Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

High Octane Fuel for Scrambler 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Octane Fuel for Scrambler 400

I get this 100LL for free, so its quite practical to use, plus it does burn much cleaner, (besides the lead). But how and what would I re-jet the engine too? The Jet fuel thing was I guess just for racing, because if you didn't know, that is what your "Octane Booster" is, Jet A Fuel, or JP-8. My friend races go cats and he ads a ceratain amount of Jet to his gasoline, this increases the octane and oil amount. But what would I have to do to rejet my engine, I'm not to familiar with small 2-stroke, 4-stroke engines.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I'll say this one more time. Put it in the tank and go have fun.
I dissagree with having to rejet. If it was on the money before, you'll be super close now. If not, it's easy to rejet. The only reason to rejet when you change fuel is if the fuel has more O2 in it, (an oxygenated fuel) or if it has less BTU's/ lb (Alky, nitro ect, ect).
If you are getting it for free, ship me out a few gallons!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
P.S. Jet fuel is essentially kerosene. I can think of no reason to mix it with gasoline.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks doctorturbo, I'll give it a shot, if you are ever out my way....you can have all the 100LL you want. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], I have another question though, what are the benifits of using a "higher-octane" fuel, I've heard so many diff. opinions, however they contradict. I'd be intreested in what you have to say.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey doc, still answering these octane questions i see.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

It's been my experience that 2 strokes need some jet tweaking for the application of av gas. We use some from the family's airport and have noticed that the banshees and blasters run better when rejetted for the fuel. Its typically a small adjustment but it helps none the less. If you are just trail riding and have your jetting close, then you are right you could get by without it. But since I'm usually looking for peak power when I run this kind of stuff I get all the advantages I can.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

When can i arange to pick up the fuel? Cincinnati is to awfull far away, atleast not for that kinda fuel. Ill bring my 500 gallon water tank is this okay? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Oh, I see what you saying now Maddog. Makes since to me. I thought you meant a big main jet change. I usually had to make slight changes in my idle speed because it would idle higher with race gas in the tank. Why? I don't know? Maybe the BTU thing? I just don't know?

what are the benifits of using a "higher-octane" fuel, I've heard so many diff. opinions, however they contradict. I'd be intreested in what you have to say.
The only thing higher octane will do for you is, prevent preignition. As the piston comes up in the bore on the compression stroke it makes heat, lots of heat. The higher static compression ratio the more heat is produced. If you are using too low of an octane rated fuel for your engine this heat will ignite the mixture too early. Then the plug will light the mixture off in another part of the combustion chamber. When this happens the two pressure waves will bang into each other and that is that pinging sound you hear. They hit so hard that they "can" break pistons, blocks, rings and even cause crank failure by flattening out the bearing shell (not ball)and scrap the oil off of the crank.

Some racing fuels have more BTU's/ lb than pump gas. Not much, but some. I should not say this, but I'm going to. By burning race gas in an engine you can pick up a SLIGHT amount of power (I can't say about 100LL). The thing is, it's a trade off. Because the race fuel burns slower, you will loose a SMALL amount of power because the plug won't light off soon enough and the fuel will slowly burn down the hole after the piston goes past top dead center. SO, it's about a dead draw. No gain, no loss in power, but lots of $$$$$$'s spent on high octane gas for no gain in power or any other reason. You can fix this SLIGHTLY by advancing your ignition timing so your plug will light the mixture off sooner.

All in all, you should run the octane the owners manual calls for. If you run a higher octane, it will cause no harm to the engine, just your wallet. If you run too low of an octane, your engine will go bang.

BTW, I am not saying this to you because I don't know your story. If anybody is ripping fuel out of wing tanks on planes I hope you get what is coming to you. Pilots don't take too kindly of this act. And for good reason, their lives depend on having fuel in their plane.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

No problems there Doc, I'm a pilot, started as a kid, then after college went into the Marines as a pilot, actually I just got back. Now I fly up hear in Ohio, the FBO I fly out of has to sump there AvGas trucks every morning for standard procedure, the gas that is sumped out is thrown away into a storage tank that The FBO pays a company to empty every month, I asked the FBO manager if I could either buy it off him for half price, he just gives it to me. I have had people siphen fuel from my wing tanks before though...your absolutly right it is dangerous, I count on every gallon that is in there. Thanks for all your help,

Semper Fi

Old 10-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

USMCaviator you lucky dog!!!!!!!!!! Man, what a great gig!!!!
You may want to let it settle out and make sure there is no water in it if it comes from the bottem of the tank. Since your a pilot, you already know about water!!! Also you may want to get a filter funnel and run the fuel through it to make sure it is dead clean.
Have fun with your free fuel!!!!!!! I would not tell too many people about what you have going on, or you may find yourself without free fuel!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]