Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tires? ( filling with air question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires? ( filling with air question)

Does anybody know how many bottles of air it will take to fill your tire?
Say you have a flat and you put a plug in it ; how many air bottles will it take to bring the pressure up to RIDING conditions?
I just got a kit from cabelas and was wondering how many extra bottles i need to buy

Left click Copy and paste to see item:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...412&hasJS=true

Old 10-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

I've never tried the CO2. What I do is carry a small 12v compressor in my rack bag, think I paid $12 for it. Then when my repair is made and the tire aired up, it's a done deal. CO2 will change pressures with temperature and would only be good to get you back to civilization, where you would have to bleed it out and refill with air.

I know it's not what you asked, but the compressor would be much cheaper and better IMO.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

not sure on youe question either,just wanted to say that i use a small hand pump for a bike,it even has a built in pressure gauge.i found it out on the trails so thats a bonus[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

I have a 12v air pump,plug kit ,ect.. in the box on the sportsman.
When i go by myself on my scrambler i don't have a 12v outlet (yet) so i can't bring the comp.
The repair kit i bought at cabelas is small and fits in my day/camel pak.
I was asking how many bottles of air would it take to fill up a flat tire
Thanks for the replys

Rick

Old 10-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CmdrBen, not sure what you meant by bleed the tires and fill with air? CO2 is a big part of the air, oxygen only makes up about 19 - 21 % of what we breathe, the gas in the little cylinders is fine to leave in the tire, it is drier than compressed air, and won't affect anything. If the psi is still a little low, you can top off with air, but don't need to drain and refill.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 95wolv
CmdrBen, not sure what you meant by bleed the tires and fill with air? CO2 is a big part of the air, oxygen only makes up about 19 - 21 % of what we breathe, the gas in the little cylinders is fine to leave in the tire, it is drier than compressed air, and won't affect anything. If the psi is still a little low, you can top off with air, but don't need to drain and refill.
CO2 is a trace gas - our atmosphere is made up of mostly nitrogen - 78%. CO2 and other trace gases make up 1%, oxygen 21%. CO2 is turned from a liquid to a gas by heat. The more heat, the more gas. Tire pressures in an ATV tire would vary substantially with temp if they were filled with CO2. It's a good trail fix, but I wouldn't leave it in there.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

I would just take it to COSTCO and they refill for free with NITROGEN !! The pressure then wouldn't change with temp that much.

Rick 79 nitrogen/20 oxygen/1% mixed by products

Old 10-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

Exactly - nitrogen is the most stable gas (for tire use) - CO2 is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

another option since you use your air pump on your sportsman.....splice into the wire with quick splice connectors and put two spring loaded clip on the ends, that way you have the plugin for the sportsman and you just clip the connectors on the battery for the other....

Old 10-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Scarabrick- try this. i use it on my 250's, works fine. I think its for a car, to let u run a light or pump from the battery if it the wire wouldnt reach from inside or something... i dunno, but for 6 bux its less than the real 12v adapters that mount somewhere in the plastic

Quick Reply: Tires? ( filling with air question)