Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got the plow today, terrible packaging....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004 | 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Default Got the plow today, terrible packaging....

I have the Glacier plow too. I have a 60" blade with an 8" tall stainless steel foil on top. Used it all last winter to plow my 800' driveway with my 04 600. Worked awesome. I'm in the process right now of switching the brackets over to my new 05 700 EFI, I'm told everything will bolt right on. I also had put 2 spacers in each front spring on the 600, and that really helped with the front end sag. I have heard, however, that the springs on the 05s are different, and there isn't yet a spacer that fits the new springs. Because these springs seem even softer than last year's, I'm kinda worried about the sag when I do get the plow on the new machine. Dave, are you sure the spacers you got from Polaris will fit your 05's springs? Also, I see on the Polaris website that they now offer a special blade edge that's supposed to be easier on gravel driveways (which mine is). Anyone have any experience with this new edge?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-03-2004 | 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

800 foot driveway. Wow. Based on your experience with the 60" blade, do you find that the sportsman with the 60" can push a big load of snow well enough or do you recommend people stick with the 48". What I'm picturing is that the snow could be very heavy and any quad could lose traction since it's on a slick surface.

I've never plowed so I don't really know the factors. When I get my sportsman I will get a plow though, so I'm curious. Thanks for the education.

Have a nice weekend.

Old 12-03-2004 | 04:31 PM
Range Rover

I was incredibly surprised at how well that thing plowed snow! Some of my friends said I was crazy to bother plowing that driveway with an ATV, but my wife got rid of her SUV and got a Volvo, so mornings after a storm I can't wait for the guy with the plow truck to show up, so I figured this was my cheapest solution. We had a few storms last year with a foot or more of heavy wet snow, and not only did my 600 with the 60" plow do the job, it did a great job! Ya, there were a couple times when I'd get a big pile goin in front of me, and I'd have to back off and start again, but for the most part it was almost effortless. I was actually able to push up bankings that were 8 to 10 feet tall. Just kept pushing the snow right up and over. It was kinda fun, actually. You gotta remember, these are big heavy powerful machines, and apparently they can push their weight in snow and then some. My 600 also has 26" 589s on it, and those things reaelly dig. I'm anxious to see how well the new 700 does this year, as it already seems to have way more power than the 600, plus it came with the radial tires which they say are very good in the snow. The foil that I made and bolted to the top of the blade helps alot, too. Keeps the snow from blowin over the top and into my face. That's the other thing, once you get a little speed goin with the blade angled, you can really throw the snow off to the side as you go.

hey, think snow, and you have a nice weekend too!

-Steve

Old 12-03-2004 | 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the detailed response. I sent you a PM