Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front end wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end wobble?

I get a front end wobble, side to side starting at about 40 mph. Anyone have this problem. I had this on my 27" 589's and also on my 27" Mudlites. I haven't adjusted the suspension yet and it is setup fairly cushy from the factory.

I'm going to stiffen up the front end somewhat, because the front end seems to float at 40 and above, may be why there is some wobble. Although, it may need some stiffening on the rear also, causing the front end to float.

Anyone have this problem, what adjustments did you make to fix it. Possibly a steering dampner is needed.

thanks,
dave

Old 10-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

I don"t know if it is the same wobble we are talking about but I had a bad wobble on my ho with the stock badlands I think it was a badly out of balance front tire because from new it had about 8 wheel weights on one of the front wheels ,they must have been trying to compensate with lots of weight to balance it instead of replacing the tire at the factory ,which is what should of been done,the wobble was bad at higher speeds(40 and up).I replaced tires with 25 inch 589"s and now no wobble at all.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was getting a wobble in my tires at around 60 on pavement but i dont get up around that on trails so i dont worry bout it

Old 10-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Has any tire slime been put in the tires? At higher speeds it tends to take the balance out of a tire.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

non in mine it was like the tires were wobbling and the handlebars shaked too it was weird

Old 10-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, little more info....

The tires/wheels are not balanced, that I'll get done this week, could be the problem. I looked at the stock polaris 26" tire/wheels and they have weights all over them.

I looked at the suspension, the rear appears to already be on the stiffest setting, and seems about right to me....but....the front end feels soft. So, I went inside the storage rack in the front, this is where to you to the top of the shock on the '05s and the seem to not have much adjust ment and already are on the stiffest setting, unless I'm doing something wrong. They seem to have much less than 1/2" to adjust. I wanted to crank them down tighter, but they are already down all the way, no much room for adjustment at all?????????????

The stock tires work fine, which are 26", so I'll get these other tires balanced and see what happens. Polaris also claims they make different spring rates, I read somewhere, I think in the owner's manual.....have to call them if the tire balancing doesn't work out....

Oh well, didn't get to do much tire testing this weekend, used my Otter trailer to haul dirt at a friends house yesterday and I worked today, so will have to play next weekend...

dave

Old 10-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a used machine that had bad front struts (shocks). It did just what you are talking about. I changed the struts and the problem was solved. HTH.

David

Old 10-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

Mine did this after I dumped it on its top. it had snapped the hard plastic bushing at the top of the strut letting ther top of the strut move about 1/2 inch back & forth

Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Mine is brand new, no wrecks....works flawless with stock tires....

Two things I'm going to do, have the tires/wheels balanced and if I can find the damn things, get some progressive spring kits for the front....i found the part number from Progressive Suspension....31-2007, just can't find anyone that has them, hate to get raked by the dealer....

dave

Old 10-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
non in mine it was like the tires were wobbling and the handlebars shaked too it was weird
shouldnt be doing that.somethin sounds wrong maybe u should ask dennis about it

Quick Reply: Front end wobble?