Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'04 700 EFI Gas Tank Reading

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004 | 04:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default '04 700 EFI Gas Tank Reading

I have a '04 700 EFI and my gas tank reading is way off. All of the lights on the digital meter stays lit until the gas level goes down below 1/2 tank. At that point the gas tank is narrow at the bottom and the gas level goes down very fast!!

I have been told by Polaris it is a known flaw in the design of the gas tank and that I will have to live with it.

Anyone else experience this?

Richard

Old 10-29-2004 | 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Yup. My 400 is the same.

Old 10-29-2004 | 08:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Do you feel comfortable knowing you spent this amount of money for a 4 wheeler and something as simple as a gas gauge does not work on a new unit? At first I was a little bothered but ok with it....then when I called Polaris on another issue and menitoned the gas guage - boy did they get rude.

By chance does Polaris mention anywhere or does anyone have where Polaris is stating this is a design flaw and cannot be fixed?

Does everyone's Polaris 700 EFI or other models do the same?

Thanks..

Originally posted by: CmdrBen
Yup. My 400 is the same.

Old 10-29-2004 | 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

It basically does the same thing on my '05 700 EFI....its stays on full until about half full then starts dropping...my friends Kawasaki brute force does the same thing. I have not seen a ATV that had an accurate guage. Its kind of like vehicles, they all read different at their marks....My F250 Superduty is actually empty when it hits the bottom line, My Nissan has about 4-5 gallons left at the bottom line...

Old 10-29-2004 | 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

My KQ does the same thing. You think you only used a half tank, then you go and fill it and find out it's 3/4 of a tank. Heck my truck does that. I can go about 50 miles before it gets off the full mark, then the next 50 I'm barly over 1/2 tank. So once you get used to how the gage works, you will be find with it.

Old 10-30-2004 | 02:42 AM
Range Rover

I find it irritating too. This isn't rocket science, it's a simple fuel gauge. Polaris has a lot of little "design flaws" that pi$$ me off. The good outweighs the bad, so I just deal with it.

The other guys are right. Most of the other ATVs are the same. My brothers Eiger fuel gauge doesn't move until it's down to about 1/2 a tank. My Arctic Cat is the most accurate gauge I've seen so far.

Old 10-30-2004 | 02:49 AM
Range Rover

Forgot to add that I haven't seen anything about it other than here on the forum. If it's a design flaw they seem to be keeping it quiet. But that would be typical Polaris ...

Also, I had mine in to the dealer for a tech bulletin on the coil wire and a fuel pump issue. They replaced my sending unit instead of looking at the fuel pump. Nothing changed so I guess it's a problem they can't overcome.

Old 10-30-2004 | 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

It's not a design flaw, they simply have to mold a tank in the shape that will fit the available space on the atv. The only way you can have a very linear gauge is to have a perfectly square tank, think about it.....
You should take your quad on a average ride and run it till it's out of fuel keeping track of the miles, now you know what your fuel range is. Don't forget to carry some extra fuel to get back lol...

Old 11-01-2004 | 12:51 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I agree about this not being rocket science on the gauge. Interesting is that I have been told by a local dealer that not all the 700 EFI's he sold had this problem. When I took mine in for the 3 service bulletins, I had him contact Polaris on the gas gauge issue. The Polaris tech stated in fact this was a design flaw and that it should be corrected in the '05's. However after I read another post in this thread - it looks like the design has not changed.

Don't mean to sound picky here - but 1/8 or 1/4 off from the reading I could deal with. When it's over a 1/2 tank off - we have problems.

IMHO Polaris should have caught this error in the design stage. In addition if there is a remedy for this problem – they should issue a service bulletin.

Richard

I find it irritating too. This isn't rocket science, it's a simple fuel gauge. Polaris has a lot of little "design flaws" that pi$$ me off. The good outweighs the bad, so I just deal with it.

The other guys are right. Most of the other ATVs are the same. My brothers Eiger fuel gauge doesn't move until it's down to about 1/2 a tank. My Arctic Cat is the most accurate gauge I've seen so far.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004 | 10:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

On a side note....is there anyone who has a Polaris Sportsman ATV that has an fuel gauge reading within a 1/8 of a tank of gas?

I am just curious if my problem can be fixed.

Thanks!

Originally posted by: gacollege
I agree about this not being rocket science on the
gauge. Interesting is that I have been told by a local dealer that not all the 700 EFI's he sold had this problem. When I took mine in for the 3 service bulletins, I had him contact Polaris on the gas gauge issue. The Polaris tech stated in fact this was a design flaw and that it should be corrected in the '05's. However after I read another post in this thread - it looks like the design has not changed.

Don't mean to sound picky here - but 1/8 or 1/4 off from the reading I could deal with. When it's over a 1/2 tank off - we have problems.

IMHO Polaris should have caught this error in the design stage. In addition if there is a remedy for this problem – they should issue a service bulletin.

Richard

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: '04 700 EFI Gas Tank Reading