Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Unbiased polaris 800 power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbiased polaris 800 power?

Thanks cc1999, very insightful. I've finally met someone that goes through quads like I do! LOL

Old 01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey cam, do ever ride at the dunes (little sahara). I was thinking between the quads you have and the ones I have we could meet at the dunes sometime and have a little shootout of our own to campare. I have raced a BF750 down there but it was running 27" mudlite and even my buddy's stock twin peaks killed it. If your quads are close to stock we could get some good info from it.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

if you raced in sand cc1999 the bighorns do much better than stocks on the poo

Old 01-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Why would you say that, they are heavy and from my experince they are not that great in the sand, If anything I thought they were giving a little help to the Polaris. The twin peaks runs a heack of alot stronger with its stockers on than the Bighorns. It gives up about 3 quad lengths runing the bighorns vs the stocker OEM tires and wheels. Since My P650 is less than 1hp off from my buddy's Twin peaks we have done alot of different tire and wheel testing at the dunes and the Bighorns are a real handycap.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Boy I got to tell you cc1999, I don't think that a race in sand is a reasonable way to compare two big bores unless you are specifically concerned with how they perform in sand. The reason I say this is that sand is not the best surface for traction and too many variables are coming into play here. I suspect that tires will probably have the biggest impact on the outcome of any races in the sand.
BryceGTX

Old 01-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

With all of the tire and wheel comparisons we have done on hard pack and sand I don't think there was anything unfare about it other than the twin peaks was handycaped by about 15lbs of extra unsprung weght per tire over the weight of its stock tires and wheels. I think the proof is in the Dyno numbers From all the dyno work I have had done on my other quads I think vegasdudes numbers are dead on acurate. With the Polaris at a 160lb weigt disadvantage and less than 2 hp power advantage i would fully expect the twin Peaks/ prarie to give it a real run for its money on any surface.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: vegasdude
Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
ive ridden an AC 650 and im sure the 800 will have more power hands down just by what ive heard... the EFI is also a nice feature like you mentioned. ive heard low 70s on the 800s not sure if thats true just word of mouth i guess... and ill also get this post bumped up for ya

MAN, that 70 horsepower figure is just big rumor. Dynojet just made a map off my 800 for the power commanders. Stock my quad put out 34.4 to the rear wheel. With the mapping I got 36.3, just one tenth more than the brute force. You get 100% horsepower at 25 mph and it falls off at about 60 mph with a top speed of about 68 mph. On the street, it should pull 72 or so. This is what the dyno sheet shows. The 800 does have a lot of power, but.................the quad surely isn't 70 hp................UNLESS you meant 70 miles per hour, then you would be correct!!!

yeah i ment 70MPH sorry for not making that more through... do you know how many horses your 800 is pushing at the crank

Old 01-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden both the Brute Force and 800 EFI and I own a 700 EFI. My friend had a BF and sold it and now has the 800 EFI....why, suspension. I just read in Dirtwheels that someone has shocks for the Brute Force, thats what it needed. But he like riding my 700 EFI, the storage compartments, etc. that he got rid of his BF.

When we rode, the BF didn't pound my 700 EFI bad and riding the trails I would smoke him due to the poor suspension on the BF.

Anyways, when I drove the 800 EFI, the acceleration is comparable to the BF. Considering the 800 weighs over 150 pounds more, thats pretty impressive. I could pull wheelies alittle easier on the BF than the 800.....

now here is the kicker....when I went down to the dealer this past Saturday, I was BSing with their sales guys....I was joking about trading my '05 700 EFI for a 800....we started talking about tires. The guy tells me that for the heck of it, they stuck 25" tires on the 800 and went out and rode it and raced the BF....no contest, it pulled the BF fairly easy. He said it was hard to keep the front end down and under control, that he was leaned over the handlebars on the start because when the clutch engaged it just wanted to come up....he made me laugh because he was joking around saying that he leaned so far forward that he just sat there and did a burnout....I laughed, not sure if he was $hitten me or not....but he said it was amazing with the 25" tires on there to make it the same as the BF....

Truly I like the looks and feel sitting on the BF...but the storage, ride, and EFI on the Polaris will keep me on the Polaris for now. I've always liked Kawasaki's....and also Yamaha's....my ole' Honda 300 Fourtrax was one of the toughest machines I've ever owned....

its a matter of what we ride, what is under our *** is the best thing there is...right now for me its a '05 700 EFI....but who knows next year......although I did keep my last machine for two years.....I think thats a record....

be safe guys and anyone that visits New Mexico, give me a shout and we'll do some serious riding....adios amigos....

dave

Old 01-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Good point cc1999. But rear wheel HP numbers say nothing about gearing and clutching. Also a single number for rear wheel HP completely ignores the torque curve. I suspect the EFI will have a better torque curve over the carb. The weight may not be so much of an issue when you a add a 200 lb driver and 50 lbs of fluids. It sounds too close to call to me.
BryceGTX

Old 01-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting guys, keep it going, I too would like to see some more comparisons stock to stock as there's an infinite number of variables that can be added once changes are made from stock or are modified.

Quick Reply: Unbiased polaris 800 power?