Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SMOKED?? BELT SPORTSMAN 335

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know my problem with that is though... On a traditional quad with a shifter, if you slow down you down shift and keep going. You do NOT have to stop. To shift to low range. I'm stopping. And since I'm prone to exploring, I may find myself diddy-boppin' along and a steep hill or deep little creek crossing that I didn't know was there and it would not be too fun to stop on!! Just can't shift it on the fly....

Old 08-02-2000, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

BUCK
Well there are draw backs in everything,I know what you are saying but on the other hand to shift you lose (no matter how fast you are) momentum.With stick you either have speed or power.With auto you just give it more throttle.Each has good and bad points,I ride the mtn's alot and love the auto,in spring we run alot of snow piles.We hit them and go on through,my buddy has KODIAK with stick he will hit it in higher gear for speed,then when he needs power and try's to shift down he goes down along with it.There have been times where climbing a hill he didn't have right gear and would get stuck on side of hill trying to shift.These are only some examples of things that come to mind.Each has it's good and bad side,but for me the auto is the ticket.You just have to adjust,if'n ya don't want to stop and shift carry extra belt and get used to changeing it.Myself I've yet to burn a belt,but then again I'm used to stopping and shifting.Just boils down to what trips your trigger,myself I hate giving the dealer anymore of my hard earned money than I have to.CM

Old 08-02-2000, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

AMEN to that!! I'll be stopping and shifting. Like I said originally. I'm learning. This is my first quad without a real clutch. Been riding these sport quads for too long. HA!