Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cv boot again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv boot again...

Originally posted by: Whitewater
I just changed a CV boot, too...it was really fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The problem that I have seen, is that if the boot is installed "kinda stretched out / elongagated" (hard to explain on a PC), it puts a lot of stress on the boot as it rotates. Did that make any sense?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv boot again...

huh?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cv boot again...

Hey Tyler, This is Uncle bill...
I just signed up and evedently I pushed the wrong keys !

I was wanting to ask Whitewater about the cv boot changs... how hard it was and should I just takr it to the shop.....

Pardon the errors in the message thread stuff....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Any info about the cv change from anyone would be helpful.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv boot again...

The back was easy, as long as you have a decent idea of what your looking for (finding the spring clip in the grease might be hard if you dont know what your looking for.) Service manual should be enough for that. As for the front, i am working on that with one of my 250's, which have the hubs in the wheels in the front (unlike my 04.5 sportsman.) I opened the hub and took out the bearings and stuff (not sure if i had to) but havent had time to try to reassemble yet. But after watchign my neighbor do the back once, i can do it in 20 minutes. I used cv boot pliers from my polaris dealer, i'm sure yuo could do it without them, but never tried. They make it real easy to do those clips though. good luck

Old 09-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cv boot again...

20 minutes ! Yikes that's great. No wonder you don't work for them.... they couldn't make money on the 3 hrs of labor I've been quoted !!

I guess it would be a good idea for me to post my quad info.; 2002 Polaris 500 Sportsman.
The boot I'm replacing is the back left inside.

Do I have to take off the wheel, arm, axel, shock and dig for the clip ?
There is the band around the boot ....and the " clip "? Is that the axel retaining clip ? I don't have a service manual, and won't get one as I'm going to sell this quad as soon as she's fixed.
Just moved to WA from AZ and nowhere to ride everyday. Lot's more water to play on......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I appreciate your input and time.

Bill

Old 09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv boot again...

UncleBill,
I sent you a PM yesterday.

Side note: I changed out a CV boot last night / this morning...and that snap ring is a pain in the a$$. If it wasn't for that, I think I would have had the whole thing done in less than an hour.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv boot again...

Forgot to mention- i did an outside, not an inside. My neighbor said that if u pull, the whole back axle will come out of the differential case, and that would make changing the outside easier, too. I didnt try this, as i am not sure it works like that. Maybe someone who knows could help here?
Its been a busy two weeks since school started, so my poor 250 is still on blocks in the barn... i might have time on saturday to look at it...
other than that snap ring, its really easy, just make sure you get the right boot (front/back) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] the front doesnt go nicely onto the back, but it does go on... lol

Old 09-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cv boot again...

More CV joint repairs crap !

Hey Tyler I sent you a PM Thursday AM.

Side Note; got the cv boots from Apes Axel... good people to do business with.

Now just to get the darn axel assy back into the differential .... the spring ring is a pain in the neck !