Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman or rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2000, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it is not new. It is indeed new to the Sportsman. Didn't you hear of how they put it in that quad because it was the only way that they would ever beat the new Honda Automatic? I have also heard several rumors of "Green Handshakes" going on between Polaris Industries and Hi-Torque Publications.

Old 09-07-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

In the Dirtwheels shootout they said it it rides rougher and as less power than the Sportsman so why would it be worth the extra money?

Old 09-07-2000, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

About your cooling statement, you said there is no other vehicle that monitors oil temperature that you know of, what does an oil cooled machine such as a Honda 450 Foreman use to turn its fan on? You don't think I know much about mechanics, well I beg to differ. I bet I have a little more knowledge about them then you.

In your original post rooster you said that honda had split the guage of monitoring oil and water tempature, not just an oil cooled machine do I need to repost it, then you come up with just an oil cooled machine, yes honda may have a tempature gauge on just an oil cooled machine but not a tempature gauge on an oil and water cooled machine...man talk about changeing storys here is your original post.

They made a new concept in small engines, an underhead cam engine. A water/oil temp gauge. All that LCD display technology.

So now who here doesn't know what they are talking about, you first said honda had made concepts in a WATER/OIL temp gauge now you come back and start saying that Honda has a thermostat on the oil cooler...oh wow now that is some real technology a thermostat that turns a fan on when the oil gets to hot...BIG DEAL...ever thought of water cooling...oh yes Polaris was already doing that when the Rubicon came along.

In reply to your Sportsman's 4 wheel drive when going downhill, we used to have a Sportsman and sold it for the Rubicon. Don't accuse me of knowing nothing about it, I've put more miles on one then you have and probably know a lot more about it then you do.

Apparently you don't or you would have known how to put the Sportsman into 4 wheel hold back by simply holding the over ride button...seems you sold the Sportsman cause you just didn't know how to operate it seems this story has as many holes in it as a fish net like the rest of your post.

The next argument you had was about using low range. A Sportsman is ridden in low range 80% of the time? Wow, why did they put a high range in it then? I rarely used low range, the trails we have around the house are high speed trails, and even the ones at the local ATV Park we use high range with.

Apparently you were one of the previous Polaris owners that didn't know you can ride a Sportsman up to 25 mph in low gear and it is better on the belt riding it in low up to this speed instead of putting it in high where the transmission doesn't fully engage because you are in to taller gear...apparently you didn't know much about the Sportsman for you riding it as long as you said you have.

If it can't handle high range, then it's not the machine for us. If the belt can't hold up, then maybe that's why the Rubicon has the transmission it does.

Maybe if you would have rode it the way it was suppose to be operated instead of riding it in high range at 15 and 20 mph you would have had no trouble with the belt. Wait till you have to replace that tranny on the Rubicon I will take my chances on a $30 belt anytime. I have a buddy that rides just like you who thinks the Sportsman is a 1 speed who hasn't found low gear yet.

By the way, we haven't had any problems with the belt on it, and it's on its original belt.

Just goes to show even though you have been abuseing the belt it is still holding up...now what were you saying about Polaris reliability.

Next up, the floorboards. Honda took the concept of floorboards, but added sport quad like footpegs with mud protection of floorboards. Does it serve the same purpose?

Apparently another part of your post you have no clue about, better check Polaris came out with the floorboards that everybody thought were so silly just like the water cooling...now guess which flagship they are on now.

It depends. If you've ever jumped, you're ankles were probably sore if you were standing on flat floorboards. If you've ever gone up steep hills, it's easier to pivot your foot on footpegs.

Did you ever even own a Sportsman mine has footpegs or raised indentions whatever you want to call it on the floorboards...apparently if you are wanting to do all this speed and jumping what are you doing riding a utility bike...seems you kinda got your wires crossed somewhere.

Next up, digital display. Actually, where I ride, many times there will be speed limits on the town roads.

Oh ok I guess analog doesn't tell the right speed.

The reason Polaris wins pulling events is not because they're belt driven, it's because of their 4 wheel drive system and weight, plus rear traction on the Sportsmans. That's why you don't see belt driven Grizzly's, Prairies, Kodiaks, etc. winning the pulls.

Is that right, well huh maybe that is the reason I am riding a Polaris because it is the best pulling atv on the market isn't this one of the reasons of this post...Why wasn't the rubicon voted the new KING...well maybe it is because the Sportsman pulls better, has true 4 wheel drive, IRS and isn't 3 wheel drive.

About all that mod crap, add in the cost of fixing the Polaris and you're well above the cost of the Rubicon and truck and trailer to haul it!

Price of Polaris $6000 w/warranty $6500 5 yeay warranty bumper to bumper...Rubicon $7000 w/6 month warranty and one piece trans that who knows what it will to cost...now who is getting the deal here, cheaper bike with more features, pulls better, muds better, rides better, stops better...boy I am glad you made me realize what a bad deal I got...I am going to trade for a 3 wheel drive Rubicon today...NOT.

A new belt cover, new brake rotor, improved steering (a bearing on the bottom of the steering stem), a bigger carb and cam and whatever else, improved brake pads, and improved tie rod ends technological breakthroughs. They are minor updates or improvements.

You actually have the nerve to say this when honda takes a 10 year old designed quad and sticks a new trans on it and charges you $2000 more. Oh yes almost forgot they added the word Rubicon to foreman...Same old boring 3 wheel drive rough riding quad w/ a new trans what a breakthrough.

