Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New SP 05 Racks - what do you think of them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SP 05 Racks - what do you think of them?

I was at the 50th to get a first hand look of the new 05 SP's. I use mine for hunting and ice fishing here in MN and I have a lot of OEM equipment that I put on my ATV. The problem I now see with the new rack style is nothing will fit. My Kolpin gun boot will no longer mount to the new rack, my rear soft sided bag will no longer have a place to be secured to the rack. I also have a steel rack that attaches to the rear rack and that will no longer fit.
I don't need to purchase just Polaris accessories because lets face it you pay for the Polaris name. If I can save 40 - 50 bucks on a new gun boot just because it doesn't say Polaris I will. With this new rack style Polaris is going to try and make you purchase just Polaris accessories.
Did anyone notice they did away with the hand holds on the racks. You are no longer able to pull on the racks, you can't even get you fingers under them to help lift because the new fenders are flush to the racks.
The front storage box on all the new SP's tells you it will hold seven gallons - of what - water! That storage compartment is good for maybe some tools and gloves but not much more. They did away with any kind of front extension rack for the front and you again have no place to mount anything except Polaris accessories.
I have owned Polaris snowmobiles and ATV's for many years and for some this maybe no big deal but I don't like being made to purchase from just one maker.
I held off on purchaseing an 04 EFI untill I saw the new 05's but now I am and if they don't change ( and I don't think they will ) it could be my last Polaris ATV. Lets see once the 05's are out how many people see what I am talking about. It's just my opinion but I think Polaris made a mistake on the new rack design.
I know OEM's will come out with some accessories but I can see the path that Polaris is trying to go down. It's the same as the MRP on the Cat's. They are going to try and force you to purchase just from them and they can put a much larger price tag on it. Polaris must want a bigger slice of the accessories business and now they are going to try and make you and me pay for it.
I tried to talk with some of the accessories people at the 50th bash and they couldn't or wouldn't say anything about the new style.
Sorry for the long post but I had to get it off my chest.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

I agree with you somewhat. Gone are the extenders on the racks. What are they thinking? The extenders set off the racks!! I don't much care for the trunk on the front rack. I didn't like it on the mag or whichever it was on. You are right they are almost worthless as far as carrying much. I like the way the 04 looks but I do like the brighter headlights and rear work lights. We will see what people have to say later. When are the 05's due to hit out? I was going to buy a 05 if it came out with efi. I'll wait till they do to buy another one. Polaris I want SP 500 ho with efi. Please!!!!!! Dobie

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Things change over time, they couldnt keep the old style forever. The redesign was well overdue, although I am partail to my 02 700 bumper and plastic! Aftermarket companies will have everything (and more) you need soon. I thought they should have offered the ATP front box/rack sooner, its built in , no need to buy one. The rack extenders were nice though, should be standard on all. It does suck that past equipment is not interchangable with the new machines.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I also like the new headlights and rear back-up lights on the 05's. The front storage box was enough to keep me away from the 05's and place an order for an 04.5 700 EFI with the hunter package. With the discount on the 04's right now I got it for $7,500.00 plus tax and License. The best part is my Plow, gunboot, GPS mount, windshield, rear accessories bag and rear accessories rack will all fit on the 04.5.
Now if I can be lucky enough to get a well made one and not have any problems I will be happy for a year or two.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Snickers
... They did away with any kind of front extension rack for the front and you again have no place to mount anything except Polaris accessories...
Not true! The new system does have an optional extension available for the front rack.
New 2005 Polaris ATV Brochure

It attaches to the lid of the new front storage box.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]