Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front sprocket on a 99' Trail Blazer. Please help out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 02:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was driving my Trail Blazer today, I herd this clunk, like gears grinding. I stop as fast as I could to see what was a matter. So, I knew my chain was loose so I looked at it first and seen that it was as loose as could be. I was in for a suprise. I looked real close at my front sprocket an seen that THE TEETH WERE ALL GONE!! Went to my best friends house (01Blaster in these forums) to see if he could help me out and he came and got me (thanks Jason, My buddy). Well, we took it back to my house and then when his dad and him left I took off my sprocket. When I got it off I looked over it and the teeth looked like they were ripped off. My gearing now is front 11 and rear 38(stock). I am goin to go to the Polaris shop tomorrow to see if i can get another one. My Question is that I am goin to try to get a 13 tooth front sprocket for it, so how much bottom end will I loose and how much top-end will I gain??? I still want to be able to ride my wheelys and atleast try to keep up with Jason's "stock" blaster. I should start another Forum for this, but with his stock 2001 blaster he can beat me by about 5 or 6 quad lengths on top-end. I have a Trailblazer with RCR top-end midrange pipe with the stage 1 kit and holeshots and he still can beat me..... We are both hitting are Top speeds too. But can some one please help me out about the sprockets for my front. Thanks dudes, Kenny H.

Old 08-11-2000, 03:29 AM
Range Rover

Anyone????.....Anyone at all????...4 people have veiwed this and no one knows?????....Thanks, Kenny

Old 08-11-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

99RCRtrailblazer,

I think that going up two teeth on the front might be a little extreme. If all you have on is the pipe, you will be seriously lacking in the bottom end department. I went down 4 teeth in the back on my Trailblazer and it felt like it was stock (RCR topend pipe added). It wasn't until I added the old 34mm carb off my Sport that things picked up considerably. If you could, try going to a 12 tooth sprocket in the front. If that still isn't fast enough, go to a 36 tooth rear. Mind you, just about any sprocket changes will need a new chain, but you probably need one anyway after tearing up the sprocket.

Old 08-11-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Give me the number of teeth on the stock rear, along with stock speed with stock sprockets, and I can run calculations to see what your new top speed should be, provided your engine can hit the same rpm with more teeth on the front sprocket. As far as bottom-end torque, you may want to stick to what Mike suggests.

Old 08-11-2000, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

I think my top speed is around 50 mph with my stock gearing and RCR stage 1 kit. My rear tooth is 38. I already have tons of bottom end and im always riding awsome wheelys for about 70 feet( me and Jason, 01blaster, just went out side and measured). I have the top-end mid-range pipe and the kit for it. It seems that i like got a low-end pipe cause I can't really see any top end gains so don't think that my bottom end will be a problem. My chain doesn't look that bad and i don't have the money for a new chain. If i change my front sprocket to a 13, then I'll be running the gearing of a 1990 Trail Boss and a 88-93 Trail Boss. So if they have it like that then i guess it couldn't be that bad. I always thought it was weird how my friend with a 89 or 90 model Trail boss always beat me, even after i got my stage 1 kit. Well, anybody knows anything else that could help me out. Later dudes and thanks alot, Kenny H.

Old 08-11-2000, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

All Right,
I did some calculations based on a top speed of 50mph with 11F and 38R, and here is what I came up with:
38R,12F = 55mph
38R,13F = 59mph

11F,37R = 51.5mph
11F,36R = 53mph

12F,37R = 56.5mph
12F,36R = 58mph

These figures are based on the assumption that the engine will be able to wind out the same as it does now, without any power loss. If there are any other combinations you would like to know, just let me have them. Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2000, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

How about a 13 front and a 34 rear?? That is what the 91' trail blazer. Thanks a ton, Kenny

Old 08-11-2000, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

The same thing happened to me about a month ago, was riding in my yard and the chain popped off so I just was goign to put it back on and the front sprocket had only 1 tooth on it! couldnt believe it, it also looked liked they got ripped off.

Cobra
2000 Trailblazer - HPD Nickel Plated Pipe, HPD Clutch Kit, K&N Airfilter

Old 08-11-2000, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

99RCRTrailblazer,
I know you said you did not have the money right now. But I would find some and replace the chain anyway. 99.9% of the time that you have sprocket problems, it also will ruin the chain. If you do not replace it, you will wear out the new sprockets soon, and end up buying new ones again. Just a thought for you.

Old 08-11-2000, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

My Chain is only about 6 months old, but my sprockets are as old as the 4-wheeler. About 6 months ago I broke my original chain. Then I took it to the Polaris shop and they put a new one on it with out changing my sprockets. My chain don't look bad at all, but who knows. later dudes, Kenny

Quick Reply: Front sprocket on a 99' Trail Blazer. Please help out.