Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Shooting Outta My Vent Hose on Pred!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Shooting Outta My Vent Hose on Pred!!

First off Im using Mobile 1 MX4T oil.. My problem is that after riding it hard for about 30 minutes I have oil SHOOTING outta my vent hose that is supposed to go to the airbox. I have a little K&N breather filter on it now but it has BLOWN it off twice and I have all kinds of oil all over everything dripping and all... This has happened twice. Its been about 100-105 both times it happened. My little red temp light has NEVER turned on nor did it seem like it was running hot...if anything it runs like a champ......Im not sure whats going on here but could it be the fully synthetic oil im running? I never had these kinds of problems before when running the cheap a$$ valvoline 10w40 for 4 stroke oil that they sell at autozone....but i've been running the mobile 1 religiously in all my toys lately and now im having these problems.... what is up? Is anyone having problems w/ oil coming outta their vent hose in large amounts? as you can see in the pics its coming out in a lot more than it should be.......look at the swingarm and the side pieces...all the smoke coming up after a ride from it burning on the Pipe and the worst part of it is it blows all over my leg!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/phu_ket...ics/rearsa.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/phu_ket...cs/rearsac.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/phu_ket.../pics/side.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/phu_ket...pics/smoke.jpg

Old 05-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well some how your getting compression back into your crank case forcing the oil out,Could be bad rings/broken ring(s) or bad valve seals/seats... I would do a compression leak down test....

I don't think it could be the oil,something is forcing the oil out if its "shooting" out like you say...

Good Luck,
TrailRider

Old 05-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

I haven't had time to research why yet, but I too have had a large amount of oil comin out of my airbox, and i'm not likin the idea of tearin in to this thing QUITE yet. I was hopin for a 580 kit this fall, but if we've gotta tear it down, might as well make it worth the while.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

its not the type of oil.. i ran the mx4t stuff for a looong time in my pred... thats odd though... trailriders idea sounds like that could happen...
did you overfill by anychance?

Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
its not the type of oil.. i ran the mx4t stuff for a looong time in my pred... thats odd though... trailriders idea sounds like that could happen...
did you overfill by anychance?
Well I only put in 2 quarts.......

Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hey are you supposed to check the engine oil when its warmed up or before you start it up?

Old 05-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I have noticed is whenever I shut it off there is a little bit of smoke coming outta the silencer.....not sure if this makes a diff....but its a very little amount..

Old 05-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

2 quarts is the right amount, You have to check it after you start it because the oil don't flow out of the oil tank till it starts then the oil level will drop..

If its also burning a little oil then there is a good chance its what i said in my other post....

Old 05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

My ds 650 would do the same only after riding the hell out of it and get hot . crank case pressure, alot of the ds guys run a crank vent traps keeps the oil from going all over your bike.

Old 05-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sand45
My ds 650 would do the same only after riding the hell out of it and get hot . crank case pressure, alot of the ds guys run a crank vent traps keeps the oil from going all over your bike.
whats a crank vent trap? Happen to have a pic of this?

Quick Reply: Oil Shooting Outta My Vent Hose on Pred!!