That bearing for the steering stem must not have been too hard for Polaris engineers. Bearings have been around for a long time, and on the bottom of quad's steering stems for a long time also.

Unlike Honda they listen apparently to there riders with new features and new quads that is why honda will soon be following the leader.

That's about all I have to say to Atving.

Oh Rooster you left out how you were wrong about other vehicles having belt drive or were you to embarrassed to put this in here when some of the other guys told you about belt applications being used. Now who knows what they are talking about apparently you don't. And last but not least you said:

. If you haven't ridden a Rubicon, then you'd probably be impressed by its smoothness if you ever do ride one.

I don't think I have ever been impressed by a solid axle bike they are all the same they ride like a stage coach...maybe you sold your sportsman because you didn't know how to operate by what you have written in your post...you typed it not me, but don't try to impress us with what a fine ride a recycled foreman is, when Honda starts giving the customer the value by adding a choice of bikes to buy with IRS, water cooling, disc brakes, 2 to 4 wheel drive switch and gets rid of that lame 3 wheel drive that is suppose to go anywhere, then maybe more people will be looking at them and they might start winning shoot outs....

Cob, our local ATV Park is in a county known for its hills. So is the ATV Park. They've got hills that you'll have all fours spinning going up. Is this the hills you're talking about?

Correction rooster all 3 spinning.

We went riding at the ATV Park today, and I put a lot of miles on the Rubicon. I must say that it isn't as smooth as a Sportsman, but it's a cadillac compared to the 450 it replaces. Some of the ruts weren't even felt when hit at an angle. Going up hills with it was cool too. The machine seems to stay glued to the ground. Mud protection is excellent. Did some jumping with it and it handles jumps real well. It soaks them right up with no bottoming. Sometimes I would land on one side and it would soak it right up. I rode the Rubicon more today then my 300EX. Once you get on it, it's hard getting off.

Just one question why is this guy riding a utility quad you have to admit doesn't it sound pretty stupid jumping a utility bike.

I can't wait for the day that Honda comes out with a Rubicon with IRS (which I think is coming soon), locked front wheels, 2wd/4wd switch, disc brakes, and maybe a 600cc engine. Now, what's the best way for 2wd/4wd engagement, something like Polaris, something like Yamaha, or something like the Suzuki King Quad with cables?

Don't hold your breath rooster it has took them 5 years to add water cooling as long as dummys keep buying them for $7000 they will sell you whatever they can. But don't worry when they fall into second place they may wake up.

Old 09-07-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

If Polaris took off the 2wd,4wd option ,IRS and put on a diff. front drive and kept the price the same on the SP it would greatly improve there profit margin and still be on par with everything eles out there.

Old 09-07-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Mindless chatter, that is all you add to this equation ATVING! We're all glad you "wasted" $6000 on a well appointed but still a mediocre quad. Your brakes, tie-rods and numberous other items will continue to give you fits, just a matter of time.

I really don't feel that strongly about it, but since your fit to tell others that there wasting there money on the ruby, then I'll turn the table on you. Do us all a favor and spend your free time doing something else!

Old 09-07-2000, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Seems you are one of the cry babys that is always putting a sportsman down with things that are over exaggerated or don't happen. Well mine has 1200 miles on it and it did have trouble I would live with it knowing I had the fun rideing it and it was the best bike on the market for the money besides I got the 5 year warranty and it is still cheaper than the Ruby...hate you have to read my posts but I am off due to a broken finger injury I did working...so if you don't like what you read its like a tv...change the channel or greek terms ride your rancheres but out of the Polaris forum back over to the honda forum where you all can worship the Rubicon. Seems the truth really hurts some people even if I experience some break downs I would rather be rideing something with true 4 wheel drive, disc brakes, 2 to 4 wheel drive swith, and that beloved IRS. And besides if I do have a break down I have a 5 year warranty so how could I go wrong w/ it costing $500 less and with all the extra features...Like I said the truth really hurts some people...have you ever thought of selling your rancher rancheres I been looking for a bike for my wife seems those would make a good girly bike, I want something for her that wouldn't go fast and not go up any steep stuff so are you interested in selling yours heehehe.

Old 09-07-2000, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

When it comes down to total over all maintenance costs, come talk to me in a couple of years. Let's compare check books The extra cost for the Rubicon will significantly save money for the owner in the long run.

I can care less what you ride. Whatever quad someone has, thinks theirs is best. I only made a suggestion to DRMUDD. He asked for an unbiased post and that's what I gave him, my opinion.

Old 09-07-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

nice post Atving. Mine has 1300 miles on it no problems at all, brakes good, tie rods good , everything is perfect. Just had its oil changed and greased, they looked it all over and gave it a clean bill of health.

Old 09-07-2000, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

the die cast replica of the sp 500 was like 12 bucks from wal mart..im looking for an exp. die cast.anyone know where i can find one?

Old 09-07-2000, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Atving,

It seems as though you have the mine is better than yours attitude. Do us a favor, Grow up! Putting someone's machine down is in no way to earn someone's respect in these forums. I try to visit all forums not just Hondas hoping I might have something helpful/useful to add. People come here to learn and share their experiences.

I worked hard to have what I do, just like all the rest of the people in here (including yourself) and do not appreciate your put downs.

I love to go wheeling and could care less who rides what. Just ride and have fun.

BTW, I'm am glad that you do have the confidence in you equipment to by an extended warranty. You'll need it. BASH intended!

Quick Reply: sportsman or rubicon?