that can answer them. I am not very fluent with jetting. I just took her to the shop when I needed it to be rejetted for the dunes, trail, winter, etc., and by doing so I knew that it needed a 250 from 40 deg F, to normal summer conditions when trail riding or normal riding. And it needed a 260 for the dunes. Now, I, need to figure it out. I cut my airbox so that I really have no airbox now. It is just the stock UNI filter with just the bottom of the old airbox that it mounts to and the boot going from it to the carb with just enough of the old plastic to use the old mounting screws. So esentally it is an exposed foam filter.

with what I have described, will I have to re-jet the pilot or adjust any thing other than the main?

I put in a 280 main, and before I started I pulled out the plug to see what it looked like before I tried the 280, and it was black. I started it up and reved it up a couple times the gave it about 1/4 throttle for about 15 seconds at the most and hitt the kill switch. Pulled the plug and it was still black.

I should add that I live in Michigan...

1) Am I correct in the way that I am doing this?
2) Should I be using a new plug for every test?
3) Are there any other adjustments that I should be making?
4) what part of the RPM range does the Main or other adjustment effect, and how do I go about adjusting the correctly?
5) Should the motor be warmed up first?
6) I did this test while it was up on the stand in nutral. Should it be ridden or under a load for the test? Or is this correct?

If you have anything else to add for consideration, feel free to!

Old 05-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

i have been wondering how to check my plug too, do u just give it the throttle first ill start with 1/4 so i give it throttle for like 10 seconds or what? and in what gear do u do it, then u hit the kill switch and then when it comes to a stop u release the throttle? then u pull out the plug and look at the tip? am i right?