Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman or rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more comment. We must all realize that we are ATV fanatics. We are the "Trekkies" of the ATV world. 99% of riders would not even begin to comprehend what we are talking about. Most don't care. For us 1 inch of ground clearance is the world, as is 1 HP. We go crazy over tire treads and light setups, turning radious and acceleration and all other details of riding. I have seen people arguing about riding boots! We are really in deep!!!

Whenever I have conversations with friends and family about which quad they should buy I could explain things for hours! They usually end up going by the looks because they do not comprehend or care about the details and all the info I spurted out! They ride it and thats it!!

Old 09-04-2000, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

The fact is, Polaris had to put a more powerful motor on the Sportsman to beat the Rubicon. of course thats part of the game. To stay ahead or at least try to.

Old 09-04-2000, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

Maybe you are rich or someone buys your atv for you. I work hard to have the things I have, so the reliable and dependable side affects me. I don't want to have to spend a lot money fixing something. So I bought a quad from a manufacturer with a reputation for building sound and dependable products.

Old 09-04-2000, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Runione,
I disagree. The Sp500HO did not win just because of the power and speed of the new motor. My 2000SP500 will easily out run a Rubi and it still exceeds the Rubi in all of the other aspects that helped the HO to win.

Greg

Old 09-04-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

ROOSTER
Real good wait till I leave town then start something like this!!!I really have very little to add other than what do you expect on the POLARIS forum.If you go to HONDU forum they will bash 500SP!You have some good points and some not so good,as far as EBS it will stop you on steep hill unless you give it gas.I mean STEEP HILL,you know where I'm at and I can assure I've been down and up stuff that you can only dream about,not putting you down only stateing that these MTN's have some great slopes in them that Wisconsin doesn't,so I can talk with athority.as far as low range most of what I do is low range!As I say most of what we ride is steep I can assure you don't want to do 50 down one of these hills.I have always used the paper filter but have replaced it with K&N on my new ones and am very happy with it,just be glad Polaris has the paper or that would be one more strike against HONDU.(LOL)In my HUMBLE opinon the 500SP is top of the line!!!But to you and TXDOC its the RUBBY all the way.Does that make either of us wrong I think not.I don't argue anymore I just let the machine do the talking,you can say what ever on here,but it's what is done in the field that counts.I rode with young guy this weekend that monitors Connection and had bought his first quad,2000 GRIZ.Well now he is thinking of buying the wife one,and had told Tim(prospector)that after this weekend and watching the 500SP that we rode he was thinking of getting her one.I really thought the Grizz did great job and went every where that we did,only thing is as I have said before that we did it easier.One obsticle that I have him on tape,he was bounching all the way where as the 500sp did it easier.I didn't get the 500SP on tape there but have some more that I'll be posting.The whole bunch that we rode with this weekend there was only one HONDA that I recall maybe Tim knows of more the majority were Polaris then Yamaha,and ZUKI.All the rideing we done I seen very few HONDU's they just aren't big seller here for what ever reason.I would say that we seen at least a 100 quads all weekend the majority were 500SP.You don't see that many of one brand for no reason.I have yet to see RUBBY on the trails,I have been watching as want to see one in action.I would say the poorest performing quad this weekend was the ZUKI was really surprised at them was first time I have spent much time with them.The KODIAK and the GRIZZ were just fine.CM

Old 09-04-2000, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rubione- talking about somebody being rich or having somebody else buy their quads for them doesn't really portain here. The way I see it, anyone who has the cash to drop on a $7000 Rubicon is not very bad off in the first place.

Old 09-04-2000, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Xplor- thats about as good as it gets. The vast majority of quad owners never see a forum and don't give a damn about most of this B.S. They do still have the "mine's better" arguements, but they don't spend hours talking about floorboards and turning diameters and accelleration times. Good post.

Old 09-04-2000, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You weak minded fool. Whats up with the excuses? Polaris more than likely would have put that motor in the Sportsman anyway, regardless of the Rubicon. Why in the hell did they come out with it on the Scrambler in the first place? To compete with the 400EX? No. Just an improvement. Then I'm sure they got feedback on why they didn't put it in the Sp500 as well. Face it buddy. Your quad didn't win the shootout. Well guess what, mine wasn't even in the shootout and if it was it would have come in last, and I don't mind that a bit. Quit whining all the time. Making excuses and all. I sat here and watched this thread go and go and now it is just nerve racking with all of the same repeated crap. Go whine to Dirtwheels and maybe they will do another shootout just for you, but they won't count suspension or drag races this time. To be repetitive once again, its not the new HO motor, its the IRS, true 4wd, and 2wd option that allows it to win.

Old 09-04-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,
My wife thinks I am crazy spending so much time on these forums. But I am learning a lot about ATV's and how they work. I can even fix things in the woods at my camp now if something goes wrong. Plus I know of so many mods now, she is really pi$$ed at me spending.

I suppose I am turning into a....what exactly would you call us??????

Later

Old 09-04-2000, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

i think a testiment that the sp500ho really is the best is that there wasent any polaris adds in that issue of dirtwheels.(at least i dont think there was) so know one can say that polaris "bought" the win in the magizine.

later
jon

Quick Reply: sportsman or rubicon?