Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My CHAIN SNAPPED:(

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CHAIN SNAPPED:(

Make sure the chain is running true on the sprockets.Like said before you could have a swingarm or rear axle bearing problem.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you ever lubricate your chain? I lube my chain before every ride.
If you ride an alot of mud & water you should make sure your chain is well lubricated.
If your chain was put on improperly with the master link facing the wrong direction and the chain is rubbing on something
it may have popped the master link off.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ftwflh
Make sure the chain is running true on the sprockets.Like said before you could have a swingarm or rear axle bearing problem.
no that couldnt be it i have never snapped a chain and ive had bearing problems monthly.

u just got bad luck get another chain put it on and make sure everything looks ok....do u jump this quad??? cuz that will eventually break the links if u dont have a chain tensor

Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

I don't jump it. I did go sideway a couple times that run, but I don't think 2 times would make a chain fail. I'll check the barings pretty soon.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

probably just a bad chain just replace it

Old 11-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
Originally posted by: ftwflh
no that couldnt be it i have never snapped a chain and ive had bearing problems monthly.

u just got bad luck get another chain put it on and make sure everything looks ok....do u jump this quad??? cuz that will eventually break the links if u dont have a chain tensor
I have been around A lot longer than you have and bad axle or swingarm bearings CAN throw your chain in a bind that WILL snap it

Old 11-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevebuick23
What I don't understand is that the chain is nearly brand new (1-2 months old)
A new chain will stretch quickly in the first few hours of riding and then will be fairly stable. The initial stretch will be worse if sprockets were not replaced. My guess is that the initial stretch caused the chain to be too loose. A loose chain can come off and then jam up and break. You need to check and lube a new chain regularly and keep it adjusted. New sprockets should always be installed with new chain. Never buy cheap non O-ring chain.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Stevebuick23, All good info. so far. I have nothing to add except I like your pic's. Your quad looks allot like my 03 Trail Boss. I bet yours goes quicker because it's a 2 stroke. Nice quad. You seem like a good young man and I wish you luck. Check it all out close like they say and get a new and good chain. By the way, did you call the dealer who put it on? What was wrong with the old chain?

Old 11-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Almost looks like my chain after I hit a rock. Check the front sprocket for missing teeth. My chain took three teeth with it. Hope you get it back running soon.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Lukester
Stevebuick23, All good info. so far. I have nothing to add except I like your pic's. Your quad looks allot like my 03 Trail Boss. I bet yours goes quicker because it's a 2 stroke. Nice quad. You seem like a good young man and I wish you luck. Check it all out close like they say and get a new and good chain. By the way, did you call the dealer who put it on? What was wrong with the old chain?
I really appreciate that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . I got some good pictures that day, it was pretty fun. I somehow doubt it would be any faster than your trailerboss though.

Also, tomorrow, my dad and I are going to mock up a chain with a couple new links just for the next couple days. I'll purchase a new chain next year. Also, the dealer said they think its just jumpin, but I've never jumped the quad.

Quick Reply: My CHAIN SNAPPED:(