Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought Roller Clutch. What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought Roller Clutch. What to expect?

Hey guys,

I just bought a Team Rapid Reaction roller clutch. it's in the process of being mailed to my home now... i was wonderring what i should expect as far as what it will do for my machine. I have heard everything from acceleration to downshifting, grabbing a few MPH, extremely snappy throttle response. What i'm really after is the throttle response like a manula clutch, i know with a belt that can't be done, but is it closer than a normal polaris model?

ALSO: it was set up for a 400 2 stroke 4X4. does this mean i'm going to have to change springs likely or are the two applications quite similar? thanks a lot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

I just called the people at Team, they said that the helix is 2 degrees to steep on one end and substancially so on the other... what does this mean for my performance? also they said i need a stiffer spring. I've tuned primarys quite a bit... but i've never EVER touched a secondary so what does this mean for me? is it not a big deal or do i need to change these parts?

Old 11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

didnt you just win it on ebay? i think i was bidding against you for that same clutch!!! i quit at 150.

i would just say throw it on a see what happens. if you like the performance gain, that stay with what it came with. if not then look into swappin springs.

hope it works out for you!! let us know how it goes.

oh, post some pics of your ride too!!

X

Old 11-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same clutch in my 500 and it works great.But it will work best with a differant pipe/muffler.You will notice very quick backshifts almost like EBS along with a smoother shift out.What primary spring are you running?I tried a polaris white,a green and ended up with a yellow.Both the other springs worked ok but couldnt get the RPMs up in the motor to where I wanted.Dont expect much more on the topend because of the way it is geared but it will improve on the bottom and throttle response.By the way you payed the going price for a used one.I got mine for $100 plus another secondary to replace it.You will like it.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i will post some pics, btw, how did you get a 4x4 X? did you start w/ a 2x4 X or a normal 4x4 and put x bodywork on it? either way it looks gorgeous! pics to come after i get everything installed. also, how bad is it going to be trying to change the spring (i just orderred one) in the roller without the spring compressor from Team ind.? thanks again!

Old 11-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

well it is an actual 4x4 X model. from what i hear , they are really hard to come by. i have never seen another one.

the guy i bought it from put the black plastics on it. he said originally it was red. i guess it was a promotional model? i dunno fer sure.

X

Old 11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps it began life as one of those mysterious yellow scrambler 500 4x4s. dunno if anyone remembers those. they were a 4x4 which was yellow w/ a black hood, and no one knew why, but they were faster. Polaris never called them "X" models. the only 4x4 X was a 400 2-stroke. it was blue and yellow. at any rate, not sure what precisely you're riding but it's gorgeous just like mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] actually a little sweeter cause of the chrome wheels. oh well, whatever the origins of this machine, it looks like it'll do a job. and that's what matters! Whatever you ride, ride hard!

Old 11-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

thanks alot man!