Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 4X4 lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 4X4 lift

I did mine without a spring compressor. Removed all the plastic (front fenders, rack), removed the nut on top of the shock. Placed a jack under the front of the bike and jacked it up until the front tires were just touching the floor (don't jack too high up, you don't want to pull the axel out of the CV Joint). Loosen the shock bolts on the side towards the bottom of the shock housing, grab the spring and compress it enough to slide it out of the way of the frame. then you can remove the shock and spring as one unit.
Reinstall in reverse order, I made the spacers (I have a lathe) and installed the them in about 2 hours.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, let me get this straight. You did it WITHOUT a compresser?? I'm under the impression that the spring is loaded and won't cooperate at all. You were able to compress the spring with your hands to get it out of the shock tower and then get it back in ..with your hands? When I loosen that shock bolt on the top the spring wont take off? Did you do this on a Polaris Sportsman? I just put it all back together with little hope of being able to do it myself. let me know about this, thanks. All literature state spring compressor is a must!!

Old 08-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

You can take the very top nut off adn the spring won't go anywhere.. once you get it out of the top mount you will see that there is another nut that is holding the spring on. If you are not increasing the spring load by installing a larger spring spacer then your strut spacer then you should be able to do it with out a spring compressor.. I was able to push mine down by hand and tighten the nut .. As for taking it off I just used an impact and there was not much preasure on it (nothing like a car).
If you want I have seen a few guys use plastic tie straps and tie strap the crap out of the spring before they take it off .. then just cut them when you put it back on.
I personally bought a cheap spring compressor at the store and used it because I was going for a 2" spring spacer with a 1" strut spacer so there was quite a bit more load on it.

Hope this helps..

Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Okay then..it's back to the garage without a compressor. Touch and Go for me here but it sounds as if it should be cut and dry. I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks for all the tips. While Ive got you reading this, let me ask you another question. when I punch my 500 I get a bog initially and then ower. Any suggestions on a fix? air filter, something else that maybe I'm not aware of? The quad only has 131 miles on it and seems pretty clean, some dirt under all the plastic, etc...Harry

Old 08-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

I would try a K&N Filter.. it makes a HUGE diffrence on the 500 HO's.. If that doesn;t improve things and you still have a bog it might be your clutches, I would bring it back to your dealer for warrenty.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

Yes, I did it on a 04.5 sportsman without a spring compressor. If you compress the spring enough it get a screw driver between the top os the shock and the frame you can pry it out.