Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

oops..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops..

the most important thing to do with a new engine, before your first ride, is let the engine warm up properly....nothing wrong with goin fast on the first ride, just dont be fullthrottle too much...a little here and there, mixed with mid RPM, and acc. under a load will allow the piston rings to seat well with the cylinder walls, if broken in hard the piston rings will seat properly, allowing a very good piston ring to cylinder wall seal, which is what you want.

here is a little break-in article....

http://mototuneusa.com/the_need_for_speed.htm

and here is a picture of some pistons when they were taken out of an engine, broken in hard
http://mototuneusa.com/the_impossibl...n_museum_1.htm
(look at the piston skirt and sides of the pistons...clean)

more articles are here(there are 5 parts to the break-in article series)
http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default oops..

Ya, just get the fluids changed and you should be fine....my buddy got a brand new v-force last year and rode it like hell the second he got on...well he hasn't had a single problem yet and its been over a year...just change the fluids and you should be fine.

quadracer

Old 07-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default oops..

You didn't hurt a thing. As long as your not just completely ******* it your fine. As others have said. Running it hard intermitently with mostly low to mid rpms is benifitial. Not detrimental. Your fine......

Old 07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default oops..

Cars, motorcycles and quads. I've always broke them in like I plan on driving them.....HARD. I haven't had any trouble. If it will make you feel better change the oil and filter. I really don't think you hurt anything. I would get the steering checked by your dealer. Break in has nothing to do with the steering problem. Don't stress yourself anymore about this and don't pay attention to the b.s. it will be fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default oops..

It's been dyno proven. An engine that's not allowed to idle a long time when brand new and gets broken in hard typically yields better compression and more horsepower. Baby it and it will be a turd. Break it in hard and it'll be a performer.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Range Rover
Default oops..

Like Poo said your fine you can change you oil but your ok a 2 stroke is alittle more sensetive if it has chrome or nickasill cylinders enjoy it

Old 07-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default oops..

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dealer told me that you should break it in like you are going to drive it. I have 1600 trouble free miles on my 2004 Sportsman 400.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops..

Originally posted by: PooNanny
It's been dyno proven. An engine that's not allowed to idle a long time when brand new and gets broken in hard typically yields better compression and more horsepower. Baby it and it will be a turd. Break it in hard and it'll be a performer.
I agree with this. More than one qualified mechanic has told me that breaking should be planned around the way you ride, hard is good not bad. Like most recommendation from the dealer they should be second guessed. You'll be fine.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops..

Most manufacture's will recomend putting the hammer down occasionally during break in, it help's seat the rings. your fine....

Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default oops..