Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Originally posted by: Carmelo15
there i found a predator dyno chart. http://www.boondockers.com/Snowmobiles_files/predator.html
thats a joke... it has more like 37ish, **** a z400 has 32!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
there i found a predator dyno chart. http://www.boondockers.com/Snowmobiles_files/predator.html
thats a joke... it has more like 37ish, **** a z400 has 32!!!
C'mon, you're bursting their bubble again.. Next thing you know, they'll be calling you an instigator.. I always thought it was 48 stock. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was just at the Polaris 50th party in St. Paul Mn this past weekend. I went to this specifically to check out the new 2005 Predator as I am looking for a new quad and I will not buy one that does not have reverse again. I have nver owned a Polaris but all of my friends do even though they all ride tractors (what I call utility quads..ie Sportsman 700) and they are trying to convert me to a Polaris owner. I am NOT brand loyal and what I want is a good ATV that meets my riding habits. I like to trail ride in the northern wisconsin forests, like to play in the dunes at Silver Lake in Michigan and I spend 10 days each Christmas at Dumont Dunes in California...yes I haul my ATV's 2200 miles each way to ride these awsome dunes. My first quad was the Honda 400ex...loved (still do) that quad, great fun to ride and a really predictable quad, flies grate, fun in the sand and on the trails. Given that I am 50 yers old (NOT that I act 50, more like a 3 yr old sometimes) I got tired of having to get off the quad and pick up the front end to turn around on a forest trail (note, I do not ride off the trail for any reason) and I could never beat my 14yr old niece on a drag race up a 350ft dune (she also had a 400ex, but weighs a good 100lbs less than me)... so I went out looking for a new quad. My Brother has 3 400ex's 2 Banchee's and one Raptor with Trinity pipe and other mods. He tried to talk me into getting a Raptor, but when I rode his (stock at the time) it felt tippy to me and given the power I though it might not be a good trail machine, although it kicks *** in the sand, very easy to ride in the sand. I finally decided on the LTZ400 as it was supposed to be faster than the 400ex and really fun to ride. I love my LTZ400, but it is not that much faster than my 400ex, mind you my 400ex has a t4 pipe, jetted, airbox mods, dial a jet and Rev box, and my LTZ has a yoshi pipe, jetted, airbox mods and dial a jet..no rev box. And the pisser is my niece still beats me up the 350ft dune, but then again 100lbs weight difference helps her. The LTZ revs very quickly and I am always hitting the rev limiter off the line and have to shift very quickly, so i think a rev box would help. SO... I am now looking at the new 05 Predator or a used 03-04 Raptor. I test drove the 05 Pred, both the std version and the new troy lee version, both have reverse, and the troy lee version has a close ration transmission that on the track would be killer, but not too sure how it would be on the trails and in the dunes, I suspect that I would have to be doing a lot of shifting. The rev limiter on the 05 ar set at 9k, and with the Pure Pipe (White Bros e series) the specs said the new Pred has 50hp. Normally the people at the 50th party could only demo the pred for one lap, but I talked to some design engineers and they let me come back at 6:00pm and let me take both versions out for mutiple hot laps.. would not let me really fly, but let me kick it in the butt to a degree. On the demo track, more like a MX track with afew more sharp close spaced bumps I perfeered the Troy Lee version but I think that was due to the difference in tires and shocks, the Troy lee has Maxis Radial tires vers the bias ply Maxis tires on the std version. This Pred rocks, very quick revs, very nimble and the front end will come up much faster than my LTZ, again may be the close ration transmission but the track was too small and tight to allow me to ever get into anything higher than 3rd and that was only for a instant, mostly it was all 2nd gear. I have still not made a hard decision between the raptor or the Pred, but I am leaning towards the predator right now... I will wait to see some of the feedback on the 05 Pred when the magazines get a hold of it, and some real riders have a chance to check it out. If I ONLY rode the trails, I woild buy the Predator right now, but I have seen a lot of info that the Predator does not do well in the sand, any one out ther have any experiance with Dune riding on a Predator??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambler123
why is the predator underated?? There are 2 other quads in its class both of which are of less displacement that are faster, handle better, lighter, and look better. Of course the yfz450 and 450r are going to get the most praise and they deserve it.
You sure must want a Predator..... seeing that your always down playing it as if it were a piece of crap.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pimp250r
ATV magazines are only good for cool pictures and stupid unrealistic articles that we can roll our eyes at.
The predator is a top contender. I've seen them take out YFZ at the track, so that deserves attention. I think of
Polaris released more than just 1 sport quad and got into the sport/race market like Honda and Yamaha things would quickly
change.

Would that make sense? This is just my guess.

Time will tell.
Completely agree w/ you

Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman
Originally posted by: modquad
BBS, don't let little bear get to you. His sig lists Utah, then he says he lives in Arizona. Too confused to know where home is.....ya think he could figure out ATV's? Hmmm, don't think so.

Those who think before they post, earn and hold respect. Those who fly off the handle trying to light fires.....they eventually fade away, just like their hot air.
Modquad,

I live in AZ, but have a home in Utah.... where i like to do most of my riding.
Where in AZ do u live?

Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

jsyi what makes you think I would want a predator I would get one of the 450's long before i got a predator.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WIThumper
but I have seen a lot of info that the Predator does not do well in the sand, any one out ther have any experiance with Dune riding on a Predator??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Thats all I do w/ mine. For me the Predator is the first pick of the litter for a dune quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman
I think this sum's it up nicley.

Hey retards actually those numbers seem a little on the fugged up side to me....considering my old dyno sheets from Edelbrock say 41.3 hp w/ 30.1 ft/lb of torque. And Im talking at the wheels jackass.....w/ both your moms and I riding on it

Old 07-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

every dyno will read different and the same dyno will read differently if the conditions are not identical the only way to get a good comparison is to dyno multiple bikes on the same dyno on the same day with the same tires.

Quick Reply: Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...