Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

Never flipped it over but I did find out they will stand on their tail. I climbed up a steep ridge and when I got to the flat top it just stayed vertical. I reached up to keep it from falling on me but it never came over.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

I've done that a few times....stopped it from going over quite a few times, jumping off because I thought it was going over....

Old 11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I did try that. I think it came up so unexpectedly and I was already standing up leaning over the bars and windshield so I didn't have any chance to bail. I did however get far enough away to make sure I was in the ideal position to have the whole 697lbs of wheeler do a straight up stand on my chest to ensure minimal damage to the machine. I on the other hand didn't fair as well. Live and Learn is what life is about. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger I guess.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I flipped mine about 2 years ago for Thanksgiving.I was racing my buddy on his raptor.We were wide open and i hit a pretty bad wash out,i tried to get off but the bike drove me into the ground instead.The bike flipped a couple times and ended up back on the wheels.The bike just had a bent steering stem and a little cosmetic damage.I ended up with a collar bone broken in 3 places ,that came out of the skin.A severely bruised hip and pride.Slept in the recliner for a month ,and got some good drugs.Now when i plan on racing i make sure i ride the area where i am going to race before i line up.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:50 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

I havent flipped mine (i've come close) but I did flip my wifes Scambler at Buttercup. The sliding 180 didnt work too good in the sand.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

I think my scrammy has probably spent more time rubber side up than down. So far the casualties include: a radiator, throttle assembly, 2 headlights, 2 front wheels, 2 control arms, 1 rear wheel, handlebars, steering stem, tie rods, upper strut mounts on frame (straightened by a truck and a tree), and the left cv joint. The plastics as you can imagine look like hell. Surprisingly, the tires are all original and no punctures, the seat is perfect, and as of yet I have only recieved a couple of minor scrapes.

Probably the best crash was a 35-40mph wheelie that turned into a cartwheel when I let it get up too high and dug the grab bar in. I bailed and turned to see it cartwheel 2 or 3 times befor coming to rest upside down. This resulted in the aforementioned truck and tree frame straightening.

The thing I find most amazing is that the master cylinder hasn't broke of yet. probably just jinxed myself though.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

my buddy just got rear ended by another 4 wheeler on the road.. he rides a Z400 and he was going about 60 mph and got hit from the back, his quad slid out sideways and he went right over and over and over on the road.. over 2000 bucks in damage and all that happened to him was a sore back and hands and a broken helmet... lucky guy

Always wear your helmets guys cuz if he wouldnt have been wearing it he wouldnt be here today

Old 11-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Back in 2001 my buddy bought a brand new Grizzly. It maybe had 60 miles on it. He put some really aggresive tires on it that seemed to grab on to things like the side of the mountain. He was being a hotshot trying to stay way ahead of us on a real hairy trail. It was a trail that was cut into the side of a mountain. Your 4 wheeler didnt have much room on either side, He was so far ahead that when I caught up to him his new Grizz was way down off this edge upside down in a whole bunch of trees, thank goodness for the trees or it would have been way way down there.

So there he is all dirty head to tow and standing there pointing down at it. After gathering his bearing we get it back on all for and point it up to the trail. IT WAS STEEP. The handle bars were bent way down and lots and lots of damage,but it started. I couldnt believe it. So off he goes. Instead of taking it kind of easy, he guns it and get about half way up to the trail and endos it again on top of him self. It came crashing end over end toward me like 7 times. Dont worry I barely got out of the way. This time it way really mangled and we had to saw a bunch of trees down. We had another friend show up and him and i had to side hill it up and out of there.

It was amazing

Old 11-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Helmet? Whats that? To tell you the truth, I have one, but i've never used it when riding my 700 EFI. The Sportsman isn't a sport machine, therefore I don't wear the helmet....except coming up soon, if I ride this weekend, cause its cold outside, was 27 the other morning.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Back about a hundred years ago (jk) in 1983 I had a Honda 110 3-wheeler. I flipped it every time I went down a steep hill. It only had back brakes, which made traversing declines very difficult. Once it started sliding, the only thing left to do was hold on for dear life or bail off. Either way, you hoped you didn’t hit a tree.
Then there was the 198? 250 Honda Odyssey. It was a 2-stroke with zero suspension in the rear. I flipped it end over end jumping hills. I broke the rear axle, bent the roll cage in 4 places, tore off the exhaust, blew out 2 tires and I walked away with only a scratch on my left leg. All I can say is, thank God for the harness and helmet. What a ride!!!

Quick Reply: Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?