Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman or rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SP rides smoother over rough terain,has more power,out carries and out pulls what left to talk about in a Utility quad? The reliabity thing does not go over with me because I had one for three years now with only normal keep up.The newer SP seem to have the bugs out of them what ever they where.I hope Polaris does not change there 4wd system it's the reason I bought it for the only other bike with true 4wd is the Traxter.

Old 09-03-2000, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have. i own one.

Old 09-03-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Tim you want to hear a real story of hauling a$$ I put a buddy of mine who weighs about 300 lbs on the front of mine and hauled him up a 60 to 70 degree embankment the other day with no problem at all. I do have the black waters 26x12x12 all the way around, which did help a lot. I don't think these tires would even fit on the rubicon without a lift.

Old 09-03-2000, 03:44 PM
guy
Range Rover

The reason the Sportsman feels tippy is because of its HUGE ground clearance. And thats a definite plus when you want to do some mudding and anything else.

Old 09-03-2000, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Cool, got some feedback.

Atving:

"And this one really killed me why would you want an oil cooler with water cooling, believe it or not getting an engine to cool can be just as hazardous as getting one to hot. Ask anyone that fools with sports cars that go through the trouble of adding a lower tempature thermostat and a computer controller to there corvette been there done that on a 94 corvette."

That's what that thermostat that you don't like is for on the Rubicon. It monitors both the oil and water temp. If any one of them gets warm enough, it kicks the fan on. The oil might get warmer a lot faster than the water, or vice versa.

"Uhhhhhh yes it sure does, hold the over ride button as you mshift into forward gear and all 4 wheels hold back. But after getting used to riding the sportsman going down steep stuff and adding some better tires the 2 wheel ebs works superior."

Explain how hitting the override button engages the front wheels going downhill.

"Now why would you have to have engine compression braking in high gear, why wouldn't you be using the lower gear if you were needing to be slowing down more."

Engine braking in high gear? Because that's the range I'm in 90% of the time. Who the hell wants to stop and put the machine in low gear every time a hill comes about?

"Does the Sportsman have neat footpegs with the addition of protection of floorboards?

Have you ever even seen a sportsman??? full floorboards with molded floor pegs that are quite comfortable."

What I meant by this is actual footpegs like what a sport quad uses with floorboards underneath them. Not a floorboard with spikes in the shape of a footpeg.

"Does the Sportsman have a cool LCD digital display?

NO it doesn't but who keeps an eye on the speedometer going 40 mph on a treacherous path...I sure don't."

I love the digital display, I wouldn't want to be without it.

About the cpu on an ATV statement you made, yes they are on automobiles. But you also don't see belt driven automobiles. Does belt drive belong on a quad that's subjected to mud and water? Now you're gonna reply "There are very few cases where there are belt problems" Well there are very few cases where there are cpu problems on the Rubicon. I'm sure Polaris will get into the cpu stuff eventually.

Some of the stuff you replied with meant putting add-ons to the Sportsman. Do you think that's fair? Putting the light switch inbetween high and low, that's not what it was designed for. But it does work. Don't you think that there are mods that would make the Honda a lot more competitive? How about add a front diff locker for true 4 wheel drive? Or add a bigger carb and do some engine work and beat a Sportsman HO. Put some aftermarket shocks on and see the ride quality of the Rubicon go up. Put a high lifter lift kit on for more ground clearance. Get my point?

About the single lever brake issue, I was a little off there. Actually hitting any of the brakes on the Rubicon would mean all four wheels would get braked due to the full time 4x4.

For Andy: a trick we use when hauling our quads is put a thick rubberband on the front brake lever, applying the front brake pretty firmly. It works well and all four wheels are locked solid, provided the parking brake is on also. Also, about Polaris technology in the Sportsman, I meant that there wasn't much new technology that came out on the Sportsman that wasn't already in their lineup from years past. That's what I was getting at.

Jumping onto the Rubicon and then to the Sportsman, it seems like the Rubicon is ahead of time and the Sportsman is behind times, just by the digital display. Go for a ride, and the Sportsman seems ahead of times and the Honda seems behind times, go figure!

As for this entire thread, I don't know why people post these kind of topics because the Honda owners like the Hondas and the Polaris owners like the Polaris'. That's just the way it is, you're not gonna find many people that hate their quad.

