Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Weight Shaving on a scramler 500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Shaving on a scramler 500?

Hey guys.
wonderring what sort of parts // cutting // other things would shave SUBSTANCIAL weight of my scrambler for the money. if any. if nothing's possibile, that's cool, but if there is something, what? i've been told you can take like rack mount prackets off and rap like that... but idk. thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Aluminum rims, remove the tool box, floor boards, aluminum handlebars, lose the 4wd. You may even be able to remove the starter and battery on the 500. I dont know of anyone that has though

Old 10-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

got aluminum rims, floorboards, & bumper, already, the X model came that way... and it's 2x4... thanks tho [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] just want somethin i can MX with.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you want to MX, then I personally believe that the scrambler is not the machine you want. You would be better off with a Pred. The scrambler is not made for MXing. Its too big and heavy to be competative in that. Not to mention, the frame and suspension arent really up to the task of the big air. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But I think you are trying to make the scrambler into something it is not.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Heard that already.. quite a few times and i figured as much... just thought it would be a sweet sleeper if you COULD do it... oh well, plans are new pred next summer anyway... thanks guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!

Old 10-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u could def do it!!! maybe not in mx but in xc u could win big time!!! keep teh 4x4 so u can race utility

Old 10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

SCR X was only 2x4 oh well...

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

can still race xc get the 600 kit or teh bigger one and mod it up it will cruz and have unbelievable torque

Old 10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

it's possible if the predator doesn't go through next season. for now i just wanted cheap go fast parts.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm speaking from my 400 scrambler 2x4 but I weighed all my removed parts last night and I have gotten 22 pounds of the bike. I didn't weigh these parts independently.

removed air box-replaced with uni pod. ( the airbox had substantial weight.) it looks like from your signature you already did this.

removed floor boards and mud flaps. (negligible difference, if you were going to get nerfs instead. You will save a couple pounds if you were to not put nerfs on but not much.)

cut front fenders again good for 3-4 pounds, I didn;t do the rears.

remove headlight and guard. I use an automotive fog light instead.

I also removed the raidator guard, a risk but worth 5-8pounds. depends on your riding, I'm not scared with the skid plate inplace.

I also am not aware of what muffler was on the 500 but the stock 400 muffler is heavy, I went with a dg universal I had laying around. its just a striaght threw no spark arrestor muffler and it saved me some good weight. my stock muffler was atleast 10 pounds unfortunatly I didn't weight things independently. just stood on a bathroom scale with an empty laundry basket. then filled the basket and stood on it again. subtracted the difference. If my addition doesn;t add up to 22 I apologize but those were my original guestimations I was more concerned with what I removed as a whole.

you could go to an 8inch rim in the rear for some more weight. or try different tires. I have also heard of people removing the radiator fan and wiring but I don't see it being that much weight savings.

Quick Reply: Weight Shaving on a scramler 500?