Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

who's got a waterproofing list for a SP600 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's got a waterproofing list for a SP600 ?

Wondering if any of you have been thru the waterproofing process of all the little things that can be done to a sp600? I've had a problem once in a while while mudding with the belt slipping, leaving me stranded in the hole. I know the belt housing intake (or is it an exhaust?) seems kind of low, although I've already read of people saying the problem really is the black plastic ties that connect the boot to the housing. I'm already planning to replace these with a stainless hose clamp. Also hearing to make sure all vent lines are up high. Seems alot of this should have been done by polaris, they really already know what these machines will eventually be used for, once in awhile. I know the engine air box intake is up about as high as you can get it, without actually snorkeling it, which obviously the manufacturer is not going to do as stock. It seems however that the belt housing intake could definitely be higher, but would probably require some re-designing. I'm looking for any help you guys (and girls) can offer from experience. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

You have black plastic ties on the boot connecting the housing and the snorkel? They are supposed to be metal hose clamps. I'v had my SP600 in plenty of water and mud, water up over the housing, and I've never had a problem. Get some metal hose clamps and put on the rubber connector and see how that works out.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I've run mine thru mud holes that were up to the top of the seat, I've never had any problems. I'll give you a couple of things to check though.
Make sure the two halves of the drive belt cover are seated properly and the screws are tight.
Put a small plastic fuel filter on the end of the carb vent tube and tuck it back under the tank.
I would replace those plasttic wire ties you mentioned with hose clamps as was mentioned previously.
I would look at a clutch kit like the heelclicker that grabs the belt tighter, it really makes a diffrence even if you do get water in the clutch housing.
If your going thru alot of deep water like I do, you have to change your fluids often.
A note on riding style, hit the throttle hard when it starts to get deep (usually low range), stand up and lean back - you want to keep the front end up. In deep water if you go in hard the pressure will keep the front up and the machine will sort of hop along the bottom, this raises your vulnerable points higher and will allow you to go thru deeper water than you would normally be able to traverse.
With all this rain we've had this year it's been a blast....