Old 09-04-2000, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sad to say, but until somebody else slaps out a big bore with an independant rear suspension, the Sportsman will always be ahead or at least with the times. Thats the factor that has been the quad killer for the past 4 years. Everyone else loses the shootouts because of that alone. Honda made a damn good quad with the Rubicon, but left out disc brakes and a 2wd option. That is enough already to lose a shootout. Then on top of that, they still can't compete with IRS. Shootout guys love it, and it alone is enough to push whatever has it over the edge.

I though that the magazines would give the nod to the Rubicon, just if only because of the new tranny and the fact that it is an all new model. Didn't happen. They were honest. Good luck to the rest in finally figuring out what setup will dethrone the sportsman.

Old 09-04-2000, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

"And this one really killed me why would you want an oil cooler with water cooling, believe it or not getting an engine to cool can be just as hazardous as getting one to hot. Ask anyone that fools with sports cars that go through the trouble of adding a lower tempature thermostat and a computer controller to there corvette been there done that on a 94 corvette."

That's what that thermostat that you don't like is for on the Rubicon. It monitors both the oil and water temp. If any one of them gets warm enough, it kicks the fan on. The oil might get warmer a lot faster than the water, or vice versa.

Boy do you need to take a few mechanic classes do you realize that your oil would boil if not for the circulating water jacket that keeps the engine cool in turn, turning on the fan to cool the water down...so why would you have to monitor the tempature of the oil, there is no other vehicle I am aware that has a setup that measures oil tempature it would just be useless. Now oil pressure that is a different story...better catch a class on mechanics 101 Rooster.

"Uhhhhhh yes it sure does, hold the over ride button as you mshift into forward gear and all 4 wheels hold back. But after getting used to riding the sportsman going down steep stuff and adding some better tires the 2 wheel ebs works superior."

Explain how hitting the override button engages the front wheels going downhill.

Well you must not know about this and it was one of your main points of putting the sportsman down ask any Sportsman owner just hold the over ride button give it gas in reverse shift into forward while holding the button and shazam 4 wheel hold back ...seems you need to do a little research on a sportsman before you start downing something you know nothing about.

"Now why would you have to have engine compression braking in high gear, why wouldn't you be using the lower gear if you were needing to be slowing down more."

Engine braking in high gear? Because that's the range I'm in 90% of the time. Who the hell wants to stop and put the machine in low gear every time a hill comes about?

Well how about try this and this is just another area you are talking about which you know nothing about, usually when someone rides a sportsman it is driven in low gear about 80% of the time and speeds can be reached in low gear up to 25 mph the high gear is when you are cruising down a dirt road or open road, so if you are riding a sportsman and clunking along at 15 mph you are doing your belt no good, apparently everyone knows this except you.

"Does the Sportsman have neat footpegs with the addition of protection of floorboards?

Have you ever even seen a sportsman??? full floorboards with molded floor pegs that are quite comfortable."

What I meant by this is actual footpegs like what a sport quad uses with floorboards underneath them. Not a floorboard with spikes in the shape of a footpeg.

Oh wow what a big selling point they stuck footpegs in the floorboard don't the spikes in the shape of a footpeg serve the same purpose a place for your foot to grip. HOnda should know all about this they stole the idea from POlaris.

"Does the Sportsman have a cool LCD digital display?

NO it doesn't but who keeps an eye on the speedometer going 40 mph on a treacherous path...I sure don't."

I love the digital display, I wouldn't want to be without it.

And I ask again where does electronics belong in mud and water, I guess if an lcd is so important to you than IRS, disc brakes, ground clearance, true 4 wheel drive then I guess thats why you are driving a HOnda. Sorry that electronic display don't mean that much to mean I would rather have features that make it climb and mud better, and more comfortable to ride. The analog display serves the same person...why would be important to know how fast you are going I haven't seen any speed limits signs up on the trails I ride lately.

About the cpu on an ATV statement you made, yes they are on automobiles. But you also don't see belt driven automobiles. Does belt drive belong on a quad that's subjected to mud and water? Now you're gonna reply "There are very few cases where there are belt problems" Well there are very few cases where there are cpu problems on the Rubicon. I'm sure Polaris will get into the cpu stuff eventually.

