Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lock N' Ride hand guards are a joke

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock N' Ride hand guards are a joke

I purchased the Lock N' Ride hand guards a couple months ago and have posted on this previously on someone elses topic but I have new info. I purchased the guards from my local dealer which gave them to me at cost of $25 a set but I wanted them mainly cause they looked better than the old style polaris guards and were cheaper in price. the item description on pure polaris states that the lock n' ride guards attach and detach in 15 seconds for a no hassle accessory installation. what a joke cause it took me about 20 minutes to install just one set on my quad and it took a handfull of tools in one hand and a handfull of nuts/bolts in the other. the guards don't snap on or off or clip on like the lock n' ride windshield so I didn't understand how the guards can be lock n' ride if it doesn't work like the other lock n' ride items. I called pure polaris and polaris industries and they basically told me that they have not heard anything on this issue yet but would make a note of it, they said there was nothing they could do for me and that I should talk to my dealer that sold them to me.

Don't get me wrong with my complaining cause the hand guards do work great and look good too. they keep the rain, snow, ice, branches off your hands which is the purpose right? I am just disappointed cause they are not a true lock n' ride item. I will try to take some pics of the guards so that everyone can see how they attach to the quad in case anyone is looking at getting them, the picture on pure polaris shows the front of the guard but not the rear or mounting.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

im with u on this they work good but dont come off that quick

Old 12-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

i remember the old post talking about this, was worried when I was going to order the lock and ride windshield....but on the windshield, you can detack it in about 30 seconds and install in a minute or two....

don't have the handguards since i have the windshield and it sits in front of my hands...

Old 01-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Would it be possible to post close up picks of the hand guards? My dealer does not stock them and the Polaris website does not show the rear view or the mounts. Thanks for your help.
Joe

Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I will take some close up pics today after I get out of work and post them tonight. Elkbow where did you purchase your windshield? I would like one for winter plowing but would like to take it off for summer. this is one of the reasons I'm dissappointed with the guards. will the windshield work with the guards?

Old 01-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much. I can't wait to see the pics.
Joe

Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
I will take some close up pics today after I get out of work and post them tonight. Elkbow where did you purchase your windshield? I would like one for winter plowing but would like to take it off for summer. this is one of the reasons I'm dissappointed with the guards. will the windshield work with the guards?
I'm not a 100% on this but I don't think the lock and ride windshield will work with the 04's.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the pics posted and some other new ones as well while I was at it. I left a blank spot for tomarrow cause I am going to take a picture of the front of the plow with the custom plow markers attached that I made from stainless steel tubing.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the pics. I see now why they are not set up for quick installation and removal. I did not realize that there were metal (aluminium?) standoffs, thought they were all plastic. Does anyone know if the Maiers are the same type of mount? They look like they might offer more coverage. BTW is the cutout or notch on the top edge of the guard just for style, or does it serve a function?
Thanks,
Joe

Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris removed them from the 'Lock and Ride' section of their website....they are now called 'Quick Install Handguards'....saying that you can install them in 10-15 minutes:

handguards

Quick Reply: Lock N' Ride hand guards are a joke