Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp500 HO Sagging Front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sp500 HO Sagging Front end

First off want to say what a great site this is. About 3 weeks ago picked up my first polaris 04.5 500 HO. One of the reason that I got it was to use it for snow removal. Just installed the 56" Glacier plow system looks great but boy does it really sink the front end. So what to do been looking at previous post and have a few ideas. Need help deciding what is best for me. Looks like I could change the front springs not sure how much that would cost. Another would be to add coil spring spacer for 15.99 a pair. Or just add a spacer to the bottom of the coil to gain some more clearence for a few $. The coils spacer looks the easiest but will that raise the front end any when the plow isn't on. Seems like the front end normal sits a little low would be nice to gain some height there as well. We do a little trail ride but nothing hard core don't have much where we live. Use it probably as much in the yard giving the kids a ride or just messing around on flat ground. Thanks

Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 AM
rdg
Weekend Warrior

hello:

i also have the same atv as you, but i have the warn plow system (i can put the plow/push bars on my other atv). i went with 2 coil spring spacers on each front coil. with the winch (3.0ci) and plow, 1 was just not enough. without the plow and with the spacers, i have no complaints on the ride. i actually like it better as it used to bottom out on dips and such.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Have you checked your tire pressure? Mine sags some but not significantly. I usually max the tire pressure on the front to aid in this rather then buy spacers. I may try spacers some day but hey, I'm a cheap a**.....

Old 11-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

RDG
How hard is it to put them in?

Jwyles
Did check the pressure running 6 psi in the front.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

the other thing you may want to look at is getting 700 springs to put in the front they are from what I've read the best choice. I have the same problem except it is with my 700EFI and I cant just put 700 springs in cause it's already a 700. the person to talk to on this would be moosehunter, he seems to do alot of research with lifts and larger wheel/tire combos. you can do a search for springs and will see his posts or go into gallery and find his name and pics. if you decide to get the rubber spring lift spacers let me know how they go in and if they seemed to help with your front end problems.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:14 PM
rdg
Weekend Warrior

they are real easy to put in. they insert in-between the coils. they have a slit in them so they can be "wound" into the coils. you don't even have to use a jack, although, i did just to open up the coils a little. i have one each at the top of the coil and the bottom.

as for tire pressure, i have them set at 5psi front (.5 over recommended) and 3.75psi rear. the tires don't bulge at all.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the rubber spacers for about $15 and put them in. Work with or without plow. I wanted to do a little more adjusting / tuning so I ended up spending $160 for the progressive suspension springs / adjustors. The rubber spacers will work fine. The progressive suspension takes quite a bit more to install but you may find it worth while.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys I have an "02" 500 HO ,I have Polaris 60" plow on it,A Warn 2.5 winch and a tube bumper ,It was pretty weak in the front with all this weight on it ,I bought some springs from a 700 and it made a BIG difference,not only with the plow but it also handles better when trail riding ,,Not near as much nose diving when coming in to a corner hard , I also read on other posts that some guys even went with Ranger front springs for even more lift and resistence to sagging ,,Hope this helps a little ,,Have a nice day

Old 11-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went with the 700 springs. I have a 04.5 sp 500 by the way. It is much better than the stock 500 springs. The dealer has a book that even says that you should upgrade to the 700 springs if you have a winch mounted. If I had a plow and a winch like you, I would add the spring spacers along with the 700 springs.
happy trails!
east TN. trail junkie

Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replys. It looks like the best thing to do is add 700 springs. Anybody got an idea how much they cost and do you have to get them from a dealer?

Quick Reply: Sp500 HO Sagging Front end