Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Share your scarry ATV moments

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a 99. I sold it after that little incident, and bought my Griz. Even after that nasty wreck I had with it, I still got $4000 for it!

Old 09-10-2000, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

My scarest monent is when i bought my P.O.S. If you don't wana get hurt, don't buy a Polaris. Later, dudes.

Old 09-10-2000, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

Mine was when me and my friend 99RCRTrailblazer the person above me were riding on a trail that hadnt been rode in a about a month soo it had some tall grass and a couple of days there was a storm which had some bad winds so we were ridin that trail in about 4th gear and all the sudden my front wheels slam in to a tree that fell durin that storm and sent the back of my 4wheeler rocketing over my front end and it happened so fast that i didnt have time to let go and when it landed i was under it and kenny(99RCRTrailblazer) had to pull it off of me and it took about another thirty minutes to get my4wheeler off of the log cause when i hit it it broke and went right where i landed. L8ta

Old 09-11-2000, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

The scariest moment I can remember is when my wife found out how much I paid for my Magnum500. YEEEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

Old 09-11-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

My scarriest moment was after years of riding a polaris the first 5 minutes on my banshee was pretty dang scary.

Old 09-11-2000, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer

About a year and a half ago in the early spring, I took an afternoon ride. At the time I was riding a month old 350 Big Bear, which was and is a good atv. Well in this area it is alot of thick piney woods and for the most part the trails follow large drainage gullies, and this is where I ride.

I had ridden 12 or so miles along when I see where a 4 wheeler had crossed the gulley. And so did I. I was happy to be across because the steep sides and deep water in the bottom around there had prevented me from ever exploring the land south of there before. Happy and alone I rode on.

About 30 min later the sky grew black to the south as a chill carring the smell of rain swept across the sky. This is often the case is South Texas in the early spring as large thunder storm cells move in from the Gulf. Well, seeing the rain falling in a dense sheet up a mile or so ahead, I made a u-turn and headed back for home the way a had come.

Well 10 min later I was back at my new crossing, seeing the water had already risen 6 or so inches, I hurried to cross. Slowing to enter, I increased speed to climb to steep bank on the far side as the front tires hit the bank the rears began to spin and sink in. I tried to back out, could not. I was stuck.

So begins the push, pull, lift and cursing we all know so well, while slinging mud across 90% of my body. Several minutes having passed the rain is hammering and I think why did I... well you know the feeling. Just then I realized that the water had now risen from knee level to hip level. Panic sets in, then I think, hey I'll float it out. So working the bike side to side I break the vacumn on the tires. Wrong answer, the high force of the current began pushing me and the bike down stream, fast. Now ten or so feet down the water is very deep, and the bike is now my flotation because I cannot touch the bottom.

At this point panic does not due justice to my condition, as I grasp for grass and mud along the fast moving bank. Time is a lost concept in my state of mind and all I want is OUT. Finally at a bend in the stream the bike hits LAND. The water being up enough on the steep bank and my finding a foot hold allow me to get the front wheels on somewhat dry land. There I sat holding on to keep the bike in one place and resting, searching for an idea. Then it hit me, a smallish tree in the stream really hit me. But the tree bound up in the bend and allowed me to stand on it. Now being up higher allowed me to lift up the rear and push the quad out and on the bank.

I was on the wrong side of the gully and had traveled 60 feet down stream, but I was free!
The Big Bear started, and I made it home in an hour, riding along the safe, dry Farm Road with the cars.

Old 09-11-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I guess I can share my scarriest and posibly stupidous moment.

I was riding with some new found riding friends for the first time. We were at a working strip mine near Harrisburg, PA .
Arrived early morning with intent to ride all day. There was me on a Warrior, a Banshee and 2 bikes. After a couple of hours we come to a wooded section and there is a small hill. The others had gotten ahead of me I could see from their tracks they went up the hill. The trail is tight more for bikes and a lot of foliage. I`m in 1st gear going slow up this hill it`s not very steep but steep enough. Ther was a trail off to the right but I keep looking straight ahead farther down the trail through the trees and under growth. The trail bends to the left I turn left while still looking all around then the handle bars are ripped right out of my hands. Will finish later they are up gradeing my computer now.

Old 09-11-2000, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

probaly my most scary moment was when i was on my warrior a few months ago. theres this 8 foot step up jump like thing and i was on the top not watching my speed ( note: this is my second time out on the bike). and i just went off the drop off bottemed out my suspension all that could be heard was "SH!7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as i went down i didnt even touch the face of the jump. it was awesome though got my adrenalin pumpin .

Old 09-11-2000, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

My scariest moment so far was watching my wife flip her trail boss over backwards on a steep hill. Fortunately, she had only bruises and the quad only suffered minor damage. Its one thing when its your own butt, but when a loved one goes over, thats another issue.

Old 09-13-2000, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

My scariest moment was when I was riding at my cousin's house and we were jumping this ditch like thing. I think he calls them tereses or something. He had my camera and got set up to take my pic when jumping and then I was going to take his. We had been jumping in the same place earlier but had just gone to get the camera. Anyways...I hit the jump and in mid-air I realized something was wrong. I was holding the handlebars, but they weren't connected to the 4-wheeler somehow. So I landed (very roughly)and threw off my helmet. Upon inspection, we found out apparently when I hit the jump my steering stem broke just underneath the handlebars. Oh yea...most importantly I was ok AND...my cousin got the picture! lol Here's the pic of me jumping and what the damage was when I landed...
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/chevytruckn83/brokejump.jpg">

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/chevytruckn83/brokejump.jpg">

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/chevytruckn83/steeringstem.gif">

Quick Reply: Share your scarry ATV moments