Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

How did you do it?

I flipped my old Honda 300 fourtrax. Just trying to climb something too steep. Only broke the levers, put a few scratches on the plastic.

I guy I know was taking his 4-wheeler back in the woods to get his elk that he shot. When he got there, a Bear sow and cubs were snacking on his elk. He yelled, shouted, threw rocks, etc. and couldn't get them bears off the elk. Finally with enough persistance, he got the bears to leave. Being in a hurry, he chopped the elk in half, front half of the elk on the front rack, rear half on the rear rack. When he was trying to climb back up, the 4-wheeler flipped and landed right on him. I have never seen anyone so bruised in my entire life. His one side of his body was completey black, blue and red from his ribs all the way down to his knee.....Again, worst bruising I have ever seen...ouch.

This year when I got my elk out, I quartered it, but I had to get my 700 to it. It was dark outside, I had no idea how to get up the 1/2 mile to the elk. I made my way up in 4-low, bounced the front end up twice, had to left off the gas, back down and take a different route after my heart rate dropped below 200.

dave

Old 11-04-2004, 02:26 AM
pid
Trailblazer

never flipped mine, but my buddy flipped his explorer once. funniest thing i've ever seen on a quad, he was trying to climb this small embankment on the side of a river, not 8 feet tall, but the river had eroded it at the base when it was high. he tried a couple of times wearing the mound in the middle down then goosed it once to hop over and the quad stood straight up, he fell off the back onto the ground with an astonished look on his face while the quad just teetered on its two backs wheels, he scrambled out of the way and the quad finally fell flat on its back. no one hurt an the explorere only bent the handle bars. anyways, thats my only flipping story

pid

Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flipped one going up a hill on a sp500, just ran out of traction and backwards I went.

Flipped a prairie 700 climbing a very steep trail and trying to get over a large root. Rolled right back over top of me.

Flipped more sport quads than I care to remember, and more ways than I can. The last one I was hill shooting and a dirtbike got too close and got wrapped up between my tires. Nerf bars saved my leg and a lot more. Rolled at 20mph and ended up just rotating the bars down along with the levers, nothing bent or broken.

Only had one trip to the hospital from an atv, but that was from a bad jump and not rolling.

A relative's friend was over the other week and went out on the sp500. Crashed it, rolled it, and destroyed the front end, didnt bother to tell anyone. Just said, "nice place" and then left. 600 bucks in parts...

Old 11-04-2004, 03:28 AM
Range Rover

Was "coaching" my fiance down and up a narrow crick bed early last spring, she was on her dad's 2 stroke Explorer and myself on my Prairie 700 and my brother on his Magnum. I went first and made it look fairly easy down and up the muddy crossing, there was about 8 to 10 inches of water depth in the crick. I took off my helmet and walked back to "coach" my fiance through it. While I was taking my helmet off my fiance was telling my brother she did not want to do it, he says to her you can do it! I did not hear any of this of course cause I would have done it myself. So, I started to tell her to inch slowly down and then I said I would tell her when to hit the throttle on the way up. In my mind I thought she knew what I meant by hitting the throttle, which was simply keeping her momentum going so she would not slide back down. I should never have assumed, we all know what it means when we *** u me. She thought I meant floor it, so she did and I stood in horror as the wheeler bounced back on it's rear wheels and seemed to be in slow motion as it came crashing down on her as she went under water underneath the wheeler. I immediately jumped in and flipped the wheeler off of her. Aside from being wet and muddy and later sore all over with bruises and such it was a miracle she was not more seriously hurt. The wheeler had a broken brake lever and bent handle bars and cracked racks. This was my first ride with her and she looked more experienced than she was, I mean with all the gear she had on I almost forgot it was a girl with us. Now she rides almost everywhere we go but it took awhile for her to try that same spot again on her own. Now it is easy for her.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:08 AM
Pro Rider

My buddy flipped my 700 on a half bowl and had it about 8 ft in the air. It came out of it with flying colors with only the handlebars bent back and a small crack in the rear rack. I took it to the dealer for an inspection, alignment and to reposition the handlebars but they said it was ok (alignment).

Also set it over doing 360's not a good idea on a utility with good grip.

The Scrammys been over doing the same without any damage but pushing the handguards back.

Oh yea and I flipped my same buddies Griz too, i went over the handlebars off a dropoff, scarry!

Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

doesnt it seem weird how all the 700s tend to flip going up hills? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
LOL

Old 11-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Long time ago I was out on a old I think Yamaha 3-wheeler. My friend had a new Honda 200x 3-wheeler. We were riding some trails by the house when I lived in Wisconsin. The trail split and I thought I would cut the corner and try to get ahead of him, only problem was, there was a stump in the grass on the corner....all i know is that I was doing forward flips and so was the 3-wheeler....bent axle, bent frame, broken handlebars...etc., etc....trashed...

Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Was more of a cartwheel than a flip. Was going downhill to a river bed, fairly steep, and didn't see it had washed out on the right side. Right front wheel went down, left rear came up. I think it was a combination of me trying to get off and just being tossed to the side that kept me from getting hurt. The Trail boss, however, continued on down in a cartwheel, hitting right front, left front, left rear and right rear tires, and came to rest right side up as if nothing had happened. Only damage was to one of the new driving lights I had just put on and the handle bars bent back. We just pulled the bars back in place and let the light dangle the rest of the weekend.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I hit a 2 1/2 foot deep, 3 foot wide trench running wide open on my 700 EFI, it threw me about 20 feet through the air and the quad flipped a few times, totalling it. the week before I had flipped it going down a steep hill and dropping off a tree root system. the prob was I had it in low and it just went over forward. If I would have put it in high gear it could have rolled faster and wouldn't have flipped.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's shamefull but I rolled my sp600 over a year ago. I was on a sidehill (40% grade) following a singletrack road (deer trail) and as my front uphill tire crawled over a bush gravity took over and my quad decided to roll side over side down the hill. Luckily I jumped off and the only thing I hurt, besides my pride, was my @ss as I hit the ground. It tumbled about 300 feet down the hill and had enough velocity that it would do several flips in the air before bouncing again. Nevertheless, when I got back down to my quad and put it back on its wheels it fired right up. But with all the damage I couldn't limp it back to home, we had to trailer it. Thank God for insurance though! 2 weeks later I got a new quad and now stay away from singletracks!

Quick Reply: Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?