Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 700 EFI Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 700 EFI Evaluation

Well, picked up the '05 700 EFI on Friday, went Elk hunting on Friday. I had one problem the whole weekend, which to me appears to be a design flaw. After having about 13 miles on the machine, I went to take it out the next day and when I flipped the key on, the starter engaged, but I did not have it in the start position, I just turned to the first position. Then I turned the key off, they starter kept going. So I hit the engine kill switch and it still kept running. Now tell me how a starter can engage with the key off and the engine switch off?

I'll notify the dealer tomorrow. Anyways, my guess is that the machine was tight, but still don't understand the logic to the starter. I'll order the Service Manual to see how they have this wired, if there is a relay, etc. So I went and rode it, know that the starter could be engaged and it could ruin it, what the hell, its under warranty and I'm in the middle of nowhere and need this thing to run. I road it around for a few hundred yards, came back and it still was doing it. Now you have to understand, I had to pull the battery power to get this to turn off. So I put the battery cable back on, turn the key and it was running because the starter was engaged, so it fired it up without turning it to the second notch. I went out and drove it again, about a mile. Shut it off, this time it was off. It now no longer happens and works good.

There is slight driveline noise at high speed, but barely noticable. The suspension or driveline makes noise when off throttle, downhill over rocks/bumps. That is alittle annoying to me.

One thing that gets me though...mileage. I took it off the area I was at to the lower land. I didn't realize how far it was....30 miles one way. I ended up roundtrip at 60 miles. The fuel gauge was down to 1/4. I filled the take when I got back, it only took alittle over two gallons. I did it again the next day (yesterday) and left it where it was so that I can take to the gas station and fill and see how much it takes. I'm assuming I got somewhere around 27 mph.

Otherwise, I took it easy, not going over 40 mph except towards the end. So kept the temperature down to get a good breakin. I don't think I reached the 10 hour mark yet, so will check top speed with my GPS when it is broken in.

I love the storage on this machine. I have tiedowns, a cable lock, pump, plug kits, first aid kit, manual, tooks, etc. stored in there and plenty of more room. The headlight works great, the low beams also.

The work light is great for backing up at night or just when you need more light in the rear. The suspension and wider stance also work great compared to my 2000 500 Sportsman.

I'm pleased overall.

dave

Old 09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=417930

I think this thread follows along with your problem

Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I read about it before, but knowing vehicles and ATV's pretty well, I did tap on the solenoid...no luck. So I just took it out and rode it for a bit and problems is cured. My guess on this problem is that the solenoid is obviously stuck, my problem is that the starter should no be active until the key is on and the engine switch is on. Oh well, I'll notify the dealer.

Also, just went and checked, got 145 miles on the unit in the last 4 days, 7.8 hours.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

The switches will not affect a stuck solenoid. The starting circuit engages the solenoid but does not affect the circuit completed by the solenoid if it sticks. Correct?

Old 09-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I believe that is the way it works. I'm just thinking that it should be a momentary power through the switch, whenever the switch is closed (key is turned fully). I'll have to get the Service Manual to see if I can add some circuitry to this so it won't happen. I don't really think it will be necessary. I believe the problem is that everything is new.

When I first took the machine out, the shifting was really tough to go from N->L->H, and also N->R->P. Now that I've shifted it some, it goes easily into L and H. I'm sure it will loosen up for the rest also.

Great machine though. The larger fenders which make it seem so big, work great. One problem I had on my 500 was getting hit by rocks from the front wheels. I can imagine what mud does. It has to be in the right circumstances to get hit, but here in NM all we have is rocks. Although I may be doing alittle mudding coming up in one of the arroyo's. Not looking for mud, but it will be wet in there...