Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman HO smokes Grizzly!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 04:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received the HO this afternoon, no mods yet except a set of 26 Mudrunners. The Grizzly on the other hand has a Highlifter high performance kit and 27 vamps on aluminum rims. He bugged me all day to race and I just wanted to break it in, finaly tonight I saud yes, only after six hours on the bike. Really it wasn't even a race, I shut down the bike after fifty, I know the Griz can go sixty but the damage was done. I didn't want to reck a bran new bike pushing it past sixty, I was already ahead by about six bike lengths.

Old 09-09-2000, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His Highlifter kit slowed him down[the tire part of the kit],but so does your 26 inch Mudrunners.I raced a 98 Grizz with my 99 Sportsman 500cc,I beat him as well.

Your winning this drag race is really no suprise,especially with the HO Sportsman.===Bill

Old 09-09-2000, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden with a 99 Sportsman before Bill. I can't imagine how the Griz lost. In the "haul ***" riding I did with him, he lost badly in all respests. Haven't ridden with an HO so I don't know about that.

Old 09-09-2000, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I dont mean to be the type to say no this bike is faster no this is. But I can say im not really sure how those HO's are but his Highlifter kit on his Grizzly might have played a role in that? I mean how can you expect a mud runner to be good at drags? Just my speculation........Congrats on the win though! Dont you love it when you beat someone that is just "egging it on"

Old 09-09-2000, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

HOW DOES A PIPE AND AND K&N AIR FILTER WITH JET KIT SLOW A BIKE DOWN? IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, LIKE WHEN YOU ADD HEADERS AND K&N TO VEHICLE ALL IT ADDS IS HORSEPOWER NOT REALLY ANY TORQUE AT ALL. HORSEPOWER USUALLY TRANSLATES TO HIGHER TRAP SPEEDS. SO REALLY ALL THE HIGH PERFORMANCE STUFF HELPED HIM.

Old 09-09-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

How do you like the mudrunners on your new HO??

One of the guys I ride with just ordered a yellow HO with the mudrunners. How do they handle on trails, compared to stock tires ??

Old 09-09-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

How do you like the mudrunners on your new HO??

One of the guys I ride with just ordered a yellow HO with the mudrunners. How do they handle on trails, compared to stock tires ??

Old 09-09-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I was at a Polaris dealer today and I saw the new H.O., I didn't think they were in Canada yet but they are. The one I saw was a yellow one it looked awsome. I also saw something interesting......it was a Magnum 500(green) with a back-hoe on the front for digging trenches I guess, the bucket was only like 12" wide, I thought that was neat.

Old 09-09-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YellowFellow,'
If you look real careful at my post,I put in [the tire part of the kit].

I am trying to suggust that the larger tires [27 inch] will certainly slow the Grizz down somewhat.In no way should the Highlifter kit slow him down though.Sorry if you mis interpited what I said.

Top of the day to yah,===Bill

Old 09-10-2000, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Exactly, the larger diameter tires might have given the guy a higher top speed than regular over a long wound out stretch, but it plays hell on acceleration. My AC will do about 1-2 mph. more totally wound out with the 27" Claws' added height, but it will not accelerate as quickly. In a race up to 50, the tires will definitely slow you down. Get them both about 50 side by side and then start the race, that will tell you a little more maybe. Even still, I can see one quad beating the other in a lot of circumstances. There is a guy on here that claimed his piped AC500 would outrun his piped SP500 in all aspects. I didn't beleive him, but he may have easily been right.

Quick Reply: Sportsman HO smokes Grizzly!!!!!!!