Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

k&N vs Uni. Air box verse open element.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default k&N vs Uni. Air box verse open element.

OK. well I modded my air box a little while back removing the baffles and modifying the intake up by the gas tank to be 2.5 inches wide.(basically I copied pictures of the ritter airbox) .

On my air box with the lid that holds the filter down screwed down there is a .25 inch gap all around the filter. I don't see how the stock box has much if any water protection aside from simply being sheilded. but water could still come in at this gap. Is this how you guys boxes are stock? This is with the foam prefilter for the stock paper removed.

I want to get either a K&n filter or a uni filter. the K&n is almost twice that of a uni is it that much better? I always heard foam flowed the worst of all air filter materials, but alot of people with 4 wheelers seem to use foam.

also what are the benefits of open element verse the air box. I assume the air box would have water protection but in the case of my air box it isn't much just protection from splashing. Water will still get in if I submerge my quad, whihc isn't often.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinion on this, and everyone will say something different........

An airbox will stop you from getting water and other stuff into the filter(or its supposed to), but the box is also restrictive of your airflow, causing a power loss(also extra weight)......

Without an airbox, your filter is easy accessable(by you and the elements), but also increases power and lessens weight.......

I say, if you don't do water that much(like riding in rivers and deep puddles) then go with a clamp on filter and remove the box......

As for K&N or Uni(foam)......I like K&N, because I ride a lot of dirt and sand......the uni is supposed to be better in water and mud though....so its up to your riding style......

Either way, an aftermarket filter is a plus......even with the box still on.....and either way, you will need to rejet your carb.....

Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the reply

my jetting is rite were I want it now with little dumb luck, so it kind of sucks to rejet, but o well.

I realized after posting this that it would get opinionated. that is what I was looking for though a who runs what and why, without any attachs on someone elses post.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Here is my opinion on this, and everyone will say something different........

An airbox will stop you from getting water and other stuff into the filter(or its supposed to), but the box is also restrictive of your airflow, causing a power loss(also extra weight)......

Without an airbox, your filter is easy accessable(by you and the elements), but also increases power and lessens weight.......

I say, if you don't do water that much(like riding in rivers and deep puddles) then go with a clamp on filter and remove the box......

As for K&N or Uni(foam)......I like K&N, because I ride a lot of dirt and sand......the uni is supposed to be better in water and mud though....so its up to your riding style......

Either way, an aftermarket filter is a plus......even with the box still on.....and either way, you will need to rejet your carb.....

Couldnt have said it better myself Brad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My thoughts exactly

Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

id still be interested to know if someone has actually DYNO'D filters and boxes....

i know on the DS the KN flows a bit worse than the foam (forget which foam it was) but the KN actually lost .5hp i beleivei tw as on the top end, where as the foam lost nothing (all gain compared to stock)

and for the ds im pretty sure its better to run either no box, or box, with lid on, as i guess the airbox/snorkel setup creates a vaccume and almost forces the air in...

and seeing as how the KN is really expensive id be afraid to spend too much on it...

Old 10-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

How much mud/water can a k/n clamp on with outerwear handle without causing a problem? I won't be in it much, but occasionally

Old 10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

troyer, thats what I'm wondering as well. I will probable go with a uni though. I don't put my scrammy in mud but occasionally I have to go through it.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I just got a K&N today for the stock airbox. But if a slip on with outerwear will protect against occasional mud then I would like to run that most of the time. I could change if I was going to get crazy.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, I bought a K&N filter for my airbox and it worked pretty well. However, since then I bought a K&N clamp-on style filter and an outerwear. I do find a little mud and water sometimes but you really have to "splash" into a puddle or submerge the quad to get the filter soaked. The carb is protected somewhat by the clutch cover and exhaust anyway. General riding has not been a problem for this filter setup so far. It made it a lot easier to take my carb off to get the jetting dialed in with out having to remove the air box also. For what it's worth, I just wanted to let you know my situation. Like Brad said, it depends on your riding style.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

On a trip this summer to the U.P. we ran in to mud & water big time, I still had the stock set up on both quads &
was real glad I still had the air box on, protecting the motor should be the #1 thing, for this reason I went with the
uni-filter for my replacement with the box & lid on, if u always ride in the same areas & know the conditions well
then maybe u can open the flow up more, but watch your jetting!

Quick Reply: k&N vs Uni. Air box verse open element.