Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy

Originally posted by: 01ds650

There is not and has never been an issue with the raptor clutch. It's weaknesses are only a result of a 660cc engine and the wear associated with riding a sport quad of that magnitude.
That quote just kills me....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
The point was that the clutch had not been beefed up to accomodate the added power of the 660 compared to say a 350, not that the 660 had so much power it was destroying clutches designed for it.

Good job of misinterpreting my post, I can see you are trying hard to jump to conclusions.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second, if you burn the clutch out trying to use reverse its a user error, not yamaha's

The point was that the clutch had not been beefed up to accomodate the added power of the 660 compared to say a 350, not that the 660 had so much power it was destroying clutches designed for it.
OK, which is it? userr error as you first suggested, or a FAULTY clutch design by Yamaha (using a 350 clutch for a 660) as you now suggest?

Yamahas R&D makes early 90's Polaris quads look like Hondas. I'd place Yamaha reliability right above those Chinese quads Walmart sells.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Who cares??? All this was about is who wants to know if a pred will beat a rappy.........I already knew that anyway.........lol...........

Old 11-30-2004, 07:40 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I guess your 01 'Bomb DS-650 has been all trouble free like my 01 raptor.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Yamahas R&D makes early 90's Polaris quads look like Hondas. I'd place Yamaha reliability right above those Chinese quads Walmart sells.
LOL!!!!!..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Raptory........you have a crap load of posts...........I noticed that the other day........but congrats on 10k

Old 11-30-2004, 07:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Raptory........you have a crap load of posts...........I noticed that the other day........but congrats on 10k
It's from all of the posts where I have to defend my poor old 01 raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

I'm with you raptory no problems here with my 01 raptor and still never lost to a polaris

Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second, if you burn the clutch out trying to use reverse its a user error, not yamaha's

OK, which is it? userr error as you first suggested, or a FAULTY clutch design by Yamaha (using a 350 clutch for a 660) as you now suggest?

How many yamahas have you owned?

I stated that the clutch is fine for the bike, and it is. But it does need to be replaced after a couple years of hard riding which seems to be more than other bikes I've owned. I maintain that if you are burning the clutch up by using reverse then you need to take more care. The clutch is not the problem, the high reverse gear is.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I guess your 01 'Bomb DS-650 has been all trouble free like my 01 raptor.
Yes it's been wonderful, with the exception of me not checking the bearings after 100 hours & continuing to ride an extra year or two on them before investigating them, yep they needed replaced in Sept04. Sand & water from April of 2001, they finally went. Hmm... what else.... oh yeah the oil is kinda pricey. Plus that 93 Octane gas is like $1.90 a gal. I do have my complaints about the DS.

How many yamahas have you owned?
None. I was going to buy a Yamaha 660 instead of my DS. All the rags loved it. But I did have a Polaris Scrambler 400 prior to my DS & could not imagine trading down to a Yamaha after owning a fine Polaris. Fact was, I didn't have much of a desire to work on things after the trusty reliability of my Polaris spoiled me. I really didn't want to spend 1/2 my time fixing a Raptor and/or waiting on transmissons, clutches, axles, carb boots, etc. When I could spend 99% of my time riding a Honda, Polaris or my DS.

The Yamaha is a fine quad for anyone who has low expectations on build quality, reliability and dealer support.

Tell you a funny story....
My two friends (yes I do have some) & I go riding. We meet a couple of guys my one friend knows. They both ride Raptors, I mean craptors, no no Raptors it was. Anyway the one guy out of no where asks to race my friends Scrambler 500. Kind of like taking candy from a baby really. The 660 easily wins. He then tells my friend what a piece of junk the Polaris was, why did he buy THAT. etc etc. So he asked to race me. Well the DS is no baby....more of a toddler really.... So after I win (arms raised in victory) he (less than 2 minutes after making fun of my friend) tells me how I won because his Yamaha needs a new clutch & 3rd gear is going out & that's why I won.
I swear Raptors owners must be Cryami Hurricane fans too.
My friend wasn't bummed though, if he wanted to beat Raptors he could always trade in his Scrambler on a Predator.

Quick Reply: To all those preddy riders that want to know if it beats a rappy