Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Journeyman machinist looking for work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Journeyman machinist looking for work.

Looks like good old Timken is going to shut us down sooner than expected. Most of the work will move to China. The company is telling the media that the work is being dispersed to other plants in the states but during an 8 month stint in the office I learn that most of the work will actually move to China. I hope someone finally comes to their senses and puts a stop to this crap. The really sucky part is the department I was loaned to in the office wants to offer me a salary job but plant management won't let me go because "they still have a plant to run". People are retiring like crazy and we are "highly undermanned". The position needs filled imediately and they are going to hire off the street now. So instead of getting an office job I'm forced to go down with the ship. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! It's sure is hard to hold your head up high when life keeps smacking you on top of the head. Sorry guys. I felt the need to vent. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Truly sorry to hear about your situation! This falls in line with the reasons I ride certain brands. Yes, I'm sure they all have some imported parts. And yes, many 'foreign' brand machines are built in America by Americans. But the bottom line to me is where I percieve the profits are going. The 'Land of the Rising Sun' failed in their attempt to beat us in a straight-up fight over half a century ago, but they've been working very quietly and efficiently ever since to CONQUER us economically and are succeeding in that goal. WAKE UP AMERICA [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, when ever I need bearings I would always tell the counter man U.S.A. made bearings only! and would receive
either fafnair or timken at our local bearing outlet store, I guess I am goining have to start waching the timkens
now too. When I pulled the wheel bearings off my atv/sled trailer to check them out guess what!, the bearings said
made in china. MADDENING!!!!!

Old 09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I know exactly what youre talking about. Ive been a machinist for 24 years, and have never felt so unsure about the future of america. The big boys are only looking at the quarterly bottom line, and if it can be made in china, much cheaper...its gone. Thats a more importany reason to vote for kerry, than bush. Kerry wants to protect american jobs, bush just wants a kickback on what is sent overseas, which will free up your blue collar to go to war.( sorry about the divergence). My management complains about high wages, but guess who has 5 houses, and who is barely owning one?
But things are looking up... last sunday's, minneapolis star tribune had 4 columns of machinist help wanted ads. If you have machinist skills, you shouldnt have to look too far to replace your job, there still are some businesses that want the work to stay here.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

I seen a 60 Minutes show on Chinese labor and companies moving there. It seemed that there was a labor dispute going on at the time between management and the local workers. They are housed and fed on site and can walk to their jobs. They are given a card to read off of when asked questions about their jobs and how much they like working there. Their dispute with management was coming close to a strike and only for an increase of 60 cents and hour to 65 cents an hour, if I remember correctly. I just left a job making $20 an hour because it got too hectic but it was doomed to reach China in a few years anyway. China is becoming an industrial giant and they can not only make it cheaper than America but they are making it as good. History repeats itself though. Even though China has vast resources like mineral and ore deposits, they still need a market for their product. Their productivity and quality is driving the American markets to make a better and cheaper product. China is going to burn itself out from an industrial standpoint. They litterally kill their workers by subjecting them to poor conditions and airborn hazards. I buy American products every chance I get and will continue to do so.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I try to buy American myself. What makes me mad is that it is American companys that is dumping billions of dollars into China.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
I know exactly what youre talking about. Ive been a machinist for 24 years, and have never felt so unsure about the future of america. The big boys are only looking at the quarterly bottom line, and if it can be made in china, much cheaper...its gone. Thats a more importany reason to vote for kerry, than bush. Kerry wants to protect american jobs, bush just wants a kickback on what is sent overseas, which will free up your blue collar to go to war.( sorry about the divergence). My management complains about high wages, but guess who has 5 houses, and who is barely owning one?But things are looking up... last sunday's, minneapolis star tribune had 4 columns of machinist help wanted ads. If you have machinist skills, you shouldnt have to look too far to replace your job, there still are some businesses that want the work to stay here.
Time to wake up and find out where all of the Heinz/Kerry products are made. It ain't in the US. He couldn't care anymore than Bush could.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Serious question ....

How is John Kerry going to keep jobs from leaving ?

If he penalizes (taxes) companies for doing it , thats another problem . Big companies are owned by stockholders , (you and me , in our retirement accounts ) . I don't really want to see my retirement account dwindle away . At the same token , I want Americans to have good jobs , so they have some money to by the stuff I pedal .

There are no easy simple answers , as far as I can see .

A man losing his job is a serious thing , I hate to here of such news , especially at the USA's premier bearing company . When restoring antigue machinery ( tractors , windmills , what have you ) you will find Timken bearings in many places . More often than not , when you can make out the letters on the outer race , even though the bearing cage has a little surface rust on it , with a little solvent and a brush , that bearing can be saved . It is a shame that we have to now second guess Timken quality .

Rick

Old 09-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your kind words fellas. Bush or Kerry I don't really think it's going to matter. I think it sucks that we live in a country with a population in the billions and we have to choose between two people for presidency. I think it's time to loose the whole party crap. Enough of that. I don't want to start an argument. No quicker way to start a fight than talk politics or religion.

Timken quality in the offshore plants is much less than it is here. Tolerances on tooling as well as product have been greatly relaxed for the overseas plants. We could make things much cheaper if would were held to the same standards. There have been a few companies that have told TRB that if the Canton bearing district closes that they will pull all their orders.

I've seen pictures of the Timken/NSK joint venture plant in Suzhou China during and after construction. Some of the workers actually did live on site. One picture showed part of the plant divided up with sheets for walls. Some locals were quite upset at the beginning of construction. Timken/NSK began excavating before the land was actually purchased. Then the Chinese government took the land from the farmers that owned it and sold it to the bearing companies. I'm told that the average wage in that area is $.30 an hour. TKR is paying $.50 an hour so they are a hero to the locals now.

I know my family and I will survive but what scares the hell out of me is........what's life going to be like for my kids when there my age. What kind of life are we leaving for our children?

Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not sure if its a middle age thing( which I wish I could go back to), or an American thing. But unfortunetly, alot of people,especially those with a heart, and have children, get to this point and ask the same question.
That a look at what it takes to own a home....what kind of jobs will your children need to have, to afford the life style theyve been accostomed to? It sure wont be a customer service type job, which is where we are all headed. It wont be long, and my kids will be selling your kids insurance, and your kids will be doing my kids accounting. Not that theres anything wrong with service jobs.... but lets face it, manufacturing jobs, is what once made america great.
Made in the USA used to mean something, now try to find something made here. Even the fords and chevys arent.
One good thing, which the adminastaion seems to understand, is the defense work still needs to be done by americans, in fact thats all I do anymore. I used to do about 50 50, defense vs comericial. Now its 100 % defense work, because all the comerial products are going overseas. Big business is only interested in this quarters results, and the bonus it brings the big boys. Their attitude, is "at least im gonna get mine, and when this place folds....Ill retire". Who ever becomes president will need to deal with this issue.
Sorry about bringing up the politics, but its a political problem, thats gonna need a political answer.

Quick Reply: Journeyman machinist looking for work.