Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

50 dollar winch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 dollar winch

You can make anything fit on the polaris, just takes a little fabrication.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 50 dollar winch

This is very true. No one makes a winch mount for a 330 Trailboss except 1 company and they only make it on an as needed basis. It took 3 weeks to get it but it looks great and bolts right to my front bumper.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default 50 dollar winch

ttaylor, thats the same situation i'm in, only going to use it once in a while. As for mounting it i bought a plate that fits in the bumper cavity off ebay for 40 bucks. hopefully i'll only have to drill a few holes and bolt on the winch. UPS should be delivering these items in a few days so i'll install it asap.

2manytoys, thats an interesting fact about the $250 superwinch being the same one in Harbor Freight.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

Thats who makes them for superwinch.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

Originally posted by: Ridinghard
You can make anything fit on the polaris, just takes a little fabrication.
Although I fabbed a bumper/winch mount, the previous owner had mounted his winch by simply drilling a couple holes through the frame tubes below the bumper (on either side of the radiator screen), bolted 1 1/2" angles to the frame and bolted his winch to the angles. That worked for him.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

From what I gather here is that the $50 winch can pull quads out that are not extremely stuck. I think for my needs the $50 winch will probably work. Of not I guess it can be back to pushing and pulling. Like I said I don't live in the south and I spend very little time in the soupy mud. It's just the early spring and late fall riding I run into the mud hole or snow drift. It is only these times that I have needed a winch. I also would like to drag an elk out once in a while too. I'll check ebay for that winch mounting plate too.

Another thought is that you can buy the rocker switch from warn that is designed for the handle bars. I was wondering if this swithc would work?

Old 11-21-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

there are two different 50$ winches at harbor freight. one is a .85 h.p. motor and the other one is 1.5 h.p. which one is the one people have bought and used? looks like they are pretty much the same except for the h.p. ratings. item 91727 and item 90282.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

I've got the 90282. I just looked on the website and since they both have the same gear ratio and same line speed, it seems unlikely that one is really almost twice the hp of the other. If one had twice the power and the same gear reduction, it should be able to pull twice the load but they are rated the same. Who knows?!? I still say for 50 bucks, you can't go wrong. If you've got the coin, get a Warn. If not, this is better than carrying a come-a-long with you.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

Originally posted by: ttaylor
From what I gather here is that the $50 winch can pull quads out that are not extremely stuck. I think for my needs the $50 winch will probably work. Of not I guess it can be back to pushing and pulling. Like I said I don't live in the south and I spend very little time in the soupy mud. It's just the early spring and late fall riding I run into the mud hole or snow drift. It is only these times that I have needed a winch. I also would like to drag an elk out once in a while too. I'll check ebay for that winch mounting plate too.

Another thought is that you can buy the rocker switch from warn that is designed for the handle bars. I was wondering if this swithc would work?
Plan on fabricating anyway. I bought the cheap winch and the winch plate I bought won't work.
In my case the cheap winch is opposite the WARN winch so if you bolt it on the opening is on the wrong side! It didn't take much to make mine work, a little cutting and welding, then some black paint. It looks and works as good as new.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 50 dollar winch

You can make the cable come out of either side. All you have to do is unwind the cable and flip the cable end to the other side of the hole. Then it will be on the same side of the warns. Then all you have to do is drill the holes in the right spot. The winch works either way with motor on the right side or left. Dependind on how you wind the cable.

ttaylor,
I have been able to pull out 700sp's that were really stuck. With any winch 2k lbs is 2klbs. Because it says 2klbs does not mean it will only do 1klbs. It just gets slower with more load but will always pull the max rating. The stall load is the absolute max that it will pull and the stall rng is always higher than max pull strength. I think the stall rating on this winch is 2350lbs. Like I said I was able to pull 2 dead quads out of the water at the same time and had no problem.

Quick Reply: 50 dollar winch