Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SMOKED?? BELT SPORTSMAN 335

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright my fellow POLARIS riders. I'm learning with my first POLARIS. I was attempting to climb a hill, with another person (GASP!!, don't lie, you all do it too) on the back. I was in HIGH range 4 wheel drive and the quad just stopped. A lot of smoke (From the belt I assume) poured out. I had the other person get off and rode up myself. I changed to low range and was able to ride with yes ANOTHER person on the quad. Up and down hills.
My question is, short of tearing the quad apart to inspect the belt. Anyway of telling how much I roasted off of it? Anyone else smoke their belt frequently? How long have they lasted, generally? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Buckeye

Let me guess, You were down an Monday Creek trying those hills with two people !!! Anyhow, I have made the belt on my Magnum smoke a few times because I didn't use low gear when I should. I can notice that it is not as quick on the starts as it used to be. I have another belt for it, but I have not changed it yet. I'm trying to squeeze the remaining life out of it. I have become more conscience about using the low gear, especially in the hill climbs. Besides taking off the cover, the only way that I know to tell if the belt is worn is by the feel of the machine. If it feels like its slipping upon take off, its probably time to spend the $30 for a new one. Ride Hard and Safe.

Old 08-02-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

The truth is, your belt is damaged. It could still be useable but it's better to replace it. I smoked mine a little bit last year and I didn't replace it and it is working with no noticeable decrease in performance. To date I have 1300 miles on my quad on the original belt. The number one rule for belt longevity is "use low range" when going through mud or up steep hills especially when doubling.
Some other ATVers on this forum have stated 3 to 4 thousand miles on a belt before needing replacement.

Old 08-02-2000, 01:13 PM
GJ
Range Rover

My friend smoked mine a bit trying to get a feel for the belt drive. Starting at the bottom of a small ditch and trying to crawl out. After that I noticed a vibration in the tranny. Turns out that where it was burned the width of the belt was visually thinner (width wise) and would thump when it went in and out of the pulley. Needed a new belt though. GJ

Old 08-02-2000, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

$30!!?? Not bad. I was thinking much worse. I guess it might be a little bit slower out of the hole than it was before. Probably smoked it a good bit. How difficult is the change? Cover off and back on? Any special tools required? Could it be repaired while out on the trail?
Also, I wasn't on Monday Creek, just out around Johnstown on private property, but the hill was decent enough to smoke it. HA! I'll be picking up a new belt, Just in case!! Thanks for the replies!!

Old 08-02-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Buckeye

I have not changed my belt yet, so I do not know what is involved. The only thing I know is get the cover sealed good or it will leak and the new belt will slip. You can pick up a Dayco Max belt from Shadetree for about $28 plus shipping. Call them at 1-888-Shadetree. They are in Middletown, OH, so you should have it in about one to two days. I keep one in my toolkit as its cheap insurance against a ruined weekend.

Old 08-02-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Magnum, thanks for the tip on where to buy. I'll give them a call. Is that belt tougher than the stocker? Yeah, It must be sealed good now, from the showroom, because I had heard they would slip in deep water. The wife drove off in to a DEEP hole down in Wayne stopped and then drove right out. Tires were barely showing. It didn't seem to slip then.

Old 08-02-2000, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Buckeye

I have no first hand experience as to whether the Dayco Max belt is better than the stock belt. Many people in the forum swear by them. I'll let you know what I think of it when my factory belt gives out.

Old 08-02-2000, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

I smoked a belt on my SP and took it to the ealre they said it looke dfine but then they took it off and use the ....i forget what its called but it measures the belt width all of the way around...and said there was no damage....

maybe alittle bump bu nothing critical

I sliped mine while winching down a birch tree and putting in in reverse when the winch started dragging the Sp500 forward....big mistake

Old 08-02-2000, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Good rule of thumb if you have to slow down for something,put it in low gear thats what it's for.CM

Quick Reply: SMOKED?? BELT SPORTSMAN 335