Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air filters

How many of you refuse to use any but the stock air filter. I was a K&N guy on EVERYTHING I owned, but I have changed. When I started doing research and reading what engine builders had to say, I swithed back to paper filters. I met a local guy who builds very high horsepower boat engines(1000 horsepower), and asked him his thoughts. He was totally against them. He said they let to much dirt through. He did say that if you where to rebuild an engine frequently, then it wouldnt really matter(circle track engines), but if you wanted an engine to last and not have to open it up, he recommends paper. Any thoughts?????

Old 10-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filters

I'd agree in principal. K&N is not all they're cracked up to be from what I've read. I think high density foam works well, like what comes stock on most Japanese ATVs/motorcycles and the UNI/Amsoil 2 stage air filters. But, I think paper will catch more than anything else, that's why they need changed so often.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

I agree, I like the idea of adding more power/better fuel mileage from using filters such as the K&N but when you think about it, a paper filter gets so dirty so quick cause it's catching more dirt/grime. a "performance" filter has larger hole/openings to let more air through but in reallity it is letting more dirt through too. this is why all the "performance" filters have you soaking them in filter cleaning oils so they catch more dirt. I am sticking with a paper filter now that I think about it cause originally I was going to spend the money on a K&N but for what? if I had a sport I would care about the speed but come on it's a utility quad right?

Old 10-31-2004, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

i love my k&n and u have to use a prefilter to keep out the big stuff then the filter takes care of the rest and u have to follow the directions wen u clean it adn i will admit alotta dirt come out wen ur rinsing it

Old 10-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

i dont see how paper could stop as much as foam being foam is full of oil. i talked to rick a couple days ago about whether to stay with my twin air or go to a K&N and he said stay with the TA because paper lets in more air but along with that it also lets in more dirt. im not tryin to tell anyone they are wrong or change anyones preferences but i know what ill be runnin on my machine. and plus all i have to do is reoil instead of buyin a new one.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

Are the foam ones supposed to be better than the K&N???

Old 11-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

well all i really know is what rick told me and he likes the foam better because they stop more dirt. yes the K&N will flow more air but along with that air is dirt and dirt dosnt equal power. clean air equals power! u make your choice.
i know ill be runnin my twin air foam filter until i need a new one and it will be replaced with a twin air.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Air filters

I have been running a K&N on my moded 250 for almost 2yrs now. I tore the motor down over the summer just to do the rings and the cylinder still looked perfect. It even had the cross hatches in the walls. I Also run K&N in all my mud trucks. I have been in a off road club for 15yrs now. I have used K&N since they came out. In any of my engine rebuilds I have never seen a difference in the cylinder walls between a motor that used a stock filter or a K&N filter. I also use a pre filter on everything so that helps. When you put a motor on a dyno you can easily see the power difference between paper filters and K&N. If k&N were so bad then why do MOST race cars, monster trucks, dragsters, just about any competition motors use them.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

im not sayin they are bad. im deffinatly not sayin stockers are better. im just sayin that rick told me that the twin air foam filter stopped more dirt so thats what im gonna run.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air filters

If k&N were so bad then why do MOST race cars, monster trucks, dragsters, just about any competition motors use them.

The above desribed engines get tore down on a regular basis, correct me if I am wrong. Thats what I am asking....if I dont plan on doing any engine work, I think I will stick to paper. If I tore mine down often, it might be different.

Quick Reply: Air filters