Apparently they do belong on atv's or did you get to check out the pulls that cm posted where polaris won 9 out of the 11 events, seems that is pretty good evidence why belts belong on atv's. They use to make Polaris pull by themselves that should tell you something there. And if you have got a belt wet from slipping it is because of two reasons you either don't have a good sealed case or you have a polaris that is up past the handle bars in the water and if it does get wet a few minutes and it drys out seems like a pretty good sacrifice the way Polaris proves itself in pulling events...don't you think so. And how about when you have to replace that lustrous honda trans one piece you got $crewed transmission to replace costing $$$$, when on the polaris simply replace the belt and you are back in action.

Some of the stuff you replied with meant putting add-ons to the Sportsman. Do you think that's fair? Putting the light switch inbetween high and low, that's not what it was designed for. But it does work. Don't you think that there are mods that would make the Honda a lot more competitive?

What kind of many add ons that amout to $0 dollars I mean come on the only arguement you have on this is adding a k&n air filter I think it would cost a lot more to bring the rubicon up to snuff with the polaris, last time I checked POlaris was charging me to put the switch between high and low so all three lights would burn. So how much would a locker, a 2 to 4 wheel drive switch, IRS, disc brakes, a tail lamp, cost to add to a rubicon say oh roughly $1500 so now you got a honda that cost $8500 and you can buy the Polaris for $6000 with the same features so I guess you see where this is going.

How about add a front diff locker for true 4 wheel drive?

You can't add this and have that easy steering you are use to just ask some of the guys who have lockers. That just puts you back to HOnda makes it that way without a 2 to 4 wheel drive switch if you don't like it that way tough.

Or add a bigger carb and do some engine work and beat a Sportsman HO.

Oh so how much money are we talking here just to bring it up to par with a sportsman adding a bigger carb and some engine work say a $1000 so add that to the $8500 and now you have a $9500 Honda just to get it up to the level of the Sportsman that cost $6000 well again you see where this is going, why would you spend almost $10,000 for a Honda when you can spend $6000 for a bike with the same qualitys...I don't like HOndas that much.

Put some aftermarket shocks on and see the ride quality of the Rubicon go up. Put a high lifter lift kit on for more ground clearance. Get my point?

Yes I get your point so now how much are we up to about $11,000 for the Honda and you still have a solid axle rear end, and drum brakes. You are starting to really make the HOnda look worse and worse Rooster unless you like paying $11,000 for a quad when you can buy the same with more features for $6000.

About the single lever brake issue, I was a little off there. Actually hitting any of the brakes on the Rubicon would mean all four wheels would get braked due to the full time 4x4.

Correct me if I am wrong on the honda one hand brake is hooked to the 2 front wheels so when you get in a bad situation, say you start loosing control of it going down a hill and panic and hit that one brake lever wouldn't the stopping of just the front wheels cause the bike to lurch forward causing you and the bike to overturn forward???

For Andy: a trick we use when hauling our quads is put a thick rubberband on the front brake lever, applying the front brake pretty firmly. It works well and all four wheels are locked solid, provided the parking brake is on also. Also, about Polaris technology in the Sportsman, I meant that there wasn't much new technology that came out on the Sportsman that wasn't already in their lineup from years past. That's what I was getting at.

And again Rooster you need to do a little studying on the improvements on the sportsman here is a few new belt cover, new brake rotor, improved steering, HO performance, improved brakes, improved tie rod ends do I need to say more and again I say how do you improve the wheel make it rounder???

Jumping onto the Rubicon and then to the Sportsman, it seems like the Rubicon is ahead of time and the Sportsman is behind times, just by the digital display. Go for a ride, and the Sportsman seems ahead of times and the Honda seems behind times, go figure!

As for this entire thread, I don't know why people post these kind of topics because the Honda owners like the Hondas and the Polaris owners like the Polaris'. That's just the way it is, you're not gonna find many people that hate their quad.

Well Rooster no LCD display is going to win me over from true 4 wheel drive, ground clearance, IRS, softer ride, disc brakes, 2 to 4 wheel drive switch. You just keep on watching that LCD as you hold your back as you go up a rough trail in 3 wheel drive. People starts these post so that they can read how people compare their bikes to other bikes. NO there is nobody who is going to be unfavorable except some who are complaing about the improved differential that they didn't get with there honda. It would not make any sense to do research on a bike and go out and buy the opposite of what you thought performed better or rode better or climbed better...so the ball is in your park Mr Rooster...

