Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Poor fitting HPD parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had this problem with HPD stuff.

For my 96 400 Scrambler, I have got an HPD pipe & clutch kit, foot pegs and lower strearing post bush. I had to modify the springs to hold the pipe on, and the mount for the rubber stopper needed serious beating with a hammer to make it slightly usefull. The head adaptor for the pipe had the holes lined up incorrectly, and needed filing out to get it to fit. The pipe still rests on the gear selector. The foot peg on the right hand side neede about 10mm cut off to get it to fit beside the chain guard. Then last night I tried to fit the stearing post bush. What a sod. The bolts that come with it are bigger than the stock. Have you ever tried to get a drill in the cramped space to drill a couple of 1/4" holes at the bottom of the stearing post. I ended up breaking a drill bit off os I had a small stump stick out the end of my drill. However, once it was in there, the stearing post fits nice, and NO SLOP.

I have also fitted new bushes at the top, and my custom Tie rods which cost me about $100 all up. I can now get replcaement parts for them cheaply and easly.

I want a cool head, and was tosing up between the HPD and the GP Performance one. I am favoring the GP one after all the problems I have had with the other HPD stuff. Anyone fitted either of these to a 400? Are any of them any good, and are they worth while?

TheJoka
400Scram

Old 08-03-2000, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my HPD accessories fit nicely on my 99 Sport. I have installed the steering post bushing on 4 buddies quads, and had to drill them all out. A small price to pay for this mod. I used a Dremmel tool with a drill bit in it and it worked nicely.

I am also looking into a cool-head, and also thinking of installing a bigger carb.