Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Metallic Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a SP500 today that was the silver metallic color. Pretty nice looking. It was a 2000 though, because it didn't have the new brake cables or anything else. I also rode an HO model as well. Pretty nice machine, but definitely different feeling than my AC500. I still don't like the lag of the automatic for slow going, but it won't influence me any in trading.

One thing I did notice was that if I put it in low, then it wouldn't go right back into neutral. I had to ride it about 5-10 feet before it would let me get back out of low range. I thought this was supposed to be improved. Pretty crappy for a brand new quad, and more evidence that Polaris still doesn't have all their ducks in a row. I'm still looking to switch quads though, but I don't think I will ever be convinced that Polaris has near as good of build quality as Arctic Cat or any other. I may wait and see if they put out an HO model in the silver metallic. That really is eye catching.

Old 09-02-2000, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

chopperbill said theyre will be a limited number of silver sp500h.o available in october. but u have to order now to get one.

later
jon

Old 09-02-2000, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

andy The tranny needs to break in....they are stiff for a while but they become very smoth after a little use

Its not Polaris quality problem

Chris

Old 09-03-2000, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

clindst is telling you right on this one Andy the linkage is kinda stiff for about the first 200 miles and then it smoothes out. It is also very easy to adjust if it is out of adjustment but Polaris does need to look to making this an eletronic feature like the 2 to 4 wheel drive is designed in the future...

Old 09-03-2000, 02:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I noticed it right off the bat, but again, like you said, its not a hard thing to adjust. Like a lot of things that are blown out of proportion here, its nothing big that would bring down my opinion of the quad.

Have you ever noticed how the slightest problem on a quad can turn into ammunition for somebody to use when comparing two different models? Its like "the linkage can go out of adjustment on the Sportsman real easy, it sucks!" Wow. Like that is going to really kill you. That or the battery drain on a 450 honda because of the speedometer. Like that is a real problem. Hell, just pull start it that day and fix it later. Another is AC body roll. Somebody wrote that in an article and now you hear people bitch about it all the time. I don't even notice it myself, and I've had mine for two years and rode it in every manner possible. A lot of fast dirt road riding included.

Others include rocker shifter sucks, reverse override button is a pain, polaris engines are made in Japan, have to push the footbrake to get it into reverse (grizzly), all three lights don't come on at once, doesn't come with front rack extension, and other measly stuff like that.

I'm still getting the sportsman sooner or later despite that. I've considered this 2 times since getting my AC (not because I didn't like the AC) and once before I bought it. I never could do it before, but this time I'm serious. I think by now, I know of everything that might go wrong on a sportsman, and every downside that it may have compared to my AC, and I think I can live with it. I still don't like the auto tranny, but I think I can live with it too.

Old 09-03-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

andy,i havent read all your posts but i know your looking into polaris..just a thought if you dont like the auto on the sp and dont relly care if its straight axle,maybe you might want to consider an expedition 425? very nice quad.i had magnum and got away from it because of the auto,i didnt care for it..just a thought,good luck with whatevr you get as they all ahve pros and cons

Old 09-04-2000, 12:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Having owned 3 straight axle quads and then the Ac 500 with the semi independant swingaxle, I will have nothing less. Only the IRS of the Sportsman over what I already have. The 425 is a great quad, but not for me. I'll just have to live with the automatic. Too bad Polaris wouldn't put a 5speed in a Sportsman. It would sell a lot.

Old 09-08-2000, 01:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wish I had some kind of confirmation on a metallic colored HO. The dealers around here don't know diddly about anything. I wouldn't dare drop a 700sp question around them for fear of being laughed out of the building. When is Polaris going to update their damn website?

I haven't seen anything about a winch promo either, but I did call both prospective dealers today and I can get a winch as long as I buy one before the end of the month. If I haven't sold mine by then, I probably will have to consider trade options. Even if I lose a few hundred in the trade, it still would add up to the cost of a winch package. I'd rather not have to do that. I will also settle for a green 500 if no word arises on a metallic.

Old 09-08-2000, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Well, one thing to consider, is new plastic. Buy your SP, then buy the Magnum silver plastic to put on it. Heck, after spending 6000+ dollars on the quad, what is another 200 for silver plastic. Just a thought for you if they don't offer the silver near you.

Some dealers will have their own special offers. There is a dealer near me that will throw a winch in for free on any 4x4 model except the 250 Xplorer. This is a dealer promo and runs through April.

Old 09-08-2000, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

heck andy my dealer here hasnt gotten any green HO's in yet.but i havent sold my 99 yet either.im not real crazy about the silver plastic,just my opinion.i hunt alot so it wouldnt blend in to well.

Quick Reply: Metallic Sportsman