Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 4X4 lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 4X4 lift

Has anyone put a lift on the front of their 04.5 Sportsman? Does anyone have one of the kits? I would like to know how tall the spacer is that goes under the front spring?? More then a 1 1/4'??
I want to lift my wifes Sportsman 400 to level it out before installing any wheels and tires. I don't know why Polaris made the front sit so low, I know you don't want to lift it too much because of the angle on the CV Joint, but a little more would be nice.

Thanks Guys

Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have a lift on my 500ho 67bullet. But like you I would like to get it up just a little. I have read where guys are buying the front springs for the 600/700 Sportsmans and installing them on 400/500 Sportsmans. They have said it will raise the front 1.25 to 1.5 inches. The higher rate springs also stiffens the front end up a little bit. One of these days I'm going to do this to my 500. Just a thought.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

I made some spacers that go under the spings and under the shock to space them up some like the High lifter kit is. But, I'm not sure how tall their spacers are. Mine i made are 1 1/4 tall, just trying to make sure they aren't too much.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

Hey there...

I have a 2" spacer lift (net 1.5" actual) on my SP700 carb. I did this to install a set of ITP wheels and 27" 589's. I feel the increased CV angle is not severe and have had no problems to date with the axles. These aluminum spacers fit on top of the strut housing to preload the front springs. With these, I shot three birds with one stone. I made the clearance for the 27" tires, stiffened up a extremely soft front suspension AND leveld the bike out. I picked up my spacers from Bert's Dirt Works. Great folks to deal with. Great pricing and fast shipping.

If you check out my pictures, you'll see the spacer installed right below the black spring.....

Old 08-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

I have 1 inch under the strut and 2 inch under the spring to stiffin the front up a bit.. I DID blow a front CV because of the angle that the 1 inch spacer created. I was deep in the mud when it happend so there was a lot of torque on it. If you run trails and roads mostly then you won't have a prob.. but if you like to play in the mud expect to buy CV's or do like I did and upgraded my front axles and now I have no worry.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

I put a 1 1/4" spacer under the spring and the shock. Waiting on tires and wheels to come in (26"). Hopefully this won't hurt the front CV joints.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Dan..I saw the pic of your Sportsman, thats good looking. I'm installing a lift on the front of my 500 (03) to level it out a bit for some new rims I ordered..on another subject, where did you get the front end setup with the winch and all? I just ordered a Warn winch with a mounting plate but I dont have the front bumper on it that you have. Thanks, Harry

Old 08-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Here's a link to some picks of my lift.. if you do a little searching in the Polaris forum you will find instructiosn for other mods I did as well..

My Pics

Old 08-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hdnvn
Dan..I saw the pic of your Sportsman, thats good looking. I'm installing a lift on the front of my 500 (03) to level it out a bit for some new rims I ordered..on another subject, where did you get the front end setup with the winch and all? I just ordered a Warn winch with a mounting plate but I dont have the front bumper on it that you have. Thanks, Harry
Hi Harry...

Thanks for the kind words about my quad!! The front end set-up is all Pure Polaris parts available from your dealer. I'm not sure if the winch is mounted to the brush guard or not. My quad is in for service right now. I'll be picking it up sometime today and I'll check on that for you.

About your front lift, did you fabricate it or go with a "store bought" unit?

Old 08-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man...my lift kit os from Hi lifter, store bought unit. I just got done attempting to install it yet the spring compressor i had was lame. I'm not sure what to do next, am thinking about getting a shop to do it for me although i hate the idea of paying someone else to do it for me. I'm assuming that once you get the springs compressed it's smooth sailing. Do you think it's worth investing in a Macpherson spring compressor? or should i let someone else do it for money? Harry

Quick Reply: Sportsman 4X4 lift