Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 Accessory Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about getting some accessories for my machine, and right now I am considering a swing arm skid plate, and a front bumper. Whats confusing me is that I went to two dealers, and one dealer sais that he sells a bundle of the skid plates and that they are really great to have, and at the other dealer, they said that they dont carry any in stock, becuase they never sell any, and that they really are not needed. So I figured I come to the best and honest place for advice, this forum. So what do you guys think about the skid plate, and do you guys think that a front bumper would be useful ( I like to do a lot of woods riding with some utility quads ). Also, what about the rear rack they make for the scrambler? Thanks Guys.....Neil

Old 08-01-2000, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Neil

Just remember, this is your atv and not your dealers. You know your riding habits better than they do. A skid plate depends on the type of riding you are doing. The brake caliber and sprocket have some protection. If you do a lot of riding where there is a lot of rocks, you may want to invest in the skid plate. If you are just riding over small logs and brush, I doubt its necessary. The same goes for the bumper. If your pushing through a lot of brush and sticks that could potentially harm the radiator, get a bumper. If not, save your money and keep the weight off the front end. Just remember, you know your riding habits better than anyone else, pick your mods to suit your riding style.

Old 08-01-2000, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

I had the rear rack and the front one installed upon delivery. The rear one is a nececety for me as I use my quad for fishing and adventuring deep in the woods. I removed my front rack a few weeks ago because I wanted a more sporty look and I usually don't put anything on it! Get what is good for your needs...

Old 08-01-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you wanna see a pic of my bumper tell me and i will email it to you.

Old 08-02-2000, 07:43 AM
Range Rover

Have a rear rack on my SC500 works great looks good too. I personaly wouldnt get the swing arm plate. It takes away from ground clearance and is more apt to hang up in the mud. I ride in the woods alot and feel the factory protection is fine. Just be careful of large rocks.

Old 08-02-2000, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have both front and rear racks on the Scrambler. Honestly.. The front rack is useless.. I can't put ANYTHING on it.. But, SHE likes it, so its on there!!..
The back rack will save your fenders if you happen to roll it over.. What I would suggest is a set of boot guards, and a RCR lower steering post bushing. If yours isn't sloppy yet, it WILL be. I have seen the swingarm skid plates on Scramblers before.. But, they usually don't last long around here.. They seem to get destroyed. Maybe its a regional thing..??..

Old 08-03-2000, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

MudMachine, for the swing arm skid plate that you mentioned, do they get destroyed becuase they did their job of protecting the swing arm, or are do they just wear out easily?? But I am definitally going to get the rear rack, and a bumper for now will be lowest priority. Neil