Old 09-04-2000, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

After reading the Dirt Wheels article it appeared that the Rubi and the Sportsman were very close with the Sportsman having a better suspension and more speed. It seems that Polaris had to put another motor on the Sportsman just to get a slight edge over the Rubi. I believe Polaris claims a 20% increase in horsepower. Well, I would hope the Sportsman would be faster with this increase in horsepower. I also believe the article said the Rubi would do everything the Sportsman H.O. would do with exception of top end speed.
Also, I know for a fact that if it is written on paper it has got to be true. However, there is one glitch to this. Anyone can make CRAP look good on paper if he/she uses the appropriate
words. There are factors to consider when a comparison is done between quads. Some of them being rider,opinion and bias. As I said earlier Polaris had to put a high output motor with 20% more power to have a slight edge over the Rubi.
Considering the reliability and the dependability of Honda I would definitely take the Rubi over the Sportsman. I owned a 1999 Sportsman 500 and sold it to buy a Rubicon. This was a great move for me.

Old 09-04-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

A slight edge? I read the article it was a tad more than a slight edge. Trust me the HO motor for 2001 was not to beat the Rubicon( the only thing the HO is doing for the SP is making it faster and some more power, everything else was pretty much already there), it was to make an awesome atv just that much better. Who's is better? who really gives a crap?

Old 09-04-2000, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I really feel the need to add my 2 cents.

First of all it does not take a genious to see that Polaris riders love Polaris and Honda riders love Honda. This is fact no. 1. I myself do not enjoy the ride of Honda...after dismounting my Polaris. Thats my preference. The "feeling" I get when riding both is Honda feels wimpy but sturdy. As for my Polaris'...they feel powerful but fragile.(my personal feeling...)

People in inferior positions will always find small problems in others. Here are the facts:

1- Polaris has the world's best true 4x4 system. Quit nitpicking about downhilling and high/low gear and crap like that. When I am on my father-in law's Sportsman and going at 45 mph...I dont want the EBS to slow me down in 1/10 of a second. That would just make me nautious! Following my friend on his Magnum with EBS in the most treturous hills, I was always on the brakes with my Xplorer. As for him, he was just rolling down on the EBS. And these hills scared me!

2- Polaris should have a digital speedo with all the gadgets that Honda's have. I saw my aunt's 350es and she had the time of day and everything. It is really a step above my Polaris speedo. That is a fact. We all seem to want "top of the line" features. This is one of those.

3- Suspention goes to the Sportsman. Do not even argue with me on this one. Sure it is not as sporty as a rear axle, but it is the best. Of coarse double A-arms in front would be even better in certain circumstances...no hiding that.

4-Price goes to Polaris.

5-Floorboards were and are Polaris innovations. 4 years ago everybody was badtalking the full floorboards...now everyone has them! End of story.

6-The best feeling quad goes to...personal preference! We all like different foods, women, cars, etc. Our perception of the ride is very personal depending on our size and weight and specific tastes.

7-Headlights and other tidbits. Honda does need a taillight. That is very important to keep other riders off your rear rack in tight trails. Fact. Besides that just take what the quad you are looking at offers and spend a few bucks to correct what you don't like. I read on the other post that to make the headlight mod on the Polaris, it costs about 2$ at radio-shack.

8-Reliability and ease of maintenace. HONDA...HONDA...HONDA. I have family members with 14 year old Honda's that have all original parts. They are really bullet-proof! Polaris' take a bit more TLC to keep them running at peak efficiency. That is part of owning a machine with more features when it comes to performance and comfort.

9-Engine cooling. Who cares?! As long as you can ride and do what you want without overheating. Isn't that all that matters? Certain systems have certain problems that need to be upgraded. Mine never overheats so I am happy.

10-Belt vs. no belt... Personnal choice again. My belts have slipped about 3 times in the past 5 years. Thats not bad. But the fear of having it slip when I rush into a huge waterhole is sometimes unnerving. Apparently the problem is now solved as of 2001. The Honda trannny looks and sound great. Plus you can shift with your left hand if you want. That sounds cool when on really long boring rides.

This is getting too long so thats it for me. Make a Hybrid quad that is 1/2 Polaris and 1/2 Honda, with the best features from both, and it would undeniably be the best ATV on earth! Just give 2 choices when it comes to tranny...

Quick Reply: sportsman or rubicon?