Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman

Face it sleeper and hozed, you own a overweight, underpowered, inferior designed quad. Your two options are.... be roosted on or trade up!
This coming from a Raptor owner?? LOL Lets see. "Underpowered" the Raptor is a 660cc 5 valve SOHC engine. The Predator is a 499cc 4 valve DOHC engine. And it is a FACT that the Predator and Raptor are about even in a drag race. People that have actually raced FAIRLY and have a clue what they are talking about will agree that it comes down to the rider. So what is it that you 660 which has 161cc more displacement and 1 more valve cant put a whoopin on this "underpowered" quad? Now, "inferior designed". EVERYONE knows about the 01 Raptor tranny problem and how Yamaha handled it (or didn't handle it). Yes, soem of the 03 Preds had tranny trouble (no to the tune of $1000+ to fix) but at least Polaris can stand behind their product. Also, the Predator is a DOHC, as are most of the other sport quads (DS650, YFZ, Pred, Z400 and its clones). So why is Yamaha still in the old era of SOHC's? Not only that, but for the powerplant that the Raptor has, it has a very inferior frame and suspension. It is to short and too narrow. Do you consider "inferior" to be Fox shocks, PRO steering, anti squat suspension, Douglas wheels with Razor tires, extra wide stance, stainless steel brake lines, and super tough rear axel as STANDARD features?

PS. I had to go there to level the playing field.
And here we go again raptor bashing.. But if I were to say anything positive about the raptor, all hell breaks loose. If you guys want to keep talking about the displacement difference, why not mention the MAJOR compression difference. You do know the difference between 9 to 1 and 11 to 1, right? Judging by your harley, I'd say you do.. I NEVER bent or broke anything on my raptor when it was stock. The only time I've had issues is flipping backwards at the top of a hillclimb. And that resulted in mangled plastic, handlebars, and controls. At that point, I'd already changed the a arms, shocks and axle, so I really don't know if the stock ones would have survived. The Honda 450r is a sohc too. The 5 valve head happens to be a good design, so why mess with it. Big difference I see, you have to buy 2 cams, when I only had to buy one. What's wrong with the raptor frame btw? I don't recall ever seeing a pic of a broken one. And last but not least, I only know of 2 races between forum members with raptors and predators. You guys do know that both times, the raptor owners won?

Old 07-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: modquad
BBS, don't let little bear get to you. His sig lists Utah, then he says he lives in Arizona. Too confused to know where home is.....ya think he could figure out ATV's? Hmmm, don't think so.

Those who think before they post, earn and hold respect. Those who fly off the handle trying to light fires.....they eventually fade away, just like their hot air.
Ummm.... Let's see. Yamaha bashing and no one can respond? And it happens just as often in the yamaha forum from predator owners.. I think you should take a look and see who's the pyro.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NJRaptor419
BBS, don't let little bear get to you. His sig lists Utah, then he says he lives in Arizona. Too confused to know where home is.....ya think he could figure out ATV's? Hmmm, don't think so.

Those who think before they post, earn and hold respect. Those who fly off the handle trying to light fires.....they eventually fade away, just like their hot air.
Ummm.... Let's see. Yamaha bashing and no one can respond? And it happens just as often in the yamaha forum from predator owners.. I think you should take a look and see who's the pyro.

Calm down...no need to cry.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

there i found a predator dyno chart. http://www.boondockers.com/Snowmobil.../predator.html

Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

I think this sum's it up nicley.

javascript:winopen('/include/Gallery/ViewFullsize.cfm/ID/10/K/42417.cfm','viewimg',850,763);

Old 07-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

why are u talking about a predator... a trailblazer is underrated.. the trailblazer 250 is WAY better... its fater. lighter ( i thin k ) better acel top speed. itwould kill ne other atv on the market in mx or a dragstrip- they are underated

Old 07-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: trailblazerpimp
why are u talking about a predator... a trailblazer is underrated.. the trailblazer 250 is WAY better... its fater. lighter ( i thin k ) better acel top speed. itwould kill ne other atv on the market in mx or a dragstrip- they are underated
obviously some yamaha kid just tryin to act kool... BBS get rid of him!!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
Originally posted by: trailblazerpimp
obviously some yamaha kid just tryin to act kool... BBS get rid of him!!
I second that....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I must admit the Predator does not get much attention. I would say the reason for this is that most magazines are not used to the "new" ness of it. Its like the Cannondales and Artic Cats. Why bother covering Artic cat's DVX if it is the same quad as a Z400? It was said best in the earlier post, which ever company pays them better is going to get a better review and more test rides! I have to give Polaris credit! They actually fixed what was wrong with 03' models!?! Well there is a surprise? They want to be competitive and they are trying very hard to enter the sport ATV market. I am pretty sure they will be very dominant in the near future, because of this attention to detail and the people actually riding it! Now for the others, I have noticed Gas Gas getting into the magz more and more... who knows what we will see. THey are all biased magz. Lets see some stock comparisons of all of these.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: head027
Originally posted by: NJRaptor419

Calm down...no need to cry.

Typical.. Dude, you're a tool. You gonna come back over to the yamaha forums and act like a martyr because we don't agree with you next?

Quick Reply: Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...