Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy

i know a guy that has a predator 500 with the close gear ratio and he has a few mods and it will put a raptor to shame. my 450R eats raptors too. i know the highly modded raptors are fast but id expect A LOT more being its about 200 cc bigger than all the other quads that still beat it.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

We knew about that when the preddy came out in 03--- I was eating raptors up.. The only thing i got beat by was a 2004 ds 650 with a turbo on it at the drags last year.. Thing walked right by me

Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

That is the first time I have heard of that and I think that is incorrect. It had to do with the engagement dogs on the gears going from 3 on the 01 model to 4 on the 02 model..
I understand it's two different things. 1st, the 01 Raptor trannys were junk period. So any tranny problem is due to poor Yamaha engineering.

2nd, The burnt clutch happens because you are basically trying to use 2nd gear to start from a dead stop. Just think how you use reverse... Maybe in a tight turn around? In the same situation but going forward you would use 1st right? Think of trying to start in 2nd in a tight spot. All that feathering that clutch eventually burns it up.

The 01 Raptor had strange setups like that. Yamaha really shafted the customer by rushing that quad to production.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I reached 70 in less than a 1/2 mile. How far did it take them racing the pred and raptor?

Old 11-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridinghard
I reached 70 in less than a 1/2 mile. How far did it take them racing the pred and raptor?

well on my pred i reach upper 60's in 300ft....

Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

its really funny how all the guys in the yamaha forum think the raptor is the greatest quad ever built and everything else is junk. sometimes its almost too funny. btw im not saying the raptor is a bad machine, i just dont like the guys that say its the best and all other quads are junk.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Guess I'm lucky. Haven't had a predator put me to shame yet.. Owell. On with your yamaha bashing... I swear, you guys sound like fast and furious civic drivers..

Old 11-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 01ds650
That is the first time I have heard of that and I think that is incorrect. It had to do with the engagement dogs on the gears going from 3 on the 01 model to 4 on the 02 model..
I understand it's two different things. 1st, the 01 Raptor trannys were junk period. So any tranny problem is due to poor Yamaha engineering.

2nd, The burnt clutch happens because you are basically trying to use 2nd gear to start from a dead stop. Just think how you use reverse... Maybe in a tight turn around? In the same situation but going forward you would use 1st right? Think of trying to start in 2nd in a tight spot. All that feathering that clutch eventually burns it up.

The 01 Raptor had strange setups like that. Yamaha really shafted the customer by rushing that quad to production.
First, the 01 trans is not junk, its mostly just a shift fork issue.

Second, if you burn the clutch out trying to use reverse its a user error, not yamaha's. While the gearing is overly high, unless you ride in reverse all of the time you arent putting a great deal of stress on the clutch. There is not and has never been an issue with the raptor clutch. It's weaknesses are only a result of a 660cc engine and the wear associated with riding a sport quad of that magnitude.

Your information is misguided and does not appear first hand, but you are correct in saying that Yamaha dropped the ball when it came to owning up to the trans issue.

BTW, if you remove the reverse rev limiter on the raptor then I think the reverse race would be a lot more interesting. Also, its much easier to use reverse with it removed.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

There is not and has never been an issue with the raptor clutch. It's weaknesses are only a result of a 660cc engine and the wear associated with riding a sport quad of that magnitude.
That might be the case if the Raptor were using the Rotax motor that mine does.... The fact that you make it sound overpowered is bull. My DS doesn't burn clutches, it does however burn Raptors.

It's all about the gearing. In trail riding a guy can get into tight situations. Say you need reverse at the bottom of incline to "unstuck" yourself. Now imagine turning the quad exactly 180°, would you climb that in hill from a dead stop in 1st or 2nd? Trying to start from an incline in 2nd is hard on a clutch & that is exactly what the 01 Raptor does. It's Yamahas poor design. The DS debuted in 2000 & beat anything Yamaha offered, Yamaha was so hurried to get the speed title back they rushed a junk quad into production. The new Raptors are improved, and they are what they are which is no DS.

There is not and has never been an issue with the raptor clutch. It's weaknesses are only a result of a 660cc engine and the wear associated with riding a sport quad of that magnitude.
That quote just kills me....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

hahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy