Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a 96 explorer 300. Sometimes the AWD works and other times it will just sit and spin. Also sometimes it will only work in low or in reverse. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the problem is and how it could be fixed. Thanks

Old 08-06-2000, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like it could be a sensor problem and you should take it to you dealer to have it looked at. Also the AWD is recomended to be used in Low gear only.

Old 08-06-2000, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Whys that???

Old 08-06-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

because if its used in High theres a lota sprain on the belt...also EXplorer300 you probably have the push button switch to engage teh AWD and the contacts arent always good

Old 08-06-2000, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

So it could be an electrical connection problem

Old 08-06-2000, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

There is no probablem at all. In high the tranny will put more power to the rear than the front. And only being a 300 Almost all of the power is going to the rear wheels. But when you use low the tranny sends equal power to all of the wheels.

Old 08-06-2000, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah but sometimes it won't even work in low

Old 08-06-2000, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

Trust me POLARIS MAN I did that on my old 96 Sp400. I used High gear in AWD and it strained my belt and ate up the teeth on the clutch. The AWD system is really only meant to be used in LOW gear. But if you want to use High gear in AWD be my guest. Its kinda like climbing a very steep hill in high gear starting from a dead stop or pulling a heavy load in high gear, its common sense to use low in those conditions.

Old 08-07-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Polarisman,

The tranny does not change the ratio of front wheel to rear wheel power depending on hi/lo position. The tranny is essentially a hi/lo transfer case, nothing more. The power ratio between front and rear wheels is always the same.

The AWD system works well in high or low range, as long as the driver uses his brain and selects the appropriate range for what he is doing. ANY low speed operation or towing, in AWD or not, should be done in low. The Sportsman will pull like crazy in low range. In high range AWD is useful when traversing soft sand with some speed on.

I understand where Sportsman6x6 is coming from but, there are uses for AWD in high range that won't hurt the belt. I do concede that 98% of the time AWD really comes into play in low.

Explorer300, there are absolutely no sensors in the AWD system. This is a myth that keeps getting perpetuated.

When you press the AWD switch it simply supplies power to the 2 coils located on the front hubs. The locking of the hubs is purely mechanical. If the coils are energized, and the rear wheels overspeed the front wheels, the mechanical hubs will lock.

The pushbutton switch on our older machines was suseptible to water and corrosion damage. This is why the new machines have a slide switch. This is one thing to check. At the terminal board look for the harness coming from the AWD switch. With the AWD switch out (not pressed), there should be continuity between the grey/white, and the grey wires. With the switch on (pressed), there should be continuity between the grey/white wire and the AWD light, and the brown wire. I do not believe this is your problem, from what you describe.

The AWD switch provides power to the two AWD coils at the front hubs. The switch also provides power to the AWD light near the AWD switch. If the switch is suspected as being flaky, look to see if the AWD light is on when you have the switch on.

The Override switch helps complete the power circuit to the coils in reverse. If there is no AWD is reverse, this switch could be suspect.

There is a microswitch on the shifter itself that ensures that power to the AWD system is not provided in reverse, unless the override button is pressed. From what you describe I would first suspect that your problem is related to this microswitch. This may be defective or simply not being pressed properly by the shifter. At the terminal board, find the harness that comes from the shifter. It will have a red, grey/white, green/white, and purple wire. With the key on (engine not running is OK) shift the machine to forward hi, then forward low. There should be power on the Grey/white wire (only) in both of these situations. In neutral there should be power on the green/white wire (only). In reverse there should be power on the purple wire (only). If these tests fail in any way, then the switch at the shifter is faulty OR the shifter mechanical requires adjustment. Since you say it works in certain positions I would suspect the mechanical parts are simply not pressing the switch correctly.

Not sure about the Explorer but the 96-98 Sportsman also has a speed limiter (small module)that prevents the AWD from being engaged if engine rpm is >4000. This is a safety feature to protect the mechanical hubs. If they engage at high rpm, they may self destruct. This is not likely your problem.

Nuff said ...

Good luck,

DJ

Old 08-07-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

PolarisMan,

The bike puts the same power to all wheels. I don't know what you've been smoking, but we like facts around here. If you would like to explain to me how it puts different power ratios to different parts of the bike, then enlighten me. Otherwise, don't talk what you don't know.

explorer300,

Sounds to me like the push-button switch is the problem. One reason it may seem to work in low or reverse is that you're stopping the bike to change ranges. So, you may want to stop before you put it into 4wd.

Quick Reply: AWD problems