Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

a gazzilion questions about my pred

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a gazzilion questions about my pred

I picked up my pred new within the first few batches of 03's. However, it's been ridden about 3x now, maybe 5 hours total, only now after its 2nd oil change. K&N filter is still spotless, haha, could still be thought of as new off the showroom floor.

I've seem to ride my bikes more than I do the quad, but I want to start riding the quad again this season some.

I have yet to install the paddle tires to the rims, and I still have not installed the front fox rezzies I have in the boxes.

Question 1: Where's the best/most cost effective place to send my shocks and rezzies to have them installed? And how much better does it perform with the rezzies?

Now, as for recalls, I already took it in for the front brake issue when I received the notice, so that is done.

Question 2: What is this I hear about the tranny update or something for the 03's? Is this a recall, or only something you have to pay for in order to receive? I purchased a three year warranty for the quad, is this included?

I have the WB Slip On with stock headers and all the baffle plates removed from the WB silencer at the end. It seems to work so-so (strong mid to top). Question 3: Is there a better alternative to this system, and if so, what is it? Looking for low and strong mid range pull, with a nice fit and finish. Or should I just leave mine alone and mess around with the plates some more?

It still has the stock gearing. What is this the very best gearing for 80% open Ocotillo desert use/and 20% dune use?

From what I can tell, the quad (pred) is "slow" to me and runs out of gear quick (maybe being only a 5 speed, where I'm used to 6). I am only comparing to my older duncan built 250R with stock bore, friends stock and modded banshee's and of course the dirt bikes I have currently which are wicked fast.. It feels like I need to go another 15-20 miles an hour to be satisfied. It just feels like it wants to scream up top, but doesn't feel like it's comfy at the high speeds because the engine is so high in the RPM's to sustain the higher speeds. How can I address this? Basically, I'm not used to revving the crap out of something to maintain a higher speed. I hope this makes sense, and I'm trying not to complain. Or, is this just the way it is and I need to adjust to it?

Also, I've noticed a serious issue with handling. The bike likes to wander quite a bit at mid to high level speeds. The front does not track right or something. It's quite awkward. The dealer had originally replaced the a-arms which were manufactured wrong on mine, and made sure the frame was straight and alignment was as good as possible in their minds, as it was, because this bike has hardly even been jumped more than 2 feet off the ground so far. Anyhow, does anyone else have any steering stability issues at these mid to high level speeds like I do? I scratch my head when I ride this thing, it's so bizarre. Does it have something to do with that trick steering system it has or something?? Maybe it's me not understanding that design, I don't know.

This will get me started.....

Thanks guys for all the help!

Ryan-

PS: So what quad is on top of the food chain these days?? Pred out, the blue and red in, or?? I'm so not in the quad scene right now.....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

the exhaust you want for your strong pull is definately HMF...very VERY nice fit and finish also. i'd suggest one tooth down in the back to not top out so fast in the open.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

an HMF pipe will give you more bottom and mid pull... alot of people like the WB because it is quiter...
the update for the tranny is something you need to buy yourself...
as far as it being slow... i dunno man... its quite fast up top... and no more than 2-3 MPH slower than any other quad... its just you!!! and the handling... i dunno either... i think they handle great... even at higher speeds... maybe something isnt right with yours...

as far as top quad nowa days...? well... lets just say i made an UPGRADE when i bought a new YFZ.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

thanks guys for the replies thus far.

Seems like the HMF has the vote right now...

Funny how you said the WB is quieter than the HMF. I removed the plates out of the rear of my WB and the thing is damn loud. I can't wait to hear what the HMF sounds like, haha.

Ok, so one tooth down on the rear. Will try.

Ok, maybe it is just me. I don't know.

I just want to get it right, and make it feel the way I think it should. Could take some time.

YZF was an upgrade huh. Well, at least I know who I will be compeating against when I hit Glamis soon.

If you guys know about the rezzies, feel free to chime in.

Also, do I need to buy the headers too, or is it not worth the extra dough for the amount of performance increase??

PS: Cheapest place to buy the HMF slip on?

Old 09-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

The YFZ DID NOT feel like much of an upgrade to me....if anything a downgrade... I prefer the ride quality and power of the Predator. But I guess it depends on what your doing with it..... then again there's also the selected few that just seem to always have something to say about the YFZ to top the Predator...

Old 09-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i dont know where you could get the rezzies installed, but from what i hear they do make a huge difference.
the stock head pipe on the pred flows quite nicely... i would just get the slip-on... but there are alot of people who dont like how the stocker rusts up easily... so the full system might be what you want. as far as the cheapest place... try parts unlimited or HMF directly...

jsyi... i am one of those people... and i do remember wayyyy back that you were saying that you thought you messed up when you bought a pred because you couldnt keep up with your buddies YFZ's... i think it was on pred owners...
there is no argument... the yfz is faster than the pred...

Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

Excellent info guys.

I'll try and pick up the HMF slip on, drop a tooth in the rear, and call Fox to see where they direct those rezzies to be installed. Wonder how much I can sell my WB on ebay for, in new cond, need to look around on there.

I wonder if with the small gearing change I will make, the pred will be as fast as the YFZ? Likely not, but at least worth a shot.

I'll keep the stock headers for now, until I see some rust. Hopefully I can continue to take good care of the quad and not rust those things up any. If so, I'll slap on some new headers.

What should my top end speed after I drop a tooth and throw on the HMF? Also, where will my RWHP be?

Appreciate the help so far guys...Ryan

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

dropping 1 tooth in the rear isnt going to do much at all... maybe give you 1 mph faster... a pred has the power to handle a 15t up front... and if your looking for a little bit more top speed thats what id do. you wont notice a change with a 1 tooth drop... the pipe may add some top speed... but mostly just more pull.
as far as the headers rusting... try jethot... its a ceramic coating that cost about 75$... keeps the heat down also... the headers will rust over time... i havent seen any pred headers that havent.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Nope. Dont remember saying that....but find the post if you dont mind....to refresh my memory...the real question is can YOU keep up with me

Old 09-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol, i aint keeping up wit **** right now... just took the head and cylinder off my 450 due to lack of compression... it all looks mint on the inside... i am pissed!!!!

and aint sure where i saw it posted... but i thot it was you.

Quick Reply: a gazzilion questions